“Incredible!”
other travellers have booked this property
Cabin Exterior
Mama's Farmhouse
Smoky Mountain Opry
Ripley's Old MacDonald's Farm Mini-Golf
Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 32 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Logan L
“Nice cabin, horrendous nightmare of a company”
Reviewed 15 March 2015 for a stay in December 2014
people found this review helpful

I got married on 12/13/14 in this cabin. The cabin itself is beautiful, even if slightly dirty. My issue is with Eden Crest. We opted not to do a wedding package from Eden Crest because it was such a small wedding. The only thing we hired Eden Crest to do was to provide our officiant.

To start at the beginning, when we arrived the night before the wedding the fireplace didn't work, (which I see still has not been fixed from reading reviews of both previous and later renters) nor did the hot tub, or the outdoor lights. We also saw several roaches in the kitchen. Getting someone on the phone was a pain but to their credit, they made sure someone came out around noon the day of their wedding. He said the pilot went out on the fireplace, fixed it and the other stuff and left quickly. We later discovered that no matter what we did, the fireplace wouldn't stay lit. But by that time, we couldn't get a hold of anyone at Eden Crest. The minister was supposed to there at 5:45, and wasn't. Nor was he there at 6, 6:15, or 6:20 when we finally attempted to contact Eden Crest and couldn't get a hold of anyone. My husband thought to Google the minister and got lucky. When we called him, he said that Eden Crest cancelled our wedding! He apparently was called and told that our wedding was no longer in need of an officiant, and he was needed elsewhere. Keep in mind, every time that we spoke to Eden Crest (probably 6 times or so between making payments and general questions), we made sure to confirm the officiant, including the day before the wedding when they called to informed us our flowers had been delivered. The minister was on his way home from another wedding and was absolutely mortified at Eden Crest and said this isn't the first time something like this has happened. He said he'd rush over right away and got there around 7:30. Our reception was due to start at 8pm, by the way. We rushed through the ceremony and found out that we had to pay the minister AGAIN. We had already paid Eden Crest but apparently, when they cancelled him, they didn't refund us our money. I'd also like to know why his fee was significantly cheaper than what we paid Eden Crest. Because of how late the wedding started, we didn't have much time for photos afterward.

So, we rush through the ceremony, we do the marriage paperwork with the minister, get a few staged photos done while the minister filled stuff out, and go to rush to the reception restaurant, only to discover that we can't leave the cabin. The code that they gave us to unlock the door, no longer worked. If you look at other online reviews, there have been previous break ins at this cabin, so the thought of leaving it unlocked made us nervous. Five calls a little after 8pm on Saturday went unanswered so we decided to risk it and thankfully nothing happened. We were so late to the reception we didn't get to cut the cake, toast, or dance.

Sunday, we discovered that the closets were infested with wasps and bees. Ladybugs and stuff like that, I understand but not roaches, wasps and bees. Monday we went to actually speak in person to Eden Crest and was met with a lukewarm apology and an offer of a free night and "discounted" rate (they only put the cost of the minister towards the fee of staying longer) until Thursday, which they later called back and changed to Wednesday, despite my numerous confirmations of the date and them admitting to having their employee on tape saying Thursday. Had my father not fallen ill, we would have just left. They said the minister being cancelled was done by an ex-employee and therefore wasn't their fault. I contacted them via Facebook as well, when I couldn't get a hold of anyone and was spoken to in a very rude manner. Even when I stated I wasn't looking for anything for free, just a sincere apology they had the audacity to tell me that had I used their wedding planners, my wedding would have been better. The wedding I planned was small, beautiful, and exactly what I wanted at no where near the cost of what they charge. How would it have been better to use them when the one thing they were in charge of, they screwed up? They also informed me that the minister being late shouldn't have effected or caused any "missed" moments (photos, cake, dance, etc.) This company seems to run their business in such a poor manner, I don't know how they are still open. Bait and switch combined with rude employees and a lackadaisical attitude seems to be what their business is based on. My advice is to stay far away from this business. I have numerous photos and proof of what happened in the event they respond to this and try to discredit this review as they've done to others.

Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
31 Mar 2015
We have apologized repeatedly. We gave you credit for the minister fees, a 25% discount, and a night free as compensation for the minister mix up. No one has ever told you that you were out of luck. We simply do not do business that way. Our hearts are sincere in providing a wonderful experience for all of our guests. It is important to understand that we did not plan your wedding, we simply provided you with a cabin and contacted a minister on your behalf. You chose to plan the wedding including the flowers, cake, photographer and reception. We had no control over any of those services. We are very sorry that there was a mix up surrounding the minister. This was clearly a horrible mistake and we gave you generous compensation that was $400 in credit and refunds. This obviously could never be considered telling you tough luck. The delay in minister was inexcusable and we accept full responsibility. While we can understand that things may have felt rushed with your photographer that was something that could have been avoided had we planned the entire wedding. We could have asked the photographer to work around the situation and extend their scheduled time which they do when needed. It is unfortunate that you cannot accept our heartfelt apology. This was a mistake and one we are sorry for but we pray you can move past it and enjoy your married life without bitterness and un-forgiveness ruining your days and nights. We have done all that we can to apologize and make amends. You accepted our compensation of $400 which demonstrates that you also accepted our apology. Truly accepting it would now allow you to move on in your life. We wish you all the best.
Lori V
Orlando, Florida
“Great expectations- not delivered!”
Reviewed 2 January 2015 for a stay in December 2014

We rented this cabin after much searching for a place big enough for us and our pets. Imagine our surprise,after a 12 hour drive to the area, a phone call, from Eden Crest, Todd, indicating we would have to board our pets if we did not have a crate!! He told me someone we would need to bring our dogs to their office for approval!!! My conversation with Todd, blew me away. Took all the wind out of our sails. Our dogs are loving house pets. At no time, did we misrepresent ourselves. We had just arrived, and we now had huge knots in our stomachs. After freaking out, we had just drove 12 hours to get there, he calls back, and says, don't worry, sorry, its OK now. WTH??? It wasn't really. After our arrival, the air mattress and child gates were not there as planned. They had someone bring them out. Surprise, she was told to take pictures of our dogs, it was not over! This was to be a dream vacation, and it was already tainted.
The cabin was nice enough, but was sorely in need of a good cleaning. From upstairs, you could see all the dust. Also, there was a huge amount of ladybugs, alive and dead on all the windowsills. Gross!!! On the Eden Crest site, 2 prior guests complained of this. Nothing was done.
While we were there, the flame went out in the fireplace. My husband stayed home to wait on maint guy because he was still nervous about the dogs. The maintenance guy showed and once again, freaking out over the dogs. Told my husband to hide my dog from other employees!! What??? He fixed the flame, but it was back out by the end of the day. Christmas eve and day were without a fire in the fireplace. From this point on, no dogs were left alone for fear the management company would do something else rash.
The downstairs level smelled very musty and there were no board games at all!!! The chess set was missing pieces. The couches were old and stained.
Upon further looking, it appears Eden Crest changed their pet policy after we had rented this. Not my problem but they def tried to make it mine. they put a real damper on our stay. Never again!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
5 Jan 2015
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your last visit at Black Bear Hideaway. Very little about our pet policy has changed. We used to charge a non-refundable pet free for every four-legged family member that is brought to a cabin. We now do not charge for the first pet that is brought into a pet friendly cabin. The weight requirements, exclusion of certain breeds and charges for additional pets has always been the same policy over the years. It has not changed. Our notes on your reservation clearly notated that you were bringing 2 dogs not four. There was also no request for a larger breed exception. Had you mentioned that you were bringing additional dogs and larger ones we would have been able to discuss the requirements in advance instead of upon your arrival. While we do not allow Pit Bulls for obvious reason we made an exception for you and asked that you keep them boarded while you were not in the cabin. This was extremely accommodating to you considering the fact that you snuck the dogs in without permission and Pit Bulls are an excluded breed that are not allowed into cabins.

We have made a special point of informing all guests in numerous ways that the Smoky Mountains National Park purposefully has released ladybugs in the area and they are a protected species due to the important work they do to protect the forest. We cannot treat for ladybugs outside of cabins. They are very resourceful and numerous in the area. During the Spring and Summer season it is a constant pursuit to remove any dead ladybugs from windowsills prior to guests arrivals. The cabin is treated by pest control and as you observed it is working. We are sorry that you found any dead ladybugs on the windowsills. We try to get them all removed but they will fly in when guests come and go from the cabins and will in turn die within the cabin.

We also cannot predict when something may break. When something malfunctions we will take every step to get the situation resolved quickly. Had you told us that it malfunctioned again we would have returned to fix any additional issues.

Again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but our staff tried everything they could to accommodate your requests and went up and above to try and make your Christmas vacation a pleasant experience.
KY
Reviewed 30 March 2013 for a stay in March 2013

Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
30 Mar 2013
It appears that your expectations and our understanding of them were not clearly understood. We have worked with literally hundreds of brides to date and never have we had someone with the issues you experienced. We truly are sorry things did not go as planned but we simply were not told you wanted us to arrive 90 minutes before the wedding to have pictures taken or I assure you we would have been there. The bouquet you ordered was exactly what you picked out. If you had selected something with more filler in it you would have had a larger one but that was a personal choice you made. It was quite pretty and while it may not have been as large as you expected, it was what you selected. Pink and white roses. The site you selected for the wedding is very steep and the minister struggled climbing to it. He is an elderly man and this was difficult for him. I apologize for the miscommunication over your names as he is normally quite good. I have not had issues with him in the past and I am wondering if maybe being out of breath from the steep climb had something to do with it. He is a man with a very kind heart and would never had intentionally mispronounced your name. it is unfortunate that the cabin was robbed during your stay and that your purse along with a TV was taken. There was no forced entry which means you either left a door open or did not properly secure the cabin leaving it available for someone to enter and steal property. This is also regretful but responsibility for the care of the cabin belongs to the person occupying it. Had there been a forced entry it would have been an entirely different circumstance and you would not have been involved in the replacement of the stolen TV. It was explained to you when you booked the wedding that the photographer was part of the package you purchased and it was your option to supply your own photographer. We would have gladly supplied a photographer since you had that included in your package but you asked us not to send her as you were supplying your own. We explained to you that there would not be a refund and you understood that when you booked the wedding with us. This is a very unusual set of circumstances and we are deeply sorry for any misunderstanding between us. We do wish you the very best in your new life as husband and wife and hope that you are blessed in your marriage.
touristte...
Columbus, Ohio
“Incredible!”
Reviewed 28 March 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

My co-workers and I attended a conference in Pigeon Forge. We didn't want to be seperated by the walls of hotel rooms so we decided to stay in a place where we could all be together. We found the Black Bear Hideaway and it was truly a dream come true! This place has everything you would ever need and then some! It was perfect for the 8 of us and our heads were spinning, thinking of returning with our families and even extended families! We enjoyed cooking and eating together, the hot tub and watching the big basketball game on the wide screen TV complete with surround sound in the theater room. This place was extremely clean. It was fun staying in this incredible cabin! It says this place sleeps 14 but with all the open floor available, lots of sleeping bags could be used! Three full floors of FUN! Since there are three levels, this place would not be great for older folks.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and the beauty of the cabin
Liked least: I can't think of anything that I didn't like!
Travelling group: With Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
kentucky
Reviewed 20 October 2011 for a stay in October 2011
person found this review helpful

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 25-34
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
No pets
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing