“Very good for a Friday lunch”
Review of Sotto Sopra

Sotto Sopra
Ranked #1 of 55 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$11 - US$36
Description: The team from Ormeggio at The Spit bring you Sotto Sopra, an Italian Woodfired Trattoria on Sydney's northern beaches. Sotto Sopra is fully licensed and BYO wine every day of the week. It serves Italian inspired, produce-driven dishes in a relaxed and informal setting. Skip the hard decisions and go for the Chef's Sharing Feast!
Reviewed 7 April 2018

We went to Sotto Sopra for a simple Friday lunch yesterday and had the spaghetti vongole and some crunchy bread with ricotta. It was excellent and good value for a substantial serve, so much so the we didn't need dinner. Very simple but delicious. We started with an aperol cocktail, which was great to start with as it was a warm Sydney day and was very refreshing. We have a big birthday party coming up and that will definitely be the starter. We usually go for the wine by the glass as it lets us try a few different ones, but this time we just had the house red which was a light blend with sangiovase showing through. It went very well with the spaghetti and at $9 a glass, was excellent value.

Date of visit: April 2018
AN_PAV, Owner at Sotto Sopra, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Grazie mille! Thank you for writing such a lovely review! We're looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Great ambiance, Food was fantastic and the service was good and knowledgeable. We did have one hiccup with the waiter spilling wine on one of the guests but they were very apologetic so this can be overlooked.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Sardinia style Italian restaurant, very well patronised so quite crowded and noisy. The Italian service was fabulous, and the wine suggestions faultless. The food is delicious but there is a heavy emphasis on anchovy oil so may taste a bit salty if you are not used to it. Would loved to have tried the sorbet desert but was too full from the first two courses.

AN_PAV, Owner at Sotto Sopra, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to offer your honest feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed your meal with us. I will be sure to pass on your notes regarding the emphasis on anchovy oil used to the Restaurant Manager, we appreciate any opportunity to continue to improve. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

From the minute you arrive at the door to the minute you leave, this place has the most outstanding service I have experienced in a restaurant for a long time. As locals, we kept hearing fabulous reports so we decided to go there for my husband's birthday at the beginning of February. It was amazing! Our waiter, Francesco looked after us with charm, warmth, humour and expert attention to detail. I took my brother and sister-in-law there for lunch last week (approximately 3 weeks later) and on arriving at the door, Francesco opened it, beamed a fabulous smile and said "Welcome back!" Wow!!! That welcome marked the start of a seriously awesome long lunch!

The wine list is extensive with something for everyone. The food is divine!!! I can highly recommend the roasted eggplant filled ravioli with zucchini, ginger butter and almonds to start. My husband loved the "Carpaccio di manzo" (yes,it's raw!). I've had the chicken and the angus beef for mains and they've both been fabulous. My brother loved the Seafood Tagliolino. The Torta "sottasoppra" al mango for 2 is a must for dessert to share.

Make sure you book for dinner: They get full. We had no trouble booking half an hour before for lunch. It's an experience...and a wonderful one. After a year, they already have one hat. Not only is the food sensational but they have a secret weapon...their service! Can't wait to go back!!!

AN_PAV, Owner at Sotto Sopra, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Grazie!
Wow what amazing feedback to read, we are so happy that you had such a wonderful time with us. I will certainly pass over your kind words to our team and we cant wait to see you again!

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

We went there on a wet Sydney night for a romantic quiet evening.
We were met at the door and looked after so well for the rest of the evening. The staff were attentive without being intrusive. They had an extensive knowledge of the menu and what they didn’t know they happily shouted questions out to the above chef for advice…I thought it was a nice touch.
They also guided me through the wine list and we ended up with a beautiful Italian white wine.
We choose the birthday set menu and all the dishes were flavourful and of appropriate portions. The taste of all the dishes was intricate and you could tell we were dinning at a fine dinning restaurant.
Would I go back there ? Would I recommend it to others?…in a heartbeat

Date of visit: March 2018
AN_PAV, Owner at Sotto Sopra, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Grazie Steve!

Wow! what amazing feedback!

Thank you kindly for the positive words, I will most certainly pass this over to our management and waitstaff as I am sure the would be so happy to hear such great comments.

We are glad you had an amazing birthday evening!