“Scrummy dinner ”

Price range: US$17 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chris & Bronwyn offer you a very warm welcome to their 18th century country inn and restaurant serving the very best in Welsh & local produce. With a wood burning fire, a great selection of wines and friendly service. Our a la carte menu can be served in our cosy restaurant, in our dog friendly bar, or our conservatory with panoramic views of the beautiful Wye Valley.
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Tired and looking for somewhere to eat after a long day riding we found the Inn at Penallt. Recommended on TripAdvisor we were not let down. The inn serves quality ales, serves cracking food and is supported by great service. We all chose their pie which I can say was delicious. Overall the pub Is set in stunning countryside, serving great pub food and I would therefore highly recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed 13 May 2018

The Inn at Penallt sits on the Welsh side of the Wye Valley in Monmouthshire. It is popular with Anglers (the river is c1/2 mile away) and walkers. We went for a celebration as a treat for my wife.
The Inn is quite small, currently 4 rooms, with plans placed for approval to create a further two rooms. The Inn dates from the 17th century and is stone construction with paved floors mostly. The Inn is owned by Chris and Bronwyn Boston who are an extremely friendly couple. The Inn is renowned as dog friendly.
The gardens are landscaped with a Pergola seating area and open area seating weather permitting. Thursday nights is a treat of Stone baked Pizza in the Inns own wood burning oven.
The accomodation is spotless and very comfortable beds gave a good nights sleep.En-suire facilities are standard.
The restaurant offers excellent food with very good service. The Welsh Breakfast included in the room rate is outstandingly good.
There is an open plan bar area with a log burner that provided good comfort for early May evenings. The selection of drinks available is good and truly excellent is the selection of Gins - not vast but good quality.
The Inn is very popular with locals and the bar is lively in the evenings.

I cannot overpraise this Inn. Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Tooling around the Wye River valley, I we happened upon this inn & restaurant for lunch. Be warned it's not where my Garmin said the center of Panallt is. That "center of town" was just a farm house out by itself in the middle of a field on a tiny one lane road. But after a few twists and turns from there we saw a sign with three letters and an arrow -- "inn" So we turned to see if it really meant lunch could be had. Without that sign you'd never know anything was there. (Notice no street address in this listing.) Anyway, to our surprise the place had 5-6 other parties there eating lunch. We figured we'd be alone as it was so secluded. Lovely facility, nice views, good piece of property. Friendly staff, though perhaps a bit overworked as it took a little while for things to happen. Menu had a decent number of selections.
We ordered the charcuterie plate, the fish and chips and the steak pie, along with the homemade pasta from the "kids and light eaters" menu. All were fine, though the steak pie was a tad overcooked. There were a few beers on tap, including local ones. Would have been nice if there were a bigger selection, though.

Reviewed 3 May 2018

I want to say how marvellous the booking service was- friendly staff, very flexible.
Dog friendly - much appreciated.
Menu incorporates child friendly meals - excellent.

However, we were very disappointed with the quality of the meals.
We visited for my daughter's 15th birthday and we looked forward to a good meal, particularly given the previous Tripadvisor ratings and the 2016 Telegraph review.
We waited over an hour for the warm bread starter. In fact, my daughter eventually went to the bar and asked how long it would take to arrive a she she was so hungry.

The food was very, very disappointing. Perhaps our standards are too high? We have visited many Michelin starred restaurants and we have a chef in the family, but we do eat in pubs and cafes and enjoy food generally.

I had the vegetable muffin, chosen specifically for the intriguing pea/chilli salad. When it arrived the salad was nowhere to be seen, just some lollo rosso (1980s payback) on the plate. I asked the server who said that the item should have been taken off the menu due to lack of salad but it was a mistake to leave it on the menu - gosh, so hard to make a pea/chilli salad!?! The muffin was dry and underseasoned, although the parsnip purée was delicious.
My mother had fish and chips. Chips out of a packet. Fish so dry we should have popped it into water for its own sake - very overcooked! I dare not even discuss the crushed peas, inedible, not seasoned.
My daughter had sausage and mash and she's enjoyed that, so did our dog who had the second sausage which was a bit too blackened for my daughter.
The birthday girl and my husband has pork. The carrots were so hard it was not possible to get the fork into them, inedible...and we like al dente veggies. The pork was also overlooked and under seasoned.
Brownie ok, except for sauce underneath so my daughter left that. The sticky toffee pud was dry and my daughter could not finish it.

Perhaps the usual chef was off when we went at lunchtime. I just can't understand why other reviews are so contrary to ours. Tripadvisor is usually such a good quality gauge in my opinion but here I was left in doubt.

As I paid, over a £100 bill, I was asked if the meal was ok. I answered truthfully and the young lady at the bar reached for a piece of A4 and asked me to jot down my comments for the chef and manager! Sadly, I wanted to get away to spend time with my daughter and pop to the local Waitrose on the way home. I explained that I would feedback here and I hope that it does help the team.

I cannot recommend the Inn at Penallt at alll.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely meal and spent a lovely afternoon at this quaint restaurant we will definitely be going back

1  Thank Kay H