“Fantastic!”

Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Dolgellau
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At The Gatehouse Steakhouse we offer a unique and none pretentious Steakhouse Experience, bringing out the very best in Local Welsh Produce. All of our Meats/Poultry and Fish dishes are cooked over our state-of-the-art Chargrill for that fantastic smokey flavour. Set in a Grade 2 listed building in the Beautiful Historic Town of Dolgellau, you can experience a 'big-city restaurant' with an exceptional drinks menu, with over 15 Beers, a Great Wine Selection, Bourbons, Whisky and Cognacs dating back 25 years...and more.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited The Gatehouse Steakhouse with friends after hearing good things about it and we weren’t disappointed! We booked a couple of days before, as our visit was on a Saturday night and I’m glad we did as numerous walk-in customers were turned away due to the restaurant being fully booked. The staff were very friendly and our food arrived swiftly. Our party enjoyed three steaks and the chargrilled chicken and all agreed that the food was outstanding. My fiancé described it as the best steak he’d ever had. We were so impressed with the food that we went back three nights later for my fiancé’s birthday. We rang on the day to book again and the staff were once again very helpful, asking us to arrive just before 730pm as they had a party of 20 booked in and this way they would be able to sort our food out before their time was taken up looking after the party.
Once again, the food was outstanding, the Tomahawk steak and ribs this time.
We will certainly be back the next time we are in Dolgellau and will be recommending The Gatehouse Steakhouse to anyone who will listen!

1  Thank Dandywire

Reviewed 13 June 2018

Booked for 7pm, and were given an excellent front window seat. Service was good, food very good and the bill very reasonable. The T bone steaks we both had were cooked to perfection. Two T bones, a bottle of wine, and a couple of beers, just £60.00. You can't go wrong at those sort of prices. John and his team know how to look after you. Do pay a visit to The Gatehouse.

3  Thank Mercman111
Dolan31, Owner at The Gatehouse Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Mercman111
Thank you for visiting The Gatehouse Steakhouse, i am delighted to read that all was to your liking, and that you felt you had good value for money...i must agree, our TBONE deal is great value for our customers...i tried to remove the deal last summer and was in danger of public execution by stoning, so it is here to stay haha
I will pass your complements on to the team, im sure they will be delighted with the feedback also.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Tonight we had a lovely birthday meal for my sons 18th. The food was amazing, cooked perfectly, from the T-Bone steak, Burger and Ribs we could not fault it. The Service was friendly but what else would you expect in North Wales. We will most definitely be making a return visit to sample some more of your delicious local food. Many Thanks

4  Thank 16Davies

Dear 16Davies

Thank you for choosing The Gatehouse to celebrate such a milestone birthday. I am glad your son and your group had a lovely evening, and are very grateful for the fantastic feedback. Also thank you for the email, i passed the comments on to the staff who were delighted.

We hope to see you back here again sometime.

Regards

Reviewed 4 June 2018

I had a brilliant time. I would highly recommend the Steakhouse to any burger lovers out there. Also, the swordfish is quite good. The food is fabulous but the calm scenery is even better. The staff are friendly and smile all the time. Dessert was the icing on the cake. It is quite expensive but you will realise it is a reasonable amount once you eat the food. The views over the mountains are glorious! (Just make sure you get there when it's light.)"

3  Thank MnSnGnZ
Dolan31, Owner at The Gatehouse Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Dear MnSnGnZ
Thank you for visiting The Gatehouse Steakhouse recently...if i am correct, you dined here 2 nights on the bounce?? I am glad our burgers were a stand-out item on the menu. A lot of work goes into our burger, and it genuinely is Home Made..unlike many of the burgers you see on menus called 'home made burgers'. Our burger is hand rolled, not pressed, with the same recipe i have been using since my London days...and it will never change!!!
Our service staff do a great job to serve so many guests and give everybody a nice experience...fair play to them running up and down them stairs in such heat recently. I will pass your comments on!

Best Wishes

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Visited on an early evening in half term. Didn't book but we were easily seated by a nice young man. Ordered drinks which were promptly served. The drinks were all fine apart from the cola which was obviously a cheaper brand, although not priced as such. We asked for a children's menu and were advised that there isn't one as such but they do have options, if some what limited. These are nuggets, fish fingers or a 4oz steak. One of my children, being a bit fussy just had a basket of chips. My other companions ordered a 8oz steak and a 4oz steak respectively. I had the chicken kebab. Although the menu mentions both "steak chips" and "fries" depending on what meal you order, they are all in fact frozen chips. The steak and chips came accompanied by a small side salad garnish. Everything else is classed as a side "extra". Usually in other establishments you may get a garnish of grilled tomatoes or maybe mushrooms perhaps. The portions seemed a bit on the stingy side. The kebab was ok. It was served with red slaw, salad and a small pitta. The slaw was delicious and I wish there was a bit more of it!! Price was £57. I think this is a bit pricey for 3 meals, no extras, and a basket of chips. Cash only payments on the night but have to presume this was only a temporary issue. We have had some awesome food over the week in snowdonia which may have tainted our view, but we did have more for less in certain eateries, which sadly made this one of the more average places we have visited by far.

2  Thank KittensRevenge

Dear KittensRevenge
Thank you for taking the time to visit The Gatehouse Steakhouse. I am sorry that your expectations were not met as such, and that you left somewhat underwhelmed, mostly due to felling we did not offer great value for money. I would like to mention that the Cola you were swerved was Pepsi...not exactly a cheap brand, and the drinks menu does state Pepsi...we are more than happy to show you should you have wanted to see it.
The childrens menu was entirely my fault, sorry about that...we have childrens menus made up with colouring pictures/word searches etc, but i was late putting in my top-up order with the designer-printer...so that day we had to read the options to our guests, which i agree is not ideal for our service staff or our little guests.
As for the portions...i feel we offer good value for money. on your skewers you had 4 chicken thighs, pitta bread, Chips, a large salad, and coleslaw, the kebabs were marinated in chimichurri, these bits all cost money...and with 20% of the dish belonging to the VAT man, my prices are set accordingly to industry standards, me must make a profit to be able to operate, i hope you understand this, we do not over charge, but price our dishes fairly.
As for chips...fries...doorstops...after returning to the UK 2 years ago i am unable to find a good hand cut chip. because something is prepared on-site does not necessarily make it better. I often hear 'maris piper are the best'...but then hald of the sack goes to waste due to black-eye in the potatoes...a third of the bag are too small...and the rest can be chipped...then after all that messing about, i dont feel it is any better than using frozen. Our priority is serving fantastic steaks/burgers/poultry/fish...the chips are a garnish, and the ones we use i am satisfied with. Unfortunately these days home made chips are a bit of a mugs game...serving 5 fat chips on a plate draws more complaints than serving a basket of frozen ones...i opt for consistency and profitability on my chips.

Thankyou for visiting us, i hope my honest response is a good explanation to the queries you had. i hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Snowdonia!