“Great Seafood with Cajun Flair”
Review of Half Shell

Half Shell
Ranked #110 of 1 550 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$6 - US$47
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A Memphis institution, the original Half Shell opened in 1973 on the northwest corner of Poplar Avenue and Mendenhall in east Memphis. Ten years later, in order to have more space, we moved across the street to our current location at 688 S. Mendenhall. On February 12, 2003 our first expansion took place with the opening of The Half Shell at Southwind, located at 7825 Winchester Road in southeast Memphis. The Half Shell has won numerous awards in The Commercial Appeal, Memphis Magazine and The Memphis Flyer, including first-place awards for Best Seafood for 2017-18. As a proud member of the Memphis community, the Half Shell supports and participates in a wide variety of charity events, such as Soup Sunday, the Empty Bowls Project and Cirque du CMOM. Come and experience our award-winning cuisine, featuring fresh seafood and New Orleans-inspired fare.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a hidden gem. The seafood is wonderful. Crab bisque is even better. Great atmosphere as well.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The oysters were especially good this weekend at the Half Shell on Mendenhall. The meat was a perfect creamy color with a clear liquid surrounding it. Very fresh tasting and they were extra large. Unfortunately they lacked the brine ( or salty ) taste of a Blue Point but were ever much as satisfying. If you're on the hunt for excellent oysters in the near future, skip past the over hyped downtown offerings and head out to the Half Shell. You'll be glad you did.
Our server was very accomadating and even switched the TV in our area to the CWS game Arkansas vs. Texas .... Woo Pig Sooie! The whole meal was perfect, but the Oysters were the star this weekend.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

On my last visit to half shell, I ordered a half order of crab legs, as I was eating my food the waiter asked me if I ordered a half or full order ? I responded with a half order; the waiter then preceded to take the plate from in front of me literally while I was still eating. ‍♀️

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Had oysters Rockefeller and then had the full king crap plate. Man the food and service was excellent (thanks Andy). Looking forward to trying some other menu choices.

Thank J. Darrell A
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

I called Half Shell to place an order for pickup around 1:30am. The restaurant does not close until 3:00am. I was staying less than 10 min from the restaurant, and wanted to go ahead and place an order so that the food could be getting prepared while I was in route. The lady who answered the phone was rude. I was told I could not place a pickup order after 10, and besides they were already doing last call in the kitchen. I asked what time last call was, and the lady was very nonchalant and curt. I was essentially told that although the restaurant did not close for another hour and a half, I would not be served if I left my hotel and made it to the restaurant to place my order.

Been to Half Shell? Share your experiences!