“overrated but not bad”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: McKellar - Whitehaven-Levi PD
Reviewed 28 June 2018

we came here at the recommendation of fellow co workers. everything just seems slower in Memphis and Uncle Lou's epitomized that. from how long it took to order to how long it took all 3 of us to get our food. it wasn't like there was a lot of us. just 3. they guy who ordered first was the last one to get his wings which from the looks of it were NOT good looking and based on his review they were even that good. took 50 minutes for him to get his food. the other guy and i were long done eating by the time he got his food which he had to go up and ask about 3 different times. the monster burger i had was good. there was no doubt if it was cooked all the way. when they say monster they mean it. i don't know how someone could eat one with all the "fixins" that are offered on it. corn nuggets were good as well but not very many of them. fried pickle spears were different but tasty

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

This is the very best !!
The best food
So friendly.
You will come away HAPPY and well fed
Save room for their fried pies

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

I was very excited to try this place based on it's publicity. I had the managers special with homestyle wings, fried pickles, fried corn poppers, and biscuits. The biscuits were pretty good and the fried pickles we're interesting, though due to the strong flavor I couldn't have finished them even if I tried. The chicken had very little meat and seemed to be of low quality with almost no discernable flavor. I split all the wings open to let them cool and also check for doneness. The meat on one of the wings was completely dark grey, dry, and fibery. I've never seen something like that before and can only speculate that the wing had been refried and frozen multiple times before finally being served. (I wish I had taken a picture of that but my only reaction was to stop eating and go back to my hotel.)

The folks working the joint are super nice and have great service. But I would not consider coming back here if staying in a nearby hotel, let alone making it a destination stop like other reviewers apparently did.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

We have been planning on coming here for several years but just never could find the time. Finally found time this weekend, and I am mad at myself for never finding time to get here earlier. This is absolutely the best fried chicken I have ever put in my mouth. We got a seven piece meal mixed, coated in sweet spicy love and it was wonderful. Sides of fries and corn nuggets were great, and I cannot forget the honey biscuits. Everyone there was absolutely as friendly as they can be. We live nearly 3 hours away and we will be coming back here every chance we get.

1  Thank bigdaddyd701
Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stop here every time we go though Memphis. The love hot sauce is like no other. I have had chicken all over and there are many that claim to be the best, but this is it. We hit this first thing on our trip. The chicken is superb, but the corruption carrots, corn nuggets, and biscuits are heavenly. Uncle Lou is a great guy. He talks with the customers and offered us more drinks. Excellent service. Everyone is super nice. There is a reason this place was featured on Food network! Food worth the long haul.

Date of visit: June 2018

Been to UNCLE Lou's Fried Chicken? Share your experiences!