All reviews west highland way loch lomond steak pie lovely hotel great food top floor evening meal both nights single room family room bar and restaurant stunning views drying room bit dated beer garden stayed here for one night family run hotel
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I was ignored at the bar, staff were all running around the restaurant in a terrible flap. The guy next to me was rolling his eyes at the same comical events. Eventually I was served, I ordered a pint of IPA and asked if I could be accommodated for dinner. I was told in an hour. "No problem, I'll take that pint and sit outside and wait". Still no pint. I asked for the pint 5 mins later, and was abruptly snapped at. So, no pint, and no dinner for me.
Inexperienced staff, no customer service skills whatsoever. AVOID.
(All I wanted was one pint).

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank David L
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed as part of the WHW. Had a solo room on the top floor which had a powerful shower and a good hairdryer. Spoiled by large family in adjoining rooms that kept slamming doors as they went between each others rooms.

Awful weather so all visitors were dining inside. The first 3 things that I ordered from the menu were not available but I had the steak pie and it was very good, a large portion too.

Not sure what was going on with the staffing though, everyone was very pleasant but it seemed disorganised. I had to ask twice for my glass of wine, and after a while the chef came out to say he hadn't forgotten about me but the new boy in the kitchen hadn't turned the oven on properly!!

It didn't seem busy but there was 1 man, from the previously mentioned large family, making a fuss because the wifi was painfully slow- welcome to the highlands I thought as I sipped my wine!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Visited here on Sunday 24th July to have a late lunch with friends. Used to have a boat berthed here and visited the bar/restaurant regularly. Unfortunately the service has massively went downhill. On arrival all the outside tables which where unoccupied hadn’t been cleared with dirty plates and glasses left lying on them. Had to clear a table myself.

Next I asked a passing staff waiter (gentleman with the long hair) if we could have a menu please. Was told to “follow him”. We got inside to the bar and he just pointed and said “there”. Very professional.

Next problem was when we went upto order the same gentleman just barked to us at the bar saying we couldn’t order until 4.15pm (was 3.45pm). Understaffed in the kitchen. Ok we thought we will give them the benefit of the doubt as it had been a nice day weather wise and even though he had been cheeky. We ordered some drinks and crisps to tide us over.

We waited the 30mins and went back to the bar to order our meal. The same gentleman again basically shouted at us saying we couldn’t have food and we would need to wait until 5pm as they had nothing left. Sorry but I find it hard to understand why we would need to wait until 5pm if they had nothing left. Wouldn’t this be the same at 5pm?? At this point I thought he was joking. The manner, customer service and professionalism was seriously lacking. I asked to speak to a manager and the waiter came back quickly and said “ok ok you can order”. By then I was sick and tired of this waiters manner and said we would just leave it.

So disappointed in this venue as I said at the beginning we used to visit regularly. Definitely not anymore!

Do yourself a favour and drive 1 mile further down the road to the drovers inn. This is what we did and the staff at the drovers put the Ardlui hotel staff to shame. They are so welcoming, can’t do enough for you and display a high level of customer service. The food was good there too!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank FloridaUSAfan
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Stayed here for one night as part of a hen party. Room was small but comfortable and was lovely and clean, especially the bathroom. The hen party (all 15) ate in the restaurant on Saturday night and the food was delicious. We had provided the hotel with a pre-order so it was smooth, with the exception of 2 meals which were brought to the table after a wee wait. The staff were very attentive and patient and even set us with music in the private dining room.

I had previously read the reviews about the breakfast, but we honestly had no complaints, the food was cooked to perfection. The only thing I would maybe comment on was that there wasn't a great choice of juice, but not really a problem.

The staff were friendly and helpful

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Rooms are compact but very clean and well furnished.
The restaurant is good and is very busy/popular.
Lively bar which was great, has a fixed caravan site next to the hotel.
Views down the Loch are fantastic.
Provides a ferry service (£5) across the Loch for those wanting to join the West Highland Way.
Watersports etc. are provided in an adjacent marina.
Great place with rail and bus service outside.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family