“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Rothesay
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Visited for lunch with a friend. Restaurant has very fresh decor and comfortable. The waitress was very pleasant and appeared genuinely interested in all the guests . I liked the food which was promptly served. Full marks

2  Thank Malcolm M

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booked here on first night of a two day stay in Rothesay on the basis of recommendations from others and also some of the reviews on Trip Advisor.
Restaurant is in a good location near the town centre. Decor nice, service friendly, all ok in that respect.
Menu has a reasonable choice of dishes (though no specials seemed to be available) and a short wine list. The wine was well priced. I opted for the Halloumi stack. This was baked Halloumi sandwiched between a kind of coriander and carrot fritter. It sounded good but the reality was disappointing. It came with a tomatoey sauce and neither it, the fritters or the Halloumi tasted of anything very much. It was bland and there was very little life or zing about it. On to the main - I opted for the medallions of beef. Sorry to say again they were disappointing. There were only two and they were quite small and thin, but that would have been fine, had they not been grossly over-cooked. They were leathery without any hint of juiciness. Although they had char-grill marks on them, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had been batch-cooked in advance. They came with a mushroom red wine sauce, which was nice. There were also paprika potatoes, though I could not taste the paprika, and green beans in the sauce, which were undercooked and squeaky. On top of everything else, the dish could have been warmer. We didn't have a sweet.
I hate to give negative reviews and try to find good things about every place I review, but this was really disappointing, given that this is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Rothesay. Maybe we got it on a bad night, and ok you don't expect fine dining at these prices, but I really think they need to up their game a bit in terms of quality and taste. There's nothing wrong with bistro/pub type food if done well but here I'm afraid it just wasn't up to the standard that most people would expect.

6  Thank walkmanFife
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Tucked up next to the castle this is one of the best places to eat on Rothesay, fantastic pictures on the walls that will keep you engrossed for hours, food is first class and pipping hot, soup of the day and crusty bread is always enough to fill you up on a cold day.

4  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent food and efficient service provided at this stylish Rothesay restaurant. Wide ranging menu with a good deal of local produce including a tasty prawn dish washed down by the locally brewed beer.

1  Thank Euryn J
PaulMowgli, Owner at Harry Haw's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks for the 'stylish' part! We tried hard to make it fun and funky. And we just refreshed the bathroom with posh wallpaper that I personally think makes the loo's awfy posh! (Posher than my house at home, but isn't that often the way?) Hope to see you again Euryn.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited on a rather wet and windy day and this was really the only place we saw for lunch which looked inviting from the outside. There was a wide choice of items on the menu and I chose the Cullen Skink - a good choice. It was very flavoursome with plenty of smoked haddock and potato. It came with a thick slice of crusty, yet soft, home-made bread and butter. My husband had a burger and chips which looked very good and our friends chose toasted sandwiches - again very good. The young man who served us was most informative about the island, giving us a tourist map and after asking us what we were interested in, pointing out places we might like to visit and the wildlife we might encounter. Great service and good food. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Amanda230689
PaulMowgli, Owner at Harry Haw's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks so much for the review. The young man is quite new to the island too, and I think there is not much about it he has not discovered through his various stomps about it! Come back and see us soon. The weather is to get better soon! #fingerscrossed.