All reviews bar next door isle of skye historic hotel seamus bar residents bar the pub fish and chips hotel bar sticky toffee pudding great weekend stunning location venison cuillin mountains large bar rich history bar food talisker distillery
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Great place to stay on the Isle of Skye, centrally located and at the base of the Cuillin Mountains. 1930s property, traditional style, historic feel with modern amenities, clean and comfortable. Best fish and chips!! Not to mention a dizzying array of whiskeys.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2016

We found the restaurant and bar/lounge area superb. The food was excellent and the service matched it. However, we were less than impressed with our room, especially as we had a arrived in a downpour and were cold and tired and I had bruised my knee on the wooden bed frame. The room and bathroom size was OK but the heating was not on and the heated towel rail was cold and leaking. They got a plumber within minutes but the problem seemed to be that the heating was on one hour and off the next. As soon as the heating was turned one in the boiler room we had heating and could live with the leaking radiator until it could be mended after the weekend.

We should have upgraded to a better room with a view as we looked out on a
grassy bank and missed the splendors of Skye.

Room Tip: Upgrade from a basic room.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2016

I think we were in room 21. The room was one of the larger rooms out of 12 we had in two weeks. It was comfortable, but not particularly memorable. Small bathroom with the sink in the room. The shower was great once we figured it out. Pull cord to turn on the electricity to the heating unit, I guess.
Comfortable bed and chocolates on the pillow! Very friendly staff,

Room Tip: Room size was average by US chain standards but large compared to Band B and other historic hotels we stayed at. Room 21
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2016

We visited in May with our son (4 y.o.) and were pleased to find we were put in a HUGE room with a convertible sofa bed and a large queen bed. The largest hotel room I've stayed in while visiting the UK, let alone Scotland.

The food is fantastic next door in the bar. Try the homemade scones. Best I've ever had and they come with fresh clotted creme. Amazing. I still dream about them!

The hotel restaurant is ok. Service is a tad slow and they have a separate menu from the bar next door which is much less appealing. In hindsight I would have skipped it and eaten exclusively at the bar which also has a wonderful vibe and interior.

The hotel itself is situated in the perfect location to explore Skye. The scenery is phenomenal and only 15 minutes from Portree. Easy day trips to Old Man of Storr, The Fairy Pools and all the other main attractions.

My only complaint was the shower. It was horrendous. Definitely the worst shower I've experienced in a hotel. It went from scolding hot (I literally burnt my scalp) to freezing cold...I'm talking mountain stream cold. The trick (which it took me two showers to figure out) is to let it run for 5 minutes after taking a guess at the right temperature setting, and then don't touch it!

The plumbing is pretty shocking considering it's 2016.

On a final note, the staff are very friendly and helpful. I would stay there again and recommend it to others...just beware of the showers...

Room Tip: Ask about the showers. If they have any rooms with modern showers (not sure) go for that!
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Veronica M
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

We stopped here on our way back to Inverness Airport from a 7 day stay near Dunvegan, we emailed them the previous night to enquire if non-residents could have breakfast and we received a very pleasant, prompt reply.
Choice of Continental or Scottish breakfast, we both chose the Scottish breakfast which was anything from the continental plus a full cooked breakfast.
Service was very good, food arrived nice, hot, good quality and fairly quick, the price was reasonable and made a welcome start to the day.
We would definitely visit again!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple