Reviews (1 225)
1 225 results
All reviews premier room view restaurant turret room the main hotel front lawn lovely hotel isle of skye portree harbour open fire bay window both nights scallops front facing breakfast and dinner stunning views room was large the ground floor
130 - 135 of 1 225 reviews
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

We spent 3 nights here bed and breakfast. The room we chose did not disappoint, spacious, tastefully decorated, very clean, comfortable bed and pillows. There was bottled water and some fruit which was replenished every day. The breakfast was good with plenty fresh fruit,cooked breakfast which a number of people personalised and fish for those who can ocean with it in the morning. The lounge and bar areas were comfortable and the staff very friendly and chatty ( barman from Glasgow and the young women at the restaurant and ladies at the reception.) The landscaping is well maintained and the view of Portree and the Cuillins, made in Scotland.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Fantastic stay at this wonderful luxury hotel great bar choice and again a great view out over Portree harbour the restaurant also looks over this view and the staff are very friendly nothing is to much trouble and the food is simply stunning

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
catherine m, Manager at Cuillin Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. The hotel has recently been taken over by new management and we are delighted to have received so many fantastic comments. Our staff work very hard to ensure guests leave happy, I look forward to passing on the positive feedback to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Catherine MacLeod.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I visited the Cuillin Hills Hotel again this month, after a thoroughly enjoyable visit last year. The hotel is stunning and set in a wonderful location overlooking the Cuillin Hills and the waterfront of Portree. We were excited to revisit it and enjoy fantastic food in their restaurant again, The View.

I had requested the same room as last year when I booked, which was unavailable this time around. The lady at reception was very welcoming and friendly and apologised for the room being unavailable and showed us to our new room. The room was clean, fresh and airy but significantly smaller than the previous year’s. There was a nice view from the window, overlooking the Cuillins. It is my understanding that these two rooms are charged at the same nightly rate, despite the noticeable difference in size.

We were happy with our stay in the hotel and with the staff, who were friendly and helpful.

However, the reason I am only giving the hotel 3 stars is down to the restaurant. Had I reviewed it last year on our first visit, I would have given them 5 stars without hesitating. However, there seems to have been a change in management and chef, as well as a refurbishment since we were there last. The restaurant has now been split into two sections, which it would appear is for ‘fine dining’ or a more casual atmosphere, depending on where you are placed. We had our dinner in what I am assuming was the fine dining section, although both sections seemed pretty similar and equally nice to me.

I had phoned the hotel prior to our arrival, in order to book a table for dinner. I was informed that 8 o’ clock was the earliest we would be able to reserve, as they were quite busy. We made our way down to the restaurant for 8pm and were asked to have a drink in the bar before going to our table, 10-15 minutes later. It was some time before our order was taken and then again before our food arrived. There were quite long gaps between courses and then we were asked if we would like a look at the dessert menu by a busy waitress who then forgot to bring us the menu. We could appreciate that they were busy but the staff began to clear tables around us and set up for the next day’s breakfast while we were still waiting for the dessert menu. This is a slight pet peeve of mine, as we were still trying to enjoy our dinner experience, while tablecloths and cutlery were being rattled around us. The menu did eventually arrive when we asked another member of staff. We were still eating our desserts after 10pm, which is much later than either of us would have liked!

The food was delicious and although they have significantly reduced the choices from last year’s breathtaking menu, there were still lovely options from which to choose. We did miss some of our favourites from last year but nothing ever stays the same!

Breakfast on the first morning was again very slow in arriving. I don’t know if this was because I had ordered a potato scone with mine (which the menu said was available on request) or if we had been forgotten about again. We saw other people who had come in after us get served before us, which was rather irritating. The food was nice but fairly standard for a full Scottish breakfast.

Breakfast on the second day was much quicker. We both ordered scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, which was also nice but not as tasty as the breakfast we had there last year.

Overall, I would recommend the Cuillin Hills Hotel for couples who are looking for a nice getaway to the Isle of Skye. The rooms are comfortable and stylish and the atmosphere throughout the hotel is very relaxed and friendly. If you are planning on eating in the restaurant, make sure you have adequate time in your schedule, to accommodate the speed of service. However, you will not be disappointed by the food.

All in all, a lovely hotel which could be perfect if these small issues were addressed. I only wish I had reviewed it last year and given it the 5 stars it deserved then!

2  Thank PaddyPan
Reviewed 16 October 2017

The hotel is right in the middle of Portree, but so secluded that it feels like an oasis. The views from the hotel are beautiful and the lawn is a great place to sit outside with a drink and enjoy the view. Staff are very welcoming and experienced, and the scotch list is expansive. Highly recommend paying a bit more to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms facing the water.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Catherine M, Manager at Cuillin Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comments. We are very lucky to be in such a beautiful location surrounded by wonderful views. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Cuillin Hills Hotel.
We hope to see you in the near future!

Catherine MacLeod

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

This was a fall back hotel for us as we spent two nights in Skye (Thursday and Friday) and could not find a place with accommodations for two consecutive nights. Although it was mentioned in my Fodor's as a place to stay in Portree it was not a Fodor'sChoice and they had rooms starting at 210 GBP and said rooms in back were over-priced. Our room was toward the back but only cost us 140 GBP. We didn't have much of a view but the room was large and very nice. They have a large common room where you can sit by the fire and enjoy the views without having to pay for them. They have a large lawn area over looking Portree harbor. There is a whiskey bar area and another larger bar area. Breakfast was more than ample. Staff very friendly and accommodating. And, unlike our stay within Portree the night before, we didn't have to illegally park down the road. The hotel had plenty of parking. You do have to walk into town, about 10 minutes, which wasn't too bad as it wasn't raining on the night of our stay.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Catherine M, Manager at Cuillin Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

Skye is a very popular location so booking in advance is always advised, that being said, we are delighted we were able to accommodate you.

One of the wonderful things about this hotel is, although not all rooms are facing views of the harbour and the Cuillin Mountains all the common areas have great views which you can appreciate over breakfast, dinner, on our lawn or in our residents lounge.

We hope to see you return soon.

Catherine MacLeod