“Yet to enjoy it, despite multiple chances.”
Review of The Blue Lobster

The Blue Lobster
Ranked #3 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Stornoway
Description: opened in July 2017 we are a small family run business in the heart of Stornoway. A small coffee bar selling a delicious selection of Barista coffees and fresh homemade baking with just a few seats to sit in or takeaway available. A small shared courtyard is available to enjoy the views of Stornoway inner harbour, marina & Lews Castle grounds with it’s seals and Herons. Also a well stocked interiors and gift shop with interesting items from current popular design companies and local artisans.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I last visited in April 2018 with my daughter and it will be my last. She loved her hot chocolate but I found, like after every other visit, my coffee was bitter and burnt tasting. I know this is a strong word, but it’s always been disgusting. I don’t know if they just have a particular brand of coffee, or the machine is too hot or what, but I have never had a good coffee from here.

Prior to April I visited in February and again the coffee was not pleasant. As with the two times before that in 2017. I have ordered flat whites, lattes and cappuccinos, all of them leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. There has been plenty of time between my visits and it’s not like it could be a one off or a bad batch of coffee. It’s just bad coffee in general.

The staff are also very quick to continue their conversation with whom ever is floating around before serving you and they just don’t seem very approachable. If you’re lucky enough to have them talk to you while they serve you, they are very pleasant. But I’m yet to come across a member of staff who is open to friendly engagement with their customers unless already friends with them. And I’m not the only one to experience this and be ignored.

The final point is the seating. Very minimal and all of it is at a window. Which is nice looking out over the harbour, but due to the direction of faces, every window has the sun blaring down on it at all hours of the day and they have no blinds! Least not as of my last visit. It is so horrible and hot and unbearable it really does make sitting there most uncomfortable. A form of mesh blind so you can still see out would go a long way.

The shop side of it is lovely but hit and miss depending what you’re after. Sometimes you can find a really gem and others nothing really floats your boat. Worth a look though.

5  Thank Carolyn F

Reviewed 20 June 2018

A warm welcome is always waiting, along with beautiful coffee and a great atmosphere.

This is great place for a lazy coffee, a quick cup, or even just to sit in the Lewis sun.

It will be busy at Heb Celt Fest week, and rightly so.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

We went in here quite simply because it was the closest place to the car and we didn't want to walk any further than we had to in the pouring rain and howling wind. We were wanting breakfast really, but there were no breakfast items available, so we just had coffees, which were good - served in lovely mugs!!
A couple of the cakes on display looked amazing, but it was just a bit early for them.

Jayne M, Owner at The Blue Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Hi Rai!
Thank you for visiting us at the blue lobster :) sorry that we did not fulfill your breakfast requirements but we are simply a hot drinks and home baking kind of place,. We do sell scones made fresh every day & usually banana loaf, they are our most popular sellers for mornings! maybe if you visit again you could try them! We are glad you enjoyed your coffee & hope you had a great holiday :)
the blue lobster

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The tartlets here are absolutely delicious and not so sweet. On a nice sunny day, sit in the private courtyard with stunning views of the castle and harbour

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Lovely and relaxing place to have a coffee in hand thrown mugs with good views over the harbour and real flowers