Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Priceline
All reviews summer isles log cabin dining room wine list amuse bouche cheeseboard fine dining before dinner seafood platter spacious bathroom stunning views langoustines local produce superb location the pub first class long drive
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 July 2019 via mobile

Like others have mentioned earlier, we were also told when booking, that the hotel would get back to us on whether we wanted dinner in the restaurant or in the bar without anything happening until we checked in. Then we were told that we were one of those who had not decided yet. We were also told we had to make a decision fast as the restaurant wpuld fill up. Something it didn't actually do that night. As we were told that we could access both menus in both places, and as the information we got both on email and in the room said that eating in the bar would give us the opportunity to enjoy a fine range of ales, we decided upon that. For my husband who is very fond of ales, this spunded like heaven to him. Well, there was ONE ale on offer, that does not constitute a fine range. The bar looked more like a cafeteria, the atmosphere was not very nice. We only got the bar menu which was rather disappointing in its choices. The food my husband got, was not warm, and he is usually quite happy with food not being scorching hot. The waitress came back from the kitchen telling him that the chef had said that the vegetables and poatoes were cold, but the fish was warm. After disagreeing, my husband got another dish, but why the argument? We went to the lounge for a drink afterwards, that was very nice. Our room, Lurgainn, was very nice, huge and comfy, excellent bed and lots of drawers and wardrobes. Breakfast was really nice, both the welcoming and the food and the variety. Then came time for check out. We were asked if everything was ok. We were a bit hesitant, but were told it was important for them to know if there was something not right. So we told about or experience in the bar only to be met with an argument for every word. There was usually three ales available, the information in the email was too old, hiw that is our fault,I really do not know. When pointing out that the exact same information was to be found in the informationleaflet in the room, we were met with another argument. We asked could we just be allowed to pay and skup the defence and the arguments. She didn't let go. So sadly, a very mixed and rather disappointing experience which was also rather expensive. My adive us to check out the restaurant and the bar before you decide on where to eat and to the manager to learn some of his staff how to tackle complaints or feedback done in a proper way, but obviously not to their liking.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank LiseBB2014
Simon C, Owner at The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2019

Dear LiseBB2014

I have read your review carefully and would like to thank you for the considered and thoughtful content. My response, to the various points made, is as follows:

Until recently, we stated that guests would be contacted prior to arrival to discuss diner related preferences. In fact, the hotel did not contact every guest and some guests were unobtainable. This could cause frustration and our system was changed several weeks ago. When a booking is received, our confirmatory e mail now states: "As residents, you will have the opportunity to dine at the hotel. If possible, please take a few moments to contact the hotel prior to your visit to confirm your preferred venue and time for dinner." This new process appears to be working well.

The bar normally offers a choice of three ales. These are sourced from two breweries in an attempt to ensure that there is consistency of supply but I accept that this was not the case during your visit. Please accept my apologies.

I am not sure why "the atmosphere was not very nice" in the bar? It can be a lively place on busy nights and I accept that it is a different atmosphere to the restaurant which is quieter and slower paced. The team would certainly have offered the restaurant menu in the bar if asked. Also, it would not have been a problem to request a beer from the bar if eating in the restaurant (albeit a choice of one ale only!).

The team is genuinely passionate about the service and food provided. Perhaps, this can become a little too defensive which I will discuss when at the hotel next week.

On a positive note, I am glad to read that the lounge, bedroom and breakfast were very nice.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take note of the content and we will take the necessary steps to learn from several of the comments made.

Regards

Reviewed 5 July 2019

Stayed here with my niece in one of the suites. The location was breathtaking! The room was very comfortable, food delicious. They manage to encompass a quintessential Scottish experience, you are submerged and the views cannot be beat! The high price is for the location, the rooms are very comfortable but not high luxury like you would find in London or NYC.

Room tip: Make sure you have views, it makes it all worthwhile!
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Simon C, Owner at The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2019

Dear GaelicGirl7

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are indeed very fortunate to be located in such a wonderful part of the world.

I am very pleased to read that you both enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 24 June 2019 via mobile

Could not stay at hotel it was fully booked! Had fabulous dinner in bar one night and as restaurant was full up next night the hotel was particularly helpful in providing us with amazing seafood platters to take away. Above and beyond helpful.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Simon C, Owner at The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2019

Dear Alfiebell,

Sorry that there was "no room at the inn" but I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed dinner in the bar.

The kitchen was very happy to provide the take away platters. It's perhaps a service that we should offer more often!

Regards

Reviewed 24 June 2019

Absolutely beautiful. Didn't even mind driving 15 miles on a one lane road to find it!! Incredible view from the room, great pub, excellent dining room cozy lobby and terrific staff. Even had the privilege of meeting Simon, the owner, who was welcoming and intent on his guests' comfort.

1  Thank Bunnery

Dear Catherine P

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Summer Isles Hotel. I really enjoy meeting our guests when everyone is gathering for a pre-dinner G&T!

I hope that you both enjoyed the remainder of your tour of the Highlands.

Simon

Reviewed 19 June 2019

We had a delightful time and can't wait to return. The entire experience was exceptional. Food and service was great. Atmosphere was perfect of a relaxing 3 night stay. our only regret was not staying longer.

Date of stay: June 2019
Simon C, Owner at The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2019

Dear MichaelM19462

I am delighted to read that you had a "wonderful stay" at The Summer Isles Hotel. I will pass on your feedback to the whole team who work hard to make sure that the food, service and overall atmosphere is "spot on".

We look forward to you return.