Lowest prices for your stay
US$756
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Expedia.comUS$444
Orbitz.com
All reviews putting green attention to detail royal dornoch breakfast hamper taster menu living room fly fishing rooms are beautifully appointed the main house second to none nicest places pre dinner play golf golf course luxury hotel the main dining room salmon
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 October 2020

My wife and I returned to Links House to mark the occasion of our 27th Wedding Anniversary. From the moment we arrived, we were treated with so much warmth by the Links House staff, who are all so attentive to your every need.
During this visit we were in the Fleet room within the Glenshiel building. Our room was both spacious and beautifully furnished.
After a relaxing end to the afternoon enjoying coffee and shortbread in the lounge, we prepared for our evening meal in the wonderfully appointed Mara restaurant.
The locally sourced monkfish and venison were delicious highlights from a memorable meal.
We can easily see why Links House has recently been voted the 6th best hotel in the UK by Conde Naste magazine.
Dornoch has a special atmosphere all of its own and provides a spectacular backdrop for the sophistication of Links House, but what really sets this establishment apart are the fantastic people who work here.
We are looking forward already to coming back for our next visit.

Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 12 October 2020

Stayed 10th and 11th October 202O and on arrival were told we had been upgraded to the Evelix suite which was in the Glenshiel building. Room was immaculate and we were shown the communal area we could also use. Furnishings in communal area and rooms were classical in the best sense. Though this is a new building it has been built and decorated in Victorian / Edwardian styles with beautiful woodwork alongside a modern tiled and stunning bathroom.
I read an earlier review about lack of facilities in the room and have to say that the reviewer is living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that during COVID the hotel would not have to compromise.
The breakfast hampers we found fun and tasty and the evening meals were excellent. The chef provided a little amuse bouche on both evenings and even gave us a sample experimental sweet to taste.
We had expected to eat in the Courthouse but due to the change in regulations this had been returned to the hotel at short notice. Given this was done just a couple of days before we arrived the staff did an excellent job.
There was no alcohol allowed to be served inside due to Government restrictions but the staff made it clear they would happily provide room service or table service outside.
The Hotel is in a fantastic site with some lovely walks nearby. We walked the old railway line to Embro then back via the golf course path and it was idyllic.
In all we had a very enjoyable weekend and were treated like royalty. We will definitely be back.
Alan R Smith.

Room tip: Can recommend the Evelix suite.
Date of stay: October 2020
Kerry Morrison, Guest Services / Front Office at Links House at Royal Dornoch, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2020

Thank you so much for your wonderful review - we really do appreciate it and we loved looking after you both. I hope Angus didn't miss you too much! We can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed 28 September 2020

We took advantage of the ‘48 Hours in the Highlands’ sold as ‘the ultimate staycation’ deal that was offered on the hotel website. This offer was £690 for two nights in the hotel, daily in room luxury hamper breakfast, 3 course dinner at the courtroom both nights, pre dinner cocktail at Links house one evening and pre-dinner glass of champagne another evening.
There were no drinks menus in the room of the hotel, I called reception to ask for one, we were told, due to Covid-19 they were unable to put menus in the rooms. There was no contingency for this from the hotel and I asked if it was possible for them to email this to us to which they agreed but the Wi-Fi in the hotel was so bad we had difficulty downloading. There was no tea or coffee facilities in the hotel room, only one bottle of still water and another of sparkling. Not in a fridge, on the side table. After a seven-and-a-half-hour drive, we were disappointed to see that there were no tea/coffee facilities in the room.
The hotel provided a complimentary shot of whiskey on arrival in a small glass bottle, with glasses to drink them out of. They were topped up the second day but there were no glasses provided so we were unable to drink them.
Our first evening at the restaurant, we had been waiting 20 minutes for our starters, to be fair to the staff, someone came over to apologise for the delay with another two starters and we were told our ordered starters would be over shortly. We didn’t receive a pre-dinner cocktail or glass of champagne on the first night, but we did receive the glass of champagne on the second after reminding the staff at the restaurant that we hadn’t received this previously. Our meal the first night totalled £80 and the second £60. The first night’s total was higher as we had two drinks each and not one. The drinks were included in the totals mentioned but were not included in the meal package so this was an additional charge to the meal and was paid when checking out.
Back in the room, the temperature was high, both nights. There was no thermostat for the room and only a fan to bring the temperature down, which was noisy and blowing the warm air around the room. It wasn’t until the second night in the hotel that noticed that the radiators in the bathroom were on. I turned these off, but it didn’t make much of a difference as we were visiting during a warm September.
The luxury breakfast hamper was far from luxury. We were provided with a meal card on arrival to choose what we wanted. Our options were, tea/coffee, yogurt, fruit, juice and cereal which was provided as well as croissants, beetroot shots and a black pudding pastry. When we received the call confirming our breakfast options for our second morning, I asked if we could have toast included in the breakfast. Sourdough toast was provided, if I’d have known it was sourdough toast, I wouldn’t have bothered including it. none of the above is my idea of a luxury breakfast. There were no tea or coffee preferences (latte, cappuccino, fruit teas) there were no cooked breakfast options, no choice of cereals. Basically, not what you’d expect from a luxury breakfast at a 5* resort.
I understand that the hotel is trading during a difficult climate, however, I feel the ‘restrictions’ applied by the hotel were more comparable to shortcuts. I know that we’re currently living in unprecedented times but for £690 for two nights stay doesn’t warrant the experience we received from the hotel and its restaurant. Very disappointing stay form a couple who enjoy staycations in luxury hotels and if we ever return to Dornoch, we won’t be returning to Links House.

Date of stay: September 2020
Kerry Morrison, Guest Services / Front Office at Links House at Royal Dornoch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2020

Dear Lucie, thank you so much for your review and we are truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us at Links House. We thoroughly appreciate your feedback and have taken your interpretations into consideration.
It was a pity we weren't given the opportunity to speak to you whilst you were staying with us, as our measures are in place for the safety of our valued guests.
Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Reviewed 28 September 2020

Firstly I would like to say thank you very much for looking after Rebecca and I so incredibly well, from my initial phone call to discuss doing a MacNab to dropping us off at the Airport yesterday we could not of asked for better service, you and the whole team at Links were so polite and accommodating.

Thanks for sending the lovely photos I really appreciate it.

I can honestly say doing the MacNab has been one of the best experiences of my life and I will never forget each minute of that special day. Rebecca asked me which part did I enjoy the most I replied all three challenges had been amazing and it’s impossible to choose, and I even created my own little MacNab by catching the trout as well! 

Anson thank you very much as well (can you please thank James and John again for me) because without you guys and of course the dogs this challenge would not of been possible for me. For someone who has never caught a Salmon, Stalked or shot Grouse to successful complete the MacNab proves how your knowledge, expertise and patience is second to none, and to be able to do the challenge on such a stunning estate in amazing weather simply topped experience off.

Once again thank you all very much for making one of my ‘bucket list’ adventures so memorable.

You will definitely being seeing me again soon!!

Room tip: All the rooms we saw were very large very well decorated and one of the best nights sleep i have had in a long time.
Date of stay: September 2020

Thank you so much, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay and MacNab Challenge. We will pass on your thanks to all involved and we hope to see you and Rebecca again soon.

Reviewed 26 September 2020

We have visited Dornoch a few times but as we only live a couple of hours away we never stayed. However I wanted a luxury stay for me and my wife. We booked the 48 hours in the Highlands package. The suite (Evalix) was amazing, old style Highlands with a modern twist. Superb shower and full on luxury. We ate in the Courtroom due to Covid and it was superb. Not a single disappointing course on both nights. Main thing that made the whole package was the staff both at the hotel and the Courtroom. We both felt very well looked after but not overly moly coddled. I can not recommend the Hotel enough and hopefully we can return in easier times post Covid.

1  Thank Dreamer762562

Thank you for taking the time to send us such a lovely review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you both again soon.