Reviews (4 437)
2 053
1 258
2 053
1 258
All reviews meikle restaurant victorian spa winter garden kids club child care self catering family hotel soft play quad bikes executive room horse riding outdoor activities family break bunk beds crazy golf the main hotel party night
336 - 341 of 4 437 reviews
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

I am so disappointed to write such a negative review of my most recent visit to Crieff Hydro. Until now, I have had nothing but positive things to say about my visits.

I paid a £10 per room supplement to guarantee our party rooms together (there were many of us visiting for a special celebration). Our rooms were not together and during check in we were not told this was the case. The hotel took our £10 and gave us rooms. I had to ask for my £10 per room supplement back as we did not get what we paid for. I also paid to upgrade the rooms and all but mine were executive rooms as paid for. My family room was small, the decor was drab, the bed covers had blood on them, there were dirty socks under one of the beds and the room was incredibly dusty. Also, the "little extras" we paid for in the upgrade were not included. No newspaper delivered in the morning and standard tea and coffee in the room (included in the upgrade and as an alternative brand).

I called reception during the stay to highlight my concerns and they couldn't have been any less interested. No offer to move rooms (at least until ours was cleaned) and I was told the newspaper had to be requested upon check in... I wasn't told this. The delivered alternative tea and coffee to my room 6 hours after I called. They arrived at 9.30pm to my family room, awakening children in the process to deliver tea bags!

I raised my concerns again on check out and was told by a really disinterested staff member they would let housekeeping know!

Service from all staff on this occasion was poor. An extremely different experice for me to any other time I've visited Crieff Hydro. I am very sad and disspointed this is the case.

I have emailed since my return home to highlight my concerns and ask for the £10 per room to be returned as we did not get what we paid for (their reason was that the hotel was busy). I was missold an upgraded room, I most certainly did not get what I paid for. I've been offered 10% off my next booking. When family rooms cost £200 a night during summer months, this is a small token for the extremely poor experience we had.

Unfortunately, we won't hurry back. I'm sorry to say you have lost an extremely enthusiastic and loyal customer!

9  Thank hampter
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

So sorry to learn that this stay wasn't the type of break you've been used to with us hampter. As a regular visitor we can only hope that you remember all the positive things about your visits, have a change of heart and decide to return to make the use of your offer. Sorry again, for the inconvenience caused and we hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Before I even arrived I had been impressed by the quick response to a note I had put about having no steps to bedroom. Secondly when o asked about the kids club I received a call back the same day and they were all switched on and great customer service.

I have been astounded at how well the hotel is setup for families, come rain or shine there is something to do for your 3 year old, teenager to adult all with the help of friendly service minded staff. Tick tick tick for every box so far.

1  Thank daveBangkok

Thanks so much for sharing your comments with us daveBangkok, we're delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable visit and received the best of Hydro service. With the 'lovely' Scottish weather being as it is in Spring we always like hearing everyone has plenty to keep them occupied. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Me my mum and my daughter came for dinner bed and breakfast for mothers day, we had a family room which was lovely,the only issue we had was that the tv didn't work,and the guy who came to check it, told us it had been broken since the weekend before.Our meal was lovely, had a great nights sleep and a lovely breakfast followed by an amazing facial in the spa.I will defo be back, it's a lovely place with lots of activities, would stay 2 nights next time to do more

1  Thank Carolyn R

Many thanks for your feedback Carolyn R, great to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us. So sorry about the trouble with your television - the team are looking in to this. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I have just returned from a night away at crieff hydro which I bought as a birthday present for my brother and myself to enjoy and enjoy we did not. For those that don't want to read too much of this review let me simply say, don't waste your money and for those that wish to know why please feel free to keep reading as to why it was a pretty terrible experience.

Late check in: We were checked into our room at 15:30, we were told in the email sent before our arrival that "check in is at 2pm." and so it was an hour and half late to get into our room. When asked why this was the case and if there was any compensation I was simply told no and that the email sent out was wrong (which frankly is an embarrassing mistake).

Poor Facilities: I have been to Crieff many times in the past as a young boy and fondly remember the wonderful facilities on offer, unfortunately they are not anywhere near the quality I remember them to be. The squash courts were freezing cold, looked like a building site and just generally poor. The Victorian spa (adult pool) had to be booked in advance which to me is just silly and so we were forced to go for a swim in the family pool, which was not a relaxing experience. We then attempted a steam room session but turned around after a matter of seconds after being met with the smell of damp and fish. Snooker was average at best with many of the ques tips falling off during the game (again just embarrassing).

Immature Staff: Quite simply every member of staff (except for one lovely waitress) we came across was young and/or immature. Simple things such as properly greeting guests at the reception seemed too much for them.

Lack of care towards guests: To put it simply guests were not this hotels number one priority. Local kids took over the pool/snooker tables at night and the staff seemed to use an awful lots of the facilities. For example we were told we couldn't get onto the squash courts for another hour as "the staff are having a game on it just now". That simply is not good enough. GET IT SORTED CRIEFF, CUSTOMERS ALWAYS FIRST!

General Look & Feel: Peeling paint, single glazed windows, old dirty carpets the list goes on. This place needs a total refurbishment.

Overall: Other than a lovely dinner provided at one of the hotels restaurants this was a truly awful experience. I have spent many a holiday at crieff hydro and I am sad to say that this will be my last.

I leave this review not to simply rant but to hopefully help the hotel improve and to ensure that people traveling around Scotland receive a positive experience.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
10  Thank Cameron S
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Many thanks for your feedback Cameron S, sorry you feel so disappointed. Our confirmation states check-in is from 2.00pm, so sorry for any misunderstanding here. Due to the huge popularity, and limited capacity, of the Victorian Spa it has to be pre-booked, so apologies if you were unable to be given a slot. Our remaining squash court is no longer in regular use so isn't openly advertised for hire, but on occasion can be used. We'll pick up on this incident with the Management team. We do pride ourselves on our service and sorry if you feel we fell short on this occasion.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We visited here for a one night stay on Mothering Sunday.

Crieff Hydro is in a beautiful location and it is a lovely building, on our arrival the hotel was full of small children everywhere being chased by harassed parents, we are aware this is a "family friendly" hotel and that is fine but dont come here at the weekend for a quiet relaxing break.

We were unable to book the Victorian Spa and so used the leisure pool which is a great size, but again, children and gigantic floats and balls everywhere. Leave your swim till late ish evening.

Food in the Meikle restaurant was Ok, but not very hot, a few mistakes were made: wrong bill and they forgot about our dessert.

A pleasant visit though and would love to return for afternoon tea which looked lovely.

I would return mid week in future. When we were there at the weekend it had a Centre Parc feel to it because of all the children.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StapeleyCraigie

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts StapeleyCraigie, great to note that overall you had an enjoyable stay. As one of the UKs leading family resorts things can get very lively around here, so we do always highly recommend booking our Victorian Spa well in advance. We'll take all of your points on board and address these directly and hope we see you again soon.