All reviews lovely hotel the main hotel head waiter wedding reception national trust wine list wedding venue sunday lunch waiting staff small hotel lovely room lovely food en route little gem cream tea good nights sleep breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

It is so nice to stay in a hotel with such charming character. I booked a small double for single occupancy, which is perfect for a business stay. Lunch, dinner & breakfast were all lovely, and all the staff were really very friendly and efficient. The room itself was very clean and well furnished. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the bed linen. I would definitely choose to stay here again if in the area

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2018

Stayed at the Hartnoll Hotel, Tiverton, for two nights recently. This was my first visit. The rooms are certainly very clean and smart inside. The waiting staff friendly and helpful. And the food was nice enough (the wine list isn’t that good though). But the room I was given, room 15, in the annexe some distance away from the main hotel, is far too close to the car park and far too near the busy main road. The noise from cars parking outside my room and from passing traffic on the main road was very loud and disturbing. And the view of huge four-by-fours inches away from my window was really disappointing considering the overall cost of £330 for my stay. Not what I was expecting when I booked a four star hotel in the beautiful Devon countryside. When I requested to change rooms I was told there weren’t any others available - the hotel was busy accommodating a shooting party. When I tried to speak to a manager, I was told the owner would come and talk to me but was busy eating in the restaurant - she didn’t show up or attempt to speak to me at any time during my stay. Surprisingly rude. Clearly the drafty door to room 15 needs sound proofing, or even an internal door to the main area, anything to quieten the outside noise disturbance. And finally, arriving back at the hotel around 11.30pm on one night, my fellow guests, staying in a room in the main house, found the front door locked. A sign on the door gave a number to call to get back in. However, no one answered that phone. If it hadn’t been for a guest wanting to pop outside for a late night cigarette, alerting the hotel’s night porter, they could have been waiting for hours! It seems no matter what you pay for hotel rooms, you still can’t guarantee yourself a good overall experience.

Room tip: Avoid room 15. Check if there is a shooting party staying at the hotel-they get up early and go to bed late. And the doors clang!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

Had a meal at the Hartnoll Hotel ,
without exception the food was of high quality and the service was excellent . We sat in the conservatory which was okay .
The hotel itself whilst very picturesque would benefit from some refurbishment in the public areas . I would certainly recommend and we would most definitely visit again ..

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2018

Initially we only stayed here because we were attending a family party (at the same hotel so it seemed obvious and easy) however I would not hesitate to go back to the same hotel for a holiday or short break. The staff made our weekend; very polite and nothing was too much trouble : that went through the hotel from those working behind the scenes i..e cleaning our rooms to those in the restaurant and reception. We have a dog and this hotel unlike others in England understands that if someone is prepared to take their dog on a family holiday more often the animals are well looked after and cared for; we were allowed to take our dog into some of the hotel areas which was great. Really well decorated, gardens well maintained and a wonderful menu: what more could you ask for? And it is located in the most superb position is a little valley in Bolham Devon: even the bloke opposite was friendly..........

Room tip: If you have a dog you are offered a garden room: do not let this put you off: as they are superbly furnished.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2018

A group of 7 of us had a lovely celebration lunch. We had booked well in advance as we were meeting from all over the place, and it was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday lunch time.

We were able to park right outside the front door and the main car park is only a short walk. Access is very straight forward. A friendly welcome from all the staff and we decided to take our seats straight away.

There was a set menu with a nice choice of three starters, mains and desert, or there is the full menu to choose from. They are also happy for you to mix and match. I had a mixed sea food starter which was lovely, and a healthy sized portion! For my main I had duck confit which was also very good. There is a reasonable choice of wine at sensible prices.

The atmosphere was good and the waiting staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. A lovely experience. We will be back!

Trip type: Travelled with family