All reviews tasting menu michael caines gidleigh park exe estuary wine flight petit fours dining rooms new venture homemade biscuits fire pit estuary suite quail salt cod faultless service junior suite oyster catcher an aperitif
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived at 12-45 for a 1-0pm lunch appointment . We were unaware that there is valet parking so as the car park is some 200 metres away we were pleasantly surprised by someone coming to park our car. We would have been even more gratefull had it have been raining. They do not make as much of this as they should in their promotions so take advantage of it. The receptionist greeted us with a smile as did the valet parking. I mention this only because it was a rarity during the rest of our lunch. The rest of the staff could take lessons from these two. They were civil but aloof.
45 minutes later they came to take our order. I wonder why it takes so long to take orders for two courses. A further 15 minutes to go to the table.

Be patient the wait is worth it. The lunch was superb the food cooked to perfection. The attention to detail is very good. The waiters refold your napkin if you leave the table. I would be prepared to fold my own napkin for one smile from anyone of the servers. Why so serious make people feel welcome.You are paying enough for the experience.

We stayed with soft drinks and beer. 24 plus pages of wine are really over the top. A 175mlt glass of wine for £10 was too much for me. A bottle at lunch time is a waste. I might have been tempted if there had been one at a reasonable price..

Expect an optional 12.5% service charge added to the bill as standard. Happy to pay it.

Overall an experience to savoured .

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

Well what can be said for this hotel other then truly amazing!!!! We stayed for Sunday night for my husbands 50th birthday and from the minute we got out of our car we were treated like royalty, we got given a complimentary room upgrade and champagne delivered to our room, the rooms are fantastic with everything you could possibly need along with a separate pantry across the corridor to help yourselves to all teas, coffees, fresh fruit and home made cakes, off course. We also dined in the restaurant and had the most amazing taster menu of fish dishes from local area. The staff were all truly amazing and there is not one bad thing I could comment on, will definitely be going back !!!!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a fall getaway. Three nights of pure relaxation, over the top great food and staff that couldn’t have been nicer or more helpful. The room was large and well appointed. It overlooked the recently planted vineyard and the estuary. The grounds are lovely and the walk around the property was relaxing. The food, what can I say? Breakfast was a delight, but dinner, was the star of the show. We loved every bite. We look forward to returning.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2018

As part of our Silver Wedding food trip to the SW 5 weeks ago (Nathan Outlaw's place was sublime) we booked an overnight and dinner at Lympstone Manor on Thursday 20 September '18. To say that we we regretted it the next day is an understatement - the whole experience was hugely below par and our illness the following day just capped it off; more on that later but first a few observations.

1) Yes a lot of money has been spent on the place but it's not been spent wisely. Look more closely and you'll see a number of areas where it's starting to look scruffy - when you go to somewhere like Raymond Blanc's Le Manoir the attention to detail is astonishing and only the best is good enough - precisely the opposite can be said for Lympstone Manor where "that'll do' seems to have been the guiding principle

2) Couple of examples - badly fitting carpets, carpets in the bedroom that sounded like they'd been laid on bubblewrap, no light at the dressing table (for my wife obviously not me!) - I could go on...

3) The whole place was draughty, the windows hadn't been sealed and the rain was leaking through one in the dining room we were in - yes I'm sure there are constraints on how much can be done and yes we were there when the first storm on the autumn (?Adam) came through but that's not good enough

4) The dining room was like a morgue, zero atmosphere with for me the most uncomfortable seats I'd ever sat in. As we were the penultimate table to finish it felt like sitting in an empty barn, looking at nothing more interesting than a draughty window!

5) I found the whole place over-bearing and stuffy - a more relaxed and thoughtful level of service is required

THE FOOD

We both chose Caines' Signature Tasting Menu in the expectation that these dishes would have been refined over a number of years to be as good as they could be. That was so far from the case a chef like Michael Caines should be embarrassed - we've eaten at 30 or so Michelin Star restaurants over the years and this was by far the worst. It comes to something when I know I could cook dishes better than Caines' kitchen managed - a few details:-

Crab Ravioli with lemongrass and ginger sauce - the sauce had no zing, more like dishwater than a finely balanced accompaniment, but use too much ginger and lemongrass and that's what can happen. I know that, why doesn't he? But to top it all my wife crunched down on a piece of shell in her ravioli - surely a Caines' kitchen should be able to pick crab properly?

Galantine of Quail - seasoning all over the place, the quail was too cold and therefore pretty solid so difficult to cut and eat

Fillet of Sea Bass - badly cooked, the fish had turned to mush as it has a habit of doing if not watched carefully

Duckling - cooked nicely and served at the right temperature

Rack of Lamb - long delayed and by the time it arrived at the table was all but cold - not a pleasurable experience to eat

Cheese - cheese is cheese!

Apple Mousse - was ok but needed more acidity if it was to act as the (I assume) palate cleanser

White chocolate candle - oh dear. Too big, too dense and claggy, too rich and an utter abomination

THE AFTER EFFECTS

Through the following night we were both ill, my wife suffering much worse than I - I'll spare you the full details other than to say that my wife was sick 3 times both in the hotel and on the long drive home. We're both in sound health, have eaten at something over 30 Michelin star restaurants and this is first time we've suffered such illness. At no time before arriving at Lympstone Manor at 3pm on 20/9 did either of us have the slightest indication of feeling unwell but 12 hours later after eating dinner we both did.

1) On checking out we informed the receptionist and frankly she couldn't have cared less. As a minimum I would have expected this to have been escalated to the senior management in the hotel but no such step was taken

2) I asked for the 'discretionary service charge' to be removed from the bill and she refused this request - presumably this is at their discretion rather than mine?

3) I spoke to the General Manager at length via email on 21/9 and by phone on 22/9 and his sole intent appeared to be to preserve the reputation of Lympstone Manor, trying to push the blame onto other restaurants/food we'd eaten over the previous days

4) An external independent health and safety firm were engaged by Lympstone Manor to assess their processes - I completed and returned the form providing all details as soon as I received it but I've heard nothing further.

5) I've had no further contact of any kind from the hotel - given the severity of the issue I would have expected them to be interested in making sure that their customers are ok. I had held back on writing this review on the assumption that I'd have heard something by now but clearly after 5 weeks that's just wishful thinking on my part.

In a nutshell I've had no apology from the hotel, no acceptance of (even partial) responsibility and no offer of recompense or a free return visit to help make us feel better about the place. In all honesty it seems to me as though they're happy to take the money and beyond that don't care.

Proving that the food poisoning was caused by Lympstone Manor is of course a different matter. I have no doubt that the processes when tested by and in front of an external examiner will prove to be fit for purpose - but that's always the case as those of us involved in this kind of work in the past will know. It's when something is done off-process, however inadvertent, that situations such as this occur and proving that this happened is all but impossible. But we have no doubt

So given that when we find a good restaurant we return (we've eaten at L'Enclume 4 times), would we go back to Lympstone Manor? Err no - neither the underwhelming and in parts shabby hotel nor the frankly well below average food justify the expense, and certainly not the >£1000 it cost us for that one night.

Room tip: We had the corner Oystercatcher suite - but came with draughty windows, crackling carpet, no dressing table light etc
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
31  Thank mark w
Reviewed 25 October 2018

My husband and I stayed overnight recently on a Romantic Stay. Food absolutely the best and the hospitality first class. What more do you need to know. Have dined several times and this is the second overnight stay. Well done to all staff for making our very cherished breaks so memorable.

Date of stay: October 2018