“Friendly and cosy”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2018

visited this place for the first time 2 weeks ago and had to return last week. This place does everything a pub should, friendly staff, good bar selection, good food and good prices, we will visit regularly from here on in

Reviewed 7 August 2018

I had a chance to have a meal at the clovelly inn probably the finest meal i have eaten in some time the quality was great and the service local and freindly it has to be the best kept secret why have i not found it before reasonably priced beer good food you cant want for any more in a village pub no wonder it was so busy even in the afternoon
other pubs could learn from this excellent example

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Well! we've lived here over a year and a half now and have got to know this cracking pub quite well. Undoubtedly the best local pub (or indeed any) we have known (and we have known quite a few). It has an almost unique atmosphere, extraordianarily friendly, with a wide variety of customers from all walks of life.

It might not compare as others have with "The Pig On the Hill" (sic) or the undoubted delights of Blackpool; nor does it profess to be a pseudo "Gastro Pub" ; but the produce is (very) locally sourced and the food is widely considered to be of good quality.[and the ribeye in particular is of superb value]. Indeed the food is not only great pub grub but outstanding value (Sunday Roast £7-95 anyone?)

Many also speak very highly of the desserts and my family visitors recently salivated over the quality of the ice cream!

It also acts as the village hub and is in many ways the heart of the village. It has a genuinely welcoming atmosphere that is extended to all visitors, local or otherwise.

We feel very lucky to have such a place and it really is an old-fashoined, simple pub to relax/chat/savour & enjoy!

1  Thank Jamie M
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

Firstly I never ever give bad reviews but I just need to warn paying customers about this place . We went here as we were away as a family of 4 for the weekend and it was walkable . It was also our 17th wedding anniversary. The pub itself looks so welcoming and delightful. There were lots of staff around but generally only one of them actually working and serving people . We sat down to eat and ordered . The kids ordered double cheese burgers and it came out with bacon but that was only the beginning The cheese was very thick and as you picked the burger up it fell out of the end of the bun as well as a tablespoon of grease , the bacon and the burger were like they had been left in the Sahara desert for a week . My kids have never left a burger up until today . My Wife (of 17 years) had the Cajun chicken , a piece of chicken that was so dry it was hard to swallow and the rice wasn’t much better . I had the Chilli which had either been over zapped in the microwave or left in the oven until death . Even the “Heinz” ketchup had been watered down ! Why would you do that ? Then the final nail the bill (yes I hear the owner saying why didn’t you say something, well for the simple reason I just wanted to leave and was embarrassed for the establishment)
Our bill came to £88 and I know (on reflection when walking home) that it was completely inaccurate. 2 starters , 4 mains , 2 beers , 2 wines and 2 J2O’s
£88 wrong
I paid and moved on as I didn’t want any hassle .
Verdict : Great place for a drink but avoid eating , sorry I hate to be critical but it really was the worst food ever .

4  Thank PeterC652
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

Ordered the ribeye asked for medium . And in truth I was questioning myself what animal this came from . The most unusual steak taste ever . And not for the positive . Won't be going back in a hurry.

2  Thank Barry C