All reviewsold schoollovely hotelwedding receptioncream teaafternoon teadog friendly hotelbeautiful roomgrammar schoolsconeswedding venuecooked to perfectiongym barthank you so muchbeautiful settingfood was fantasticopen firesteak
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night and had dinner. The food is very good, though my father would have enjoyed a more adventurous menu, but my pasta dish was very tasty indeed. Breakfast the next morning was delicious too. The staff were friendly and helpful, special mention to James and Ali.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2018

Went to the Edgemoor for a 70th birthday party. Started with Pimms in the garden and the added attraction of boules and croquet. The young staff were professional and friendly. Food was very good.Hotel is dog friendly.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2018

We really enjoyed our stay in this lovely family run hotel with professional, helpful and friendly staff. The hotel is just outside Bovey Tracey and very close to Heytor . It has beautiful gardens, the food in the restaurant was excellent and they were helpful with my dietary needs, Our room was clean and comfortable with a very comfortable bed. We look forward to returning as does our dog Charlie who enjoyed his stay.

Room Tip: If you have a dog 'The Baskerville'
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Having stayed somewhere the same price the night before we were really delighted with our stay here. The house itself is beautiful and in a really lovely setting. When we arrived we were given a random upgrade to a nicer room which was very kind. The room was very large and had a lovely bathroom. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, we struggled to get out of it the next morning.

The owners were both very nice. The lady owner (sadly I forget her name) was a friendly and charismatic individual. She has a large collection of gins which she talked us through expertly. She knew the best combination of tonic and fruit for all of them and we really enjoyed talking to her and sampling a few. I'd recommend a stay just for that.

We had dinner there too and the food was exceptional. Beautifully cooked pies with simply amazing chips. The staff were very attentive and polite and it was definitely worth the price. We regret we couldn't stay for longer and will definitely go again.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2018

We stayed at the Edgemoor Hotel a couple of years ago on our way to Cornwall, and although there had been a wedding reception that evening we had an enjoyable stay and decided to go there again this year. However, never again!
When we arrived there were guests gathering for a 40th wedding/60th birthday party. We were shown to our room (Room 6), which was quite large, with a huge bathroom, but with dated decor and the bathroom in need of modernisation.
We had planned to have dinner in the hotel, but when we went to the dining room at 7pm the party had started outside, with extremely loud live music right outside the dining room windows. We decided to go to a local pub instead for a meal, where we met another couple also seeking refuge from the hotel.
On our return to the hotel the party had moved to a function room at the far end of the hotel from our room, so it was reasonably quiet and we went to bed. However, at 1.30am we were woken by party guests coming back to their rooms.
Our room overlooked the kitchens at the back of the hotel (not exactly an idyllic view) and at 7am we were woken again by the kitchen staff talking and banging doors as they started to prepare breakfast.
Things went from bad to worse when I went to have a shower. This was an old-fashioned over-the-bath shower, fed from the bath taps, and it was impossible to adjust it to anything between scalding hot and freezing cold. After 15 minutes, and gallons of wasted water, I gave up and decided to have a bath instead. But although it was a corner bath, and looked quite large, it was too short to lie down in, so I had to dangle my legs over the side in order to get my head under to wash my hair. And of course the plug leaked so when my husband said he would use my bath water there was only about half left.
Unfortunately, the breakfast only made the hotel go down further in my estimation. Just packets of cereals, and sweetened Alpen, which really doesn't count as muesli. No fresh fruit salad, which is pretty standard in hotels these days. I ordered poached eggs on toast, and although the eggs were nice (an actual positive) the menu said white or granary toast, but instead of granary it was thin sliced wholemeal cardboard. Surely it is possible to have fresh bread, and a toaster for guests to make their own toast when they want it?
Although the hotel is in a lovely setting, and was a convenient place to break our journey, we certainly won't be staying again, even if we managed to pick a night without a noisy function.

Room Tip: Don't have Room 6, and avoid nights with weddings/parties
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret R
Charles R, Owner at The Edgemoor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Hi Margaret
So let’s summarise your review to clarify your reasons to provide such a poor review.
You will see my responses below:

1. You were not keen on your room.
I see that when you stayed in September 2016, we gave you a free upgrade to a superior room, which I am sure you gratefully appreciated. I am sorry that we did not have capacity to do the same for you this time.

2. You did not appreciate the live music performance held outside at the start of dinner service.
It was at background noise level in the restaurant, and finished at 8pm

3. You woke when other guests went to bed at 1.30
We do ask guests to have consideration for each other, but some are just too self-centred and uncompromising of others

4. My kitchen staff woke you in the morning
Sorry I will remind the staff to be more aware

5. You could not operate the shower or fit in the bath
We are scheduled to replace this bathroom, though I have to say this is the first time I have received a critical review of the dimensions of the bath!

6. You did not like your cereal being individually packed
Really Margaret? I will not be changing to bulk cereals that can go stale and be less hygienic.

7. You expected the fresh fruit that we provide to be cut up as a fruit salad
We offer infused prunes and apricots, fruit compote, and fresh fruit.
So when it comes to fruit you want me to cut it up for you?

8. The bread was not fresh.
Of course the bread is fresh, and of a high quality. I accept it was not to your very particular preference

9. You want to make your own toast
Something of a contradiction here – why would you prefer to make your own toast, but not cut up an apple, or peel an orange?

I am content to read that you will not be returning.

Simon Crow