All reviews berry head mulberry room sunday lunch lovely lunch residents lounge fish pie sunny day window table sea view room stunning views friendly hotel short break brixham harbour wedding brasserie lucinda edward
Reviewed 27 March 2018

The location of this hotel is one of the finest I've been to in the UK and the views across the bay as night are truly wonderful.

Beyond the hotel, there are some fantastic walks across the headland and for history buffs, we were able to walk amongst the old forts, built to guard against the French, during the Napoleonic Wars.

Our room was a good size and there was a well stocked tea/coffee tray. I was pleasantly surprised that the young lad who was looking after the rooms, knocked to make sure we had everything we wanted.

The staff were generally very friendly, although one of the female bar staff and the head waiter seemed a little grumpy.

The only real downside, was the food wasn't as good as I expect when stopping in a hotel of this quality. For instance, the cooked breakfasts were swimming in grease and there was a lack of concentration when ordering, as all our breakfasts came up incorrect and had to go back.

On one night I ate a Thai Chilli dish and was quite surprised with the noodles on two levels. Firstly, they were dehydrated noodles, when fresh are so much better and just as easy to prepare, and the noodles were hard, so they hadn't been boiled for long enough.

I'm hoping that this lack of attention to detail was because they were so busy with the wedding and I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: A sea view is a must
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Littlejohn55
Edward B, Owner at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Thank you for your kind comments...
I am sorry that you had some issues with your food. Normally we receive very good feedback but rest assured
we will look into the comments raised as such feedback is much appreciated and is vital to us in maintaining good product.
I very much hope to see you again.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Evening meal for five in the main dining room. Great views.
Service was OK but just that. First two dishes arrived and we politely waited. Several minutes later, the other three arrived. Ended up with three of our party insisting the others start eating before their food became cold.
The Hake Tandori burger was riddled with bones and although it tasted nice, there was some wasted just because of the bones. I had the mussels which were pretty much tasteless. With a side of garlic bread for the juice. I left most of the bread as the juice was just grey water.
Lovely setting but food was way below expectations. We are back in May. Hopefully it will be better.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Edward B, Owner at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

I apologise that you were not entirely happy with your Brasserie meal on your recent visit.
As you can see from the vast majority of reviews here that such an experience is far from usual.
Unfortunately problems can occur from time to time and I do hope that you raised the issues on the night
whereupon every action should have been taken to rectify the problem. Our only aim is for everyone to leave us looking forward to returning. I have every confidence that on your return in May everything will be to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Just got back from attending a wedding reception and evening function at the hotel. From our post church arrival to eventual departure the service was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble for the very professional and customer service focused staff. Special acknowledgement must go to 'Ken' who looked after the top table in a faultless fashion.
Food was good and service very good indeed, waiting staff being extremely attentive and friendly.
We had anticipated a car parking problem, but the overflow park coped just fine.
The location is fantastic, we have had many summer evening bar meals on the terrace, but sadly weather on this visit was not exactly of the summer variety.
The Berry Head is superb as a wedding venue and we can' t recommend it highly enough!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank vialli54
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We went as a family group of 4 adults and 2 children on Mother's Day. The location is amazing. Lovely views from lovely grounds around the hotel. There are several bar and restaurant areas within the hotel, all of which benefit from the great views. We went for the carvery which was both excellent value and great quality. I would go every Sunday if I lived down here!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

It was a real treat to stay here. Whilst the room was a little old fashioned it was clean and very comfortable. For me it was the main hotel rooms that, from what I saw, appealed to me. The views of the bay were excellent as was the food in the restaurant. It had very comfortable residents areas. Staff very friendly and the breakfast was superb.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Swissfarm
Edward B, Owner at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you very much for your review and we hope to see you again.