All reviews leopard bar candie gardens red carnation first class afternoon tea junior suite high standard wonderful hotel sea view little touches kippers up hill wedding anniversary restaurant staff three nights front of house breakfast and dinner
Reviewed 18 March 2016

My wife organised afternoon tea for my birthday, but disappointingly the scones were cold and stale and some of the treats were rather odd. Sandwiches were good. A friend who had eaten here a few weeks prior said their scones were warm and fresh but had eaten at an earlier time. This is supposed to be a 4star + hotel and so really should do better. When my wife said to the waitress the scones were stale, she just shrugged her shoulders and showed little interest.

1  Thank utanportsmouth
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2016

Dear Utanportsmouth,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us following your visit to The Leopard Bar and Restaurant. I was naturally so sorry to read that you were disappointed with the quality of our afternoon tea which was meant to be a special treat for your birthday. I further regret that the service you received from our team was not what you or I would have wished for it to be.

I would like to assure you that the issues you have outlined in your feedback are not indicative of our service standards and that I will be discussing the issues which you raised with the whole team to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. I would also be pleased to have the opportunity to discuss your experience with you personally and would appreciate if you can contact me direct at the hotel on 01481 726221.

Reviewed 18 March 2016

Arrived at the hotel mid morning - very warm and friendly reception and the rooms were ready. Lovely room, sea view, staff were excellent with helpful advice through out our stay. Breakfast was great with good attentive service. Evening meal was also excellent. Also had dinner in the Old Government House, they opened the Curry room especially for the 4 of us. Generally the staff could not have been more helpful.

We travelled as on a Secret Escapes package which turned out to be a great deal. Although some visitor attractions were not open (too early in the season) we found more than enough to do and travelled on the excellent island bus service.

The hotel was a bit of a climb up from the front but walking through the shops and taking our time it was not really a problem. Parking might be an issue if you had a car although the hotel does have some reserved parking.

Overall lovely stay - thanks DOR.

Dear Phillm03,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to share the details of your weekend break with other travellers. My team and I were delighted to read that you had such a great time exploring Guernsey and that your enjoyed the warm hospitality at both The Duke of Richmond Hotel and our sister hotel, The Old Government House Hotel.

It was wonderful to learn that you found your sea-view room comfortable; breakfasts and dinners excellent and that you thought our team was attentive and very friendly.

We cannot wait to welcome you back when you next decide to visit our beautiful island.

Reviewed 17 March 2016

This hotel has its own suit of armour in the lobby!

My stay here was only 1 night but the room was stunning, it had a sofa and a chandelier! The bed almost needed a step ladder and it was about the most comfy thing ever.
On booking the hotel asks if you want feather or foam pillows - feather is ideal.
The tv was huge and the remote was in a fresh plastic wrapper.
Dinner in the resturant was one of the best I've eaten, as was the breakfast.
I want to return and really explore this place a bit more.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Brinbunny,

Thank you for choosing The Duke of Richmond Hotel for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with other travellers. I was thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and that you enjoyed breakfasts and dinners served at our Leopard Bar and Restaurant.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and that you will have more time to explore our beautiful island.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

We arrived to a lovely welcome and from that moment the staff gave 110%. We have stayed in many hotels but this one went further. A good 4* with the extra small touches which we have never known other 4* hotels to give. Yes, there was the normal sweetie jars but the freshly made hot chocolate with extra sundries to help yourself along with questions of "can we get you anything extra to make you more comfortable?" Just made the stay an absolute pleasure. The whole dining experience was good. Definitely would return.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2016

Dear Heather B,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to post your kind comments on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful time at our hotel and that our little touches and warm, friendly service from our team exceeded your normal expectations from a four star hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you also enjoyed your dining experience at our Leopard Bar and Restaurant.

We hope that we will soon have another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 6 March 2016

I reached Guernsey very early for work and the hotel was very happy to have the room ready for me. They also arranged for a taxi to take me to my office.
Since I was staying longer, the hotel upgraded my room, which included one complimentary glass of wine every evening. Just what I needed after a long day at work. Customer delight!
Rooms are very comfortable and tastefully done. Location of the hotel is very central and walking distance from the town and port.
Lastly, the staff, extremely polite and professional.
Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2016

Dear TaruMehra,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to share the details of your recent experience at The Duke of Richmond Hotel with other travellers. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our professional and friendly service and appreciated the early check in and your room upgrade. It is wonderful that you found your room comfortable and tastefully decorated.

We hope that we will soon have another opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel for another enjoyable stay.