“Consistently perfect”

Tynan's
Ranked #6 of 58 Restaurants in Portlaoise
Cuisines: European
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

As a relative newbie to Portlaoise I made it my business to find Tynan’s after reading a number of reviews and regularly being told that it was the place the locals favored. I have to say I have never been disappointed. Everything is so fresh, and very obviously homemade. The staff are top class and really go out of their way to make sure you’re looked after and get everything you need. Last week I was asked if I wanted my ‘usual’ coffee which really impressed me. I’ve had breakfast, lunch, and just coffee and dessert and everything has been really good. Definitely go early as it gets very busy. A vegetarian friend tells me there’s nowhere like it for variety. Lunch options are good and it’s great to get food that you know is only good ingredients, well cooked as they should be. Really homemade but better! The atmosphere is good and the setting is really different. When you see the same faces on return visits it’s obvious this crew is doing something very right. Owner is regularly about, working hard and always a friendly word. If you like really good food, you won’t be disappointed here.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Went to tynans in the stone yard recently as have heard it was lovely. Wrong.
Went in . There is no menu to sit and read. Its at the door and on a board so ylu have to order at the counter. It wasnt busy but were asked a few times what we wanted. Leavd people alont till they are ready . Pushy.
I weng for the full irish at €€9.95.
Herself had scrambled eggs at €6.50.
So the food arrived my rashers were hard and the small sausages were over cooked. Thats what happens whel left in the ban marie to long. So overall would have to seriously think about returning. Pity it has so much potential. :((

Imelda D, Owner at Tynan's, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Dear Nick,

I'm very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your visit to Tynan's. Our restaurant is self service so there are no menus on the table.
However we do have a display board for regular items and a daily specials menu on display at the food counter. We are always conscious of assisting our customers, including non regulars, who may not be as familiar with our menu and setup. As a result, I'm delighted that my staff were attentive to you. A simple changeover of staff coming out from the kitchen may have resulted in you being checked in with a couple of times and I'm sorry if this was the case for you.

The full Irish which you ordered would have consisted of 10 hot food items as well as tea/coffee and toast or our freshly baked brown bread. The scrambled eggs which your guest ordered would have been freshly made to order and would also come with tea/coffee, and toast/brown bread. Given the quality of our ingredients, I'm confident that this represents very good value. I'm sorry that the sausages and rashers were not cooked to your liking and I'd have been more than happy to change them for you if you had brought this to my attention. I'm really disappointed that we did not have the opportunity to deal with your issues on the day and indeed to make your visit a pleasant one. I do hope you return to visit us.

Kindest regards,

Imelda

Reviewed 19 June 2018

While heading to the South East, we decided to stop off in Tynan's.
We were more than presently surprised.
The location is a little hard to find as it is hidden away. But it was worth it.
Firstly the building is a treasure throe and well worth a root around all the old cloths and furniture.
Secondly, the food was excellent. All fresh and home made.
Only complaint, too much to choose from and the servings were massive.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

We managed to find the café/restaurant which is in an antique centre. Certainly worth finding. We had a generous lunch of stuffed chicken breast, 3 choices of potato and vegetables. We also had bread & butter pudding with cream. Very good value and really tasty.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Avoca-style little restaurant in the middle of an amazing treasure hoard of architectural salvage warehouse.
Small but adequate selection of hot food, salad and dessert. I had a spinach and sweet potato roulade with 5 different salads. Every morsel was absolutely divine. He had the salmon, garlic potato and roasted veg - very fussy man when it comes to food but he was very impressed.
Limited enough selection for kids.
The array of home, garden and even clothes is mind boggling - from Hermes scarfs to copper baths. Absolute treasure trove!