“vacation stop”

Ranked #10 of 171 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fun on the outside and serious about animals on the inside, Zoo Knoxville is committed to giving our guests an unforgettable experience.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We knew when we decided to stop at Zoo Knoxville that it was a smaller zoo than what we are used to. The experience was a pleasant surprise with the way it was laid out. The African elephants were huge and the red pandas were really cute. They had red wolves who were running around with six little wolf puppies. This zoo is definitely worth the stop.

1  Thank Sharon L
Abbie E, Public Relations Manager at Zoo Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Sharon, wow! We are so happy that you and your group had a wildly fun visit to Zoo Knoxville! Thanks for writing a great review, and for giving us 5 stars!

Write a ReviewReviews (1 180)
All reviews
"under construction"
in 27 reviews

79 - 83 of 1 180 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Took my grandson here recently and was very pleased to see such a nice, educational facility in what remains a smaall town.

Wow! Thanks for giving Zoo Knoxville a great review, and 5 stars!

Reviewed 26 June 2018

There are many different animals, and reptiles to learn about. There is a tiger, girafs, gibbons, chimpanzees, and gorillas. I will not give the Knoxville Zoo 5 stars due to the gorillas. There was a sense of sadness with them, they seemed very sad to me. It could had been that they have very little room to move around. I literally cried at the gorilla exhibit. Also, I was told that a mother gorilla lost her baby shortly before I visited.

Abbie E, Public Relations Manager at Zoo Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Celeste:
Thank you for your review of our zoo. We read each and every one of them, and we always take the opportunity to learn from our reviews regardless of if they are positive or negative. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed most of the zoo, and I'm sorry that the gorillas were a problem for you. I'd like to take the opportunity to let you know a little more about our gorilla family and their situation here at Zoo Knoxville. Firstly, the information that you got regarding one of our females losing a baby is untrue. We have three juveniles here from three different mothers that are thriving, happy, healthy and very well integrated into the family. We worked very hard to establish this family here at Zoo Knoxville, and even dad plays a huge role in the wellness of that group. It is the first time that he has been a father, and it is going better than we could have ever imagined. As you probably know, captive breeding in the AZA zoo setting is imperative to saving many species from extinction. The contribution that this family has made to the population as a whole is invaluable, and is the first time this has happened in our zoo's history. Regarding their small space: What I imagine you may have seen was the family in the courtyard (inside part of their habitat). You might have missed the outside aspect of Gorilla Valley. This outside area is a large, lushly planted space with a pool, waterfall, climbing structures, loads of enrichment items, and plenty of space for them to get off public view if they need some privacy. The courtyard, however is air conditioned in the summer, and heated in the winter, so many times (much like us), they choose to be in that climate controlled environment instead of out in the heat or cold. They do, however have the choice most of the time to be outside. There are a number of times that I've heard "the gorillas are sad" in my career. What I'm sure this is coming from is the natural tendency for humans to anthropomorphize (put human feelings to animals), and people naturally interpret their "solemn" faces as stress, sadness or anger. Gorillas just don't have the same mechanisms in their faces that humans do to convey emotions. I assure you that this family of gorillas is one of the most functional, happy, well adjusted gorilla families in the country. The care that they get from their keepers is second to none, and that staff goes to great lengths to meet and exceed all of their requirements, both physically and psychologically every single day. I hope that this gives you some relief from your concerns, and if you would like to speak with me further about this, feel free to reach back out to me directly. Have a great day.

Phil C.
Director of Animal Care

Reviewed 25 June 2018

They have really added some interesting exhibits with the Gibbon in his play area the most interesting. Food in the cafe was good also. The only thing is there is lots of backtracking. One route would make the zoo easier to navigate.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review us! Your feedback is appreciated.