“Delicious! ”
Review of J.C. Holdway

J.C. Holdway
Ranked #38 of 1 256 Restaurants in Knoxville
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Description: J.C. Holdway is a full service restaurant located in downtown Knoxville, TN. We celebrate regional & seasonal foods form the Southeast, cooked by wood-fire.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stumbled apon this place on our date night and were very pleasantly surprised. The drinks were great and the food was amazing! Try the bone marrow mmmmm

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I made reservations after reading about JC Holdway in Southern Living Magazine. My husband and I our Foodies. We love to try new restaurants. I made reservations for Friday evening in late May and we were seated immediately after arriving. Our waitress seem to be in a rush and didn't ask if we have ate here before or even go over the menu. Since I had studied the menu before we arrived, we already knew what we wanted to try. We tried several small plates to share. We started out with the wings and hushpuppies. The wings were very good. Hushpuppies were good but not best we have ever had. The bone marrow was good but there was not much to it. We were scrapping up the cooked marrow with bread. My husband got the mushrooms but he said they were over smoked. I got buttercrunch salad. It was very good and my husband like it too. The pork belly biscuits was excellent! We liked it so much we ordered a second one! Ice tea and water are served in very small glasses. We had to ask for several refills. We finished off the meal with Buttermilk Panna Cotta. It was okay. I was expected something sweeter. We had to wait a long time to get our check to leave. Not sure why our waitress took so long? She never explained why she left us sitting there waiting. For the price we paid, we expected better service. We are not sure we will go back.

1  Thank Candace71
Reviewed 19 June 2018

My Wife, Son, Daughter in Law and myself went here on a Friday evening for dinner. We arrived a little early for our reservation but the hostesses were very courteous and told us our table was ready and asked if would like to go ahead and be seated. When our waiter came to the table he was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We actually started with Appetizers he recommended the cornbread and catfish dip (both were absolutely delicious). The ladies had the small plate scallops my son had the grilled bone marrow and I had the dry aged rib eye steak. I'll start with the scallops, they were some of the best I've ever tasted (really? this is east Tennessee) the bone marrow and vegetables together were rich and delicious! Now for the steak, I have had many steaks in my time but nothing like this as a whole! The steak was served in a large baking dish with roasted vegetables that were dotted with creme fraiche, once the juices from one of the best steaks I've ever had started mixing with the creme fraiche it made a sauce that paired so well with the vegetables it was genius!! The ladies finished the night with the flourless chocolate cake and coffee ice cream, it was unbelievable! What a night, I will be back soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

We went for a going away party. They were helpful with helping us keep the surprise. The food is good love the environment and the waiter was awesome. Just saying if you go you have to try the cornbread lol you will thank me.

Reviewed 26 May 2018

Visited JC Holdway on a Saturday evening with reservations a day in advance. Restaurant was highly praised by friends but didnt live up to expectations. Table for 4 at 6:30 in evening was on time and placed orders quickly. Menu has at least 20 items with price ranges from $20.00 to $70.00. Water and iced tea was served with water being lukewarm and iced tea having no taste. Salads were ok but very minimal in size, one to two bites and its done. Bone marrow starter was 2 long bones with at the most 3 bites served approx 35 min after we ordered. Main entree of steak and chicken were served an hour and a half after ordering. Chicken was barely done but edible, server apologized and said since we took so long please order a desert free of charge which we did, Small portions of cake and ice cream which was added to our bill for a total bill or $171.00 which they did remove. Left restaurant at about 8:30. Needless to say we were not impressed and will most likely not return.

1  Thank TSharpe535