“Self guided tour.”

Amish Heritage Welcome Center and Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Ethridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse drawn wagon tours through the Amish countryside, and Tennessee's oldest Amish farm, now the Amish Heritage Farm Museum. Our guided, educational tour includes an authentic Amish house and Dawdi Haus Museum, Harness shop, Hen-house with animals and a replica one room Amish school house. We also have two Amish buggies that you can take pictures in. NO WHERE ELSE can you tour inside an Amish house and school and take pictures! Photos on this farm only. Take a tour and learn about Amish culture. So much to see and learn, it's fun for all ages! There are two Amish Welcome Centers located next to each other, but tickets to the Museum are ONLY available here! Don't forget to check out our family owned and operated Gift Shop located inside the Amish Heritage Welcome Center! We only sell quality Amish handcrafted furniture, quilts, baskets, soaps, leather goods and more! All on consignment by local Amish. No garage sale items, or flea market junk here! Group discounts and FREE Amish maps!
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Pick up a free map and set out on your own. Amish mark their mail boxes with the items they sell. Everyone I met the day we were there could not have been nicer. They sell a wide variety of food and crafts. Tip. Respect these kind people and leave the camera in the car.

12  Thank Randall S
in 4 reviews
"horses"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although this store is a bit cramped and junky, it is where the horse-drawn wagon rides depart to tour Amish farms. The rides are only $10 per adult - and very informative. Our wagon "tour" stopped at 5 different farms. It was supposed to be an hour and a half long, but we ended up taking almost 3 hours! I really felt like we got a great deal. We enjoyed this tour along with our three teenagers...and they have all commented since regarding how they liked the tour.

Each Amish farm has signs hanging by the road letting you know what they have to offer for sale. We saw fine oak furniture, cedar outdoor furniture, baskets (of course!), jellies, jams, breads (hot!), cookies, berries, syrup, gourds, sling shots, blankets, etc. The hot pumkin bread is fantastic - and the wagon ride thoughtfully had canned drinks on ice for only 50 cents.

There are predetermined farms that the wagon will stop at. But if you see a farm you want to stop at, just tell the driver, and you can stop there too!

Be sure to ask questions - ask questions - ask questions...the more the better. Almost every question I asked was followed up by a related story as our driver had grown up with the Amish and knew most of them very well.

You can, of course, tour the area in your own vehicle. We did ride around by car a bit after our wagon ride, but it obviously didn't have the same feel...much more fun touring by wagon.

19  Thank Jonathan B
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I love Ethridge, Tennessee! I don't take the tour, but I shop here and always pick up something mighty interesting. If you do take the tour, you will go to a couple of Amish farms and pick up some treats, but get in your car and take yourself to the farms. The Amish are wonderful neighbors, as friendly as can be, and you can have rockers, chests, baskets, saddles, bedroom furniture, lawn furniture, fudge, veggies, peanuts, birdhouses, ah man, you name it. Ethridge is a gorgeous little area loaded with kind Amish folks and great little treasures to pick up. I am so lucky I live in Ethridge, Tennessee!

14  Thank cowboybob z
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I went here a few times, took the tour twice, bought some items, have given these folks some pretty good repeat business, you know. The employees were friendly enough, but last time I went in, they were snappy with me just for asking a question about an item I was buying. Guess they didn't like my natural resting face. I overheard them talking about how cruel it was to take photos of Amish since it is against their 'religion' to be photographed, yet the wagon tour driver said you could sneak a photo in. Well, I will say it's my 'religious' belief that it is cruel to hunt and whip animals, that animals should be treated with love and respect, and we'd all be better off if we were vegetarians, but my belief is the weird one around here. Anyway, back to the store - got a map of Amish farms, some interesting goods, some retro stuff, little household items, with a bit of Amish twist. Sometimes an Amish man will sit outside ready to sell you something. The tour takes you to Amish farms where you can buy things. I've bought fudge, peanut brittle, wind chimes, yo yo, and other assorted things over the years. Definitely worth a stop. Just don't take any pictures of the Amish. And that's final.

14  Thank proud_adoptee