Review Highlights
Excellent Memorial!!!

I went in January when it was freezing cold. I am glad I did. There wasn't another soul in the park... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
bmorris1929
South Jordan, Utah
via mobile
Neat "little" memorial of Battleship "X".

My family traveled to Sioux Falls, SD for the 2018 Trains at Christmas train show, and we had some... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Count_Blah
Lidgerwood, North Dakota

All reviews south dakota wwii history greatest generation gun barrel small museum actual size president truman battle ship personal stories nice tribute fun climbing short stop on display piece of history great history worth a visit love history
Reviewed 21 June 2018

So, my kids who have explored the Battleship Texas were a little disappointed that there wasn't a "real" battleship to see. However, the museum is well done and the lady who was working was very nice and informative. She gave great information and history lessons! I wouldn't drive out of the way to visit, but it is a great stop if you're already in the area.

1  Thank Paula W
Reviewed 19 June 2018

We arrived at about 10 minutes before the site was scheduled to close. The staff person on duty urged us to come in, stayed late and answered all of our questions about the ship. Interesting exhibits in the building about the USS South Dakota's accomplishments and the hard work that her crew did.

1  Thank BarbaraN395
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

This memorial park is a nice tribute to the USS SD. The park itself includes a full size outline of the ship. It is a nice park to walk and explore and is adjacent to softball fields. Stay and watch a game if you get the chance.

1  Thank williamo126
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

We were passing through Sioux Falls on a family road trip and our 9 year-old son wanted to stop. He loves history and learning about WWII. We found this to be a good quick stop and they have a ton of interesting artifacts and information. We found the shape of the ship outside interesting too so our son could see the size of a battleship. Great idea. The woman working seemed very knowledgeable, but not overly welcoming to children. She was so worried about him touching anything even though its mostly behind glass. Unfortunately, this is probably not a great stop for kids. It's a great tribute though and should get kids involved more to keep these memories alive.

1  Thank U3428HNmichellel
Reviewed 6 June 2018

I visited the (outside part of the) Memorial early in the morning on a Thursday. There was some traffic noise originating from the road in front of the Memorial. However, if one makes the effort to walk in and around the Memorial, the noise disappears to a large extent. One also has to read the various interpretation panels to appreciate the Memorial and to understand the role of the USS South Dakota during WW II. All in all I found it a solemn place, fit to remember those who fought for our freedom during the Second World War. The visitors center/museum was not yet open when I left. On that early Thursday morning I was the only visitor. This definitely enhanced the overall experience during my visit.
Note: I would have rated this monument 4 or 4.5 out of 5, if this would have been possible. But I assumed that the museum would increase the overall rating.

Date of experience: May 2018