All reviews mini golf pancake breakfast horseback riding palmer gulch fun zone chuckwagon dinner splash pad pancake tent climbing wall jump pillow all you can eat fishing pond black hills wine shop horse stables rv trip fudge
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We stoped at this location for a quick overnight on our way further out west. We chose it because it was near Rushmore and had full hook-ups.

We got there on a drizzly afternoon. We did not wait for an escort to our site as that was it one escort and there were people ahead of us. We just wanted to get to the site. We got an end site (?169 maybe) and it was too small for our 31 foot RV towing a Jeep. We didn’t fit both in comfortably and ended up disconnecting the Jeep for peace of mind.

A well as being small, our site was also very wet/muddy. You could see that other sites had been
built up with gravel/stone, but ours was not. It was hard to position our camper so that our steps wouldn’t place us right in a puddle.

Hook ups all worked well. No issues with them.

There is WiFi only at two designated spots, you cannot get it at your site.

We ate breakfast at the prospector’s tent. It was pancakes for $3.50 each and sides were an additional $3.50 each. We got one side of bacon and one side of sausage and it was ok for 4 of us. The pancakes were really thick and tasted strongly of batter. 1 out of 4 liked them. The syrup bottles were ridiculously sticky and leaked and we were the first customers of the day! We ate there to save time and mess in the RV so we could get on the road. That’s about all it was good for.

If are camping with young children and are staying for a few days, this probably would be for you. They have a water slide, pool, mining area, rent pedal cars, etc. if you are going to a quick overnight or do not have young kids, you could find a better option. There are many in the area!

Reviewed 25 June 2018

When we arrived, I was impressed by the ease of check-in and the escort to our site. That is the only good things I can say about KOA at Mt Rushmore Palmer Gulch. On the negative side, the sites were very small, so small in fact that I did not use my fire ring for fear of setting my neighbors camper on fire. Internet service was not existent if you tried WiFi. If you had an ethernet cable and an older computer, Internet was available at the laundry room. The bathrooms were extremely filthy and the worst I have ever seen in any campground anywhere. Bottom line, this KOA is so enamored with the foo foo stuff that they completely miss on the basic necessities. In addition, the front desk is in desperate need of customer service training. I would not recommend this KOA to any of my friends or family and I will not stay here again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

This was our first RV trip and we were very pleasantly surprised at how amazing this KOA is. Check-in took literally 3 minutes! Our campsite was close to the trails on a wooded area, which we loved for a bit more privacy. (Site 100). The chuck wagon dinner is on-site and a blast to do! The pools were clean. The horse stables are on-site as well. I highly recommend a trail ride, but reserve in advance because the spots fill up fast! We had so many amenities and activities for the kids that we could have just stayed on the grounds and been more than satisfied. Hidden perks are that if you stay here, bring your receipt and you get free admission to the golf course and Wax Museum in Keystone. Also if you rent a car at the KOA, you get free entry into Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park. That’s a lot of savings! Our family of 4 saved $104.00! The bathrooms were always clean. They have individual showers that were as hot as you wanted, clean, and plenty of room to put your things. Also we never had issues getting into the bathrooms or showers. The maps are clearly labeled and staff are always driving or walking around if you need directions (which I did a few times). The roads are all gravel. We had dinner at the Peak Grill. The food was good. Service was a bit lacking but they were busy. I highly recommend this place for families and if you are like us, request a wooded back in for more privacy and you won’t regret it! There is NO WiFi except in a few very limited spots so be prepared to unplug. IF you rent a car, bring a copy of your car insurance policy or take a picture with your phone.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

This is the biggest KOA I’ve every been to. Well over five hundred spaces, and it looked like all were full. They had an efficient check-in, friendly staff. Two swimming pools, hot tubs, play areas, mini golf, restaurants, bar, shops. There was a dog run area but it was very muddy. In fact the entire place was extremely muddy; to be fair, it rained the whole three days we were there, but the roads were gravel and mud. Not knowing how often it rains I don’t know how normal this is, but it was really yucky for us. Also, I don’t think there are enough bathrooms, or if there are there, not any signs helping us find them, I walked at least a half mile at midnight, in the rain, looking for one. (Yes, I had a map, it didn’t help.)
They also have a store that’s open until 11. If you want a tee shirt tho, I’d suggest going in to Keystone, it’s a tiny strip two miles past Mount Rushmore. The t-shirts are prettier and 12 dollars instead of $30. There were many nearby trail heads, even one for a 100 mile bike trail, but because of the rain (and cold) I didn’t get to try any out. If we were to ever come back this way, I’d probably stop here again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2018

This place is a city for campers. Shops, restaurants, 2 pools, waterslide, pancake feed for breakfast. Its truly a unique KOA experience. 10 minutes from Mt Rushmore, and many family friendly activities to do daily. And everything with the exception of the horseback riding is included. They advertise they have wifi, I'm not the first person to review this, it doesn't work. If you need internet service make sure to have your own cellular option and a cell booster, your in a valley with ZERO service. We used our portable radios to communicate during the day around camp. Pancake breakfast, $3.50 all you can eat sounds good, but you will pay $3-4 for a beverage. The dog yard, Kamp K9, is in a wet spot on the campground, so it was a mud hole every time we went there. The staff do a nice job keeping the place clean, in the evening after supper time, there is a guy who drives around and collects all the trash from the campers for the day, he said it helps to keep the critters away. We would stay here again, and will have a cell booster next time.