All reviews condo building across the street lazy river ocean front ocean view cafe hot tub outdoor pool full kitchen wall bed older hotel washer dryer ocean blvd oceanfront room flat screen family vacation housekeeping staff up to date
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Horribly unprofessional, bordering on illegal! They cancelled our reservation and left us with no where to stay at 8:00 on a Sunday evening during the area's busiest season!

We booked nearly 2 months prior to our trip. We paid the deposit with our personal card and our business manager paid the remainder with a business card. Our business manager had to email and call several times to accomplish this; the staff seemed unfamiliar with this type of transaction. She called and spoke with a manager at the facility 3 days before our trip and he told her that everything was taken care of. We arrived and were told that we could not check in because the balance was not paid. As it was Sunday night, we asked if we could check in and clear up the confusion during normal business hours the next day. We were told that because the first night had been paid, we could do that; we were warned that if our business manager did not clear things up by 11:00am, we would be forced to leave. We called our manager - on a Sunday evening - she spoke with the desk clerk, gave her payment confirmation number, and the name of the manager with whom she spoke. They still would not honor the payment. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that there was no manager onsite on Sunday or Monday. The clerk called the manager, refused to let me speak with him, then went into a back room and closed the door to speak with him. Reportedly, his solution was to cancel our reservation. I was so angry at this point, that I did cancel the reservation. They provided a receipt that showed reversal of the charge for the deposit. They said that the only way to get a full cancellation invoice was to email it to me. I got the email and with a confirmation of cancellation, however, they still showed that we owed the entire balance! I called and the clerk said that she was old and did not understand all this computer stuff so she could not correct the invoice; I could just take her word that we did not actually owe almost $1500.00!
Luckily, we found a lovely place to stay. The reservations agent at the new place could not have been nicer!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2018

Ridiculous price for this run down, no frills room. Stingy with the dingy towels and wash clothes. You will not find any complimentary shampoo/conditioner in this place. Nasty, sticky carpet and floors. Worn out curtains. The beds were the worst part of all. Had to lay in the indention in the center of the bed to keep from falling out. The mattresses must be 100 years old. Yellow pillow with tag hanging out under the pillow case. Paid $539 for 3 nights of misery. Something splattered and stained on the bathroom wall around the tub. Just nasty. Would have left earlier but they have a "no refund" policy, which I totally understand, because once you're settled in, you realize what a mistake you've made. The outdoor pool was nice but that's the only good thing I can say about this dilapidated old place. Tried to avoid being in the room as much as possible but there are some things you have to do there such as shower and sleep. Bad experience.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank bluejay432
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

My family and I have stayed at this hotel for 15+ years. Each year we come back, more and more things are worse for wear. This year, the flooring on the balcony was torn up. The dividers for the rooms are broken. WiFi only works in half of the room. TV remotes are taped up and don’t work half of the time because the backs are missing.

The worst part about this year, though, were the constant fire alarms. We must have heard at least 4 during our stay, the last one happening at 2 in the morning. By that point we decided to just go back to sleep, because when you call the front desk to inquire about the threat of a fire, they say you can come down “if you want to”. I suppose it happens so often at this hotel that they no longer require their residents to walk down flights of stairs in the middle of the night just to be told someone burnt their popcorn. We have had these fire alarm problems in previous years staying here as well, but they were never this bad.

The only upsides to Holiday Sands South are their rates and an oceanfront view. Without those, they would have closed down long ago. So if you’re looking for a hotel with a decent price and you don’t mind a few shortcomings with the room and employees, this is the place for you. If you’re wanting quality service and a nice, upkept building, look elsewhere. You will be disappointed.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank ParadiseGal88
Reviewed 5 June 2018

My family and I go to the beach 1-2 times a year, and usually we stay at the Holiday Sands South (the other times we usually stay at the campground). We have stayed in the hotel building and the condo building. The hotel building usually works best for us, but the condo building is nice also. We have had nothing but a nice experience every time we have stayed here. It is family friendly and all of the staff is nice and helpful. The café downstairs is a plus also. The only thing I have to complain about is the parking. There are limited parking spaces near the hotel, so you have to park across the road. Other than that very nice review on Holiday Sands South!

Room Tip: Condo side view rooms give you an ocean view and a view of the road. Which my dad likes the best because he is nosy :)
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank WillowM18
Reviewed 26 April 2018

This place is ridiculous, rooms are run down, motel is run down, I don't think they have ever replaced the bedding, roaches, called to speak to a manager and kept being told he would call me back. "Jeff" I read other reviews and have no idea how this man still has a job it seems this is a pattern for him. Extremely disappointed with the establishment and its management. Although I also see they do not bother to even respond to TripAdvisor comments but hopefully the comments will save others from this place.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business