All reviews labor day weekend minute walk microwave balcony bike
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

I booked a 4 day / 3 night weekend through Hilton Grand Vacations (yes, the one where they try to sell you a timeshare). I figured, how bad it could it be? Listen to their BS for 2 hours and then run out the door...

Well, I didn’t even make it to the tour because the hotel that HGV put me was this “Grand Hilton Head Inn”. The salesperson from Hilton Grand Vacations told me “we have a brand new property across the street from the Helton Beach Resort”. Yeah, right.... First, it is not a Hilton property and second, it is no where near brand new by any stretch of the imagination.

My wife and I checked into this Grand Hilton Head Inn and we basically went into the room, sat on the bed and thought “WTH did we do?”. So, 20 minutes later I found the Marriott Beach Resort just up the road and booked it for the weekend. We didn’t stay at the Grand Hilton head for more than 30 minutes.

I suppose I shouldn’t hold this completely against them. I am sort of a hotel snob since I travel 150+ days per year and I basically always stay at Hilton properties all around the world. I have a certain expectation for hotels.

This hotel was recently renovated, but it basically looked to be 90% done on the floors they said were “done”. Lights were half hanging on the wall, light covers missing, etc...

I would not stay at this hotel. Ever. But, I suppose it would be OK if you just need a cheap place to crash for a night or two for a beach weekend... But, I wouldn’t crash here. Not me. No thanks.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jasongT6695AV
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Our room was large but the balcony door wouldn’t lock. Also, the bar sink leaked. This room was newly but poorly renovated. There was only one working elevator so there was always a long wait, especially when the elevator was shared with construction crews. On the positive side, the staff were friendly and the breakfast satisfying.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 12 September 2018

We usually rent a condo on the beach, but last Labor Day weekend we decided on a last minute trip to HHI - almost impossible to find any accommodations. We settled on The Grand Hilton Head with very low expectations, but the location is exactly where we wanted and it was just across the street from the beach. So the name might be a bit hopeful, but it was much nicer than I expected given the price. Sure, it was far from perfect (I usually stay at more upscale locations), but for the money - it was very satisfactory.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2018

We were booked there by Hilton so we could be subjected to a two hour pitch for their Grand Vacation property across the street (which is a complete rip off at 30k, make sure you set your timer so you don't get suckered into a whole day there)
This hotel is not a Hilton property but part of Best Western which has another hotel behind it that looks very sketchy.
This hotel was under construction and there was constant noise and dust throughout. The pool was closed because debris was falling from the second floor. The front desk staff was nice, the breakfast was terrible. Watered down orange juice, rotten fruit. You are better off going to a Publix or Whole Foods and getting fresh food there. The bike rentals outside the hotel are a rip off at $30 a day. We walked 20min up to Pope Street and rented a tandem for $12 (Which you can ride on the beach to get to Sea Pines without paying the gate fee). Don't move your car if you have a parking spot otherwise you will be headed to a low lit area that does not feel comfortable. Was supposed to be there for 3 nights but decided after 2 days it was enough and moved to a nicer Hampton Inn in Savannah.

Room Tip: Sleep in the car, you will feel more comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guide798316
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

This hotel was surprisingly nice for what we paid for It on Labor Day weekend - to be honest, it was nicer than I expected.

Pros:
Super close to the beach for not “on” the beach. Cross on road and you’re right on the beach path. It was maybe a 4-5 minute walk, and that’s because the sand path to the beach slows you down. You really can’t ask for much more in convenience for off-beach.
Clean. I was expecting a roach motel but this hotel was really nice! Clean lobby, nicely furnished room, super clean.
It really is a SHORT walk to the restaurant area. If you have a bike, it’s even quicker (Hilton Head is a biking community).
Hot breakfast was standard hotel fare (eggs, ham, sausage, waffle station, toast/bagels, coffee, assorted muffins and fruit) but it was free and served at the right temperature.
Refrigerator in room!

Cons:
Only 1 elevator was working, and it was slow as molasses.
The furniture has been updated but the fixtures haven’t. Close inspection looks like they tossed a coat of paint over peeling and called it a day.
Balcony- barely had room to stand; a chair wouldn’t fit so don’t count on coffee on the porch.
Our air conditioner and tub both leaked. The carpet was wet when we used a/c and the bathroom floor also got really wet when showering.
The parking situation is intense - you’ve got to not move your car or you may not get a space back.
Employee “Lobster” was bad mouthing guests to other guests in the full, slow elevator. It was weird and unprofessional.

Despite the negatives, this was a nice place to stay within minutes of the beach. I’d stay here again with my family.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family