This was a trip planned especially for my mother who was recovering from breast cancer surgery. We arrived at the beach house just before 4:00 p.m. To our surprise, we discovered that there were absolutely no toiletries in the house. The biggest surprise was, NO TOILET PAPER. I would not have minded if we would have been at least informed of this. When we asked about the complete lack of toiletries, the response was that guests steal them. The bed linens and towels we ordered were also not at the house. When I called Edisto Essentials, I just got their answering machine stating that they do not deliver after 4, and they close at 5. I had to call the owner, who managed to contact them, as that was the only way we were going to receive our linen request.
Here are a few other issues we discovered once we were inside the beach house.
-Only one bedroom TV working. Two TV's not working due to any remote batteries. At least one TV not working, even after we purchased batteries.
-Bedroom upstairs on right had bugs. Not sure what they were, but I saw about 100 small insects on walls, many above the bed. I initially killed most of them, but there were m
-Bedroom door upstairs facing street has panel torn away. Someone could catch a piece of clothing on it, and possibly rip it off.
Bunk bed rail screws are falling out. A child or adult could accidentally trap an arm or leg in between the rail, possibly causing a bad injury.
The bedroom upstairs facing the beach was missing a window covering, which meant that we had to provide a window covering for privacy.
After that first introduction to this beach house, I wanted to leave and take my family to a hotel. However, after sleeping on it we decided that the trouble to move and the loss of money we used to pre-pay for the beach house would probably be worse than staying. When we handed the keys in after our stay, we started to explain the issues we had experienced to the beach house management staff, but quickly realized that they did not care. The only response they gave us was that not receiving the linens was not their fault.
When we returned home, I documented our issues in an email that I sent to the owner. She stated that she would check on the items of concern. After a few days, the owner wrote back to me and acknowledged the issues; however she refused to consider any monitory compensation.
One star because of the hugely disappointing start.
First, the good:
1) the people at Odisto Realty are great to worth with. We had several last minute changes in our schedule and they accommodated us wonderfully. In fact, we liked them so much I'm probably letting up some on this review.
2) it's quiet.
3) as close to the ocean as you're likely to get in a beach house and a beautiful view right out the windows.
Now, the bad:
1) good thing the view is so good from inside because the mosquitos will eat you alive if the wind's not up.
2) many dead cockroaches greeted us on our arrival. Otherwise, the place was not very clean.
3) two of the tub drains were very slow rendering them useless.
4) unless you're really into over-priced, mediocre fried food, prepare to make your own meals. Of course, that can be said of most of the Carolinas.
5) it's 50 miles to a town of any size
6) considering what you pay and what you get, why aren't linens provided?
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
|Check-in / front desk||Service|