“Mr. Brown was such a treat. What a fun and informative tour.”
Review of Gullah Tours

Gullah Tours
Ranked #53 of 238 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On our GULLAH TOUR we give an interesting glimpse into an ancient culture of these mysterious people descending from way across da water. Gullah people are the direct blood descendants of the slaves brought to the Lowcountry regions of South Carolina and Georgia; including both the coastal plain and the Sea Islands. These peculiar people were brought to Charleston by way of cargo slave ships. Charleston held the largest slave market in the United States where the Gullah culture & language continues this very day.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

What a nice tour. I'm very happy that we chose this one. I flaked out and didn't bring my book with me. I forgot he wrote it. I would have scribbled notes on all of the pages along the tour. Mr. Brown and his book are both wonderful and I recommend them both. I think it's great that he has the screen to show photos of some people and sites to better show and tell the stories. We really enjoyed the tour. Thank you!

All reviews
"al miller"
in 4 reviews
"hour tour"
in 16 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 10 reviews
"wealth of information"
in 6 reviews
"visitor's center"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2018

This is a tour about the Gullah's role in the history of Charleston. You will see parts of Charleston that are not on the conventional tours, which gives you a better appreciation of the city - past and present - and all its inhabitants. Alphonso Brown is delightful and informative, and in case you miss anything, he has a book...

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We did several city tours but this one was the best. Our tour guide has written a book about the city. He was a delight.

Reviewed 5 June 2018

First off, this tour is excellent. Mr. Brown has an excellent sense of humor! He made the tour very fun and interesting. We got to see parts of Charleston that no other tour took us to.

That being said, it was more a history of African American achievements within Charleston than a Gullah tour. Also, he covered general Charleston history as well. We were hoping to get an education on the Gullah history and culture on this tour. The name of the tour would suggest that. There was a short Gullah language lesson. But that was all I can recall about the Gullah culture.

I would recommend this tour to everyone, however, know what you are getting. It is a general history and black history within Charleston tour. Well worth the price paid! The bus was comfortable. A great attraction to do when it's rainy in Charleston as well!

6  Thank crocky66
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Based on the tour name and Mr Brown’s website, I was expecting a tour about the Gullah people and culture. We were hoping for a tour about the slave experience in Charleston. What this is is a tour of the city of Charleston given by a Gullah descendant. The tour itself was good-as with any tour, I learned a lot from him about the people and places he pointed out. He did give us a lesson on the Gullah language as well. I’m not saying the tour wasn’t good or that you shouldn’t take it, it just wasn’t what I was expecting.

9  Thank Greengirl87