“Good southern food, snobby service”
Review of Poogan's Porch

Poogan's Porch
Ranked #48 of 983 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$12 - US$34
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting & King
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Our hostess was sweet and brought us to a nice table in charming room despite no reservations at 5 pm on a Wed. We were feeling very good about this highly recommended, low country cuisine restaurant until Porsche, our server started talking. Our simple questions and requests were met with replies such as "well the cherries are for our real drinks but I will see what I can do." ( One of us had requested a second cherry in a Shirley Temple, we do not drink alcohol) Porsche was obviously talking and laughing about us with her colleagues. There were at least 3 snobby remarks by the time our appetizer was served.(wonderful fried green tomatoes) I served tables at nice restaraunts in my college days and never treated anyone like this. I have served all types of people and I know our group was definitely not deserving of the service we received.

Adam G, General Manager at Poogan's Porch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

I want to express my gratitude to you for submitting your feedback about your previous visit to our restaurant. At Poogan's Porch we pride ourselves on exemplifiying Southern Hospitality, and I am personally saddened to hear that your experience was blemished by anything other then perfection. We are continually expressing the importance of a warm and welcoming environment for our guests with our staff. If you would be so kind as to reach out directly to me via email adamgraves@poogansporch.com so that I would get more information on your visit. I would love for the opportunity for us to make up for this lacking visit to you.

Write a ReviewReviews (6 457)

52 - 56 of 6 456 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Food and ambiance are the best! Service was outstanding. We sat in the main room behind the bar and it was perfect.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Bourbon smoked quarter chicken is $24. Shrimp and grits plate is $27. Mac & Cheese appetizer is $10. Our total bill for six people including tip was $53 a head. It was our most expensive meal during the week we spent in Charleston. It's almost impossible to get seating during peak times. Reservations days in advance are required. I'm not sure I understand why it's so popular.

The food is good but not incredible. At that price point, I want to walk away saying that was some of the best food I have ever tasted. Angel Oak's shrimp and grits run circles around Poogan's. The chef recommended the duck be served rare. It's was a good suggestion on flavor, but then it was chewy and difficult to cut even with a knife. I do think they serve good food, it's just way over priced.

Service is also not commensurate with their pricing. Our service was polite and helpful, but like the food it should be over the top service to justify a $60 tip. The atmosphere is cool. It's in a traditional Charleston house, so each room has a different feel.

I know I would not come back, and I would not recommend it given all the other wonderful places we ate during the week with lower prices and equal flavors.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A colleague who teaches SC history recommended this place, and mentioned it was haunted. I took some friends visiting from England. It was a great place to sample some true southern food. We had biscuits with gravy, chicken and waffles, grilled pimiento cheese sandwich, and eggs Benedict. All was delicious! Sweet tea and lemonade were perfect, and the air conditioning was appreciated after walking around Charleston in 95 degree weather. Our waitress was great and enlightened us on the "hauntedness" of the building when asked. Pretty cool.

1  Thank Leslie L
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We came for Sunday Brunch and were delighted to be seated right away (9:30am on a Sunday) I'm a southerner so grits are a sticky point for me, Poogans did not disappoint. Most at the table had eggs, bacon/sausage, grits/home fries. Biscuits & sausage gravy was ordered for the "table" and were enjoyed, someone ordered the fried pimento cheese and they enjoyed. The ambiance was the best! There was $6 parking next to the restaurant which made it much easier to get in and out.