“Outstanding food and service.”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Ranked #1 of 983 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was our second time to Halls.. Once before for their Sunday Gullah singing lunch which is also amazing.
I cannot say enough about this restaurant, everything positive.... from the minute you walk in, you are greeted, shown to your table, reservations a must even a few weeks in advance,
We were celebrating an anniversary and a birthday. Billy, the owner arrived at our table with glasses of champagne. We were told we were in the celebration room...The restaurant is large with several different rooms.
We all had different cuts of steaks and all were excellent.
I accidentally knocked over a glass of water and an entire “team” came out and in a matter of seconds had changed our white tablecloth. Glasses, napkins etc and said, not to worry , it happens all the time. You do not get that type of service in many places or any I have been in... it was cleaned up in a light hearted way and no one was “put out “.
We have eaten at many fine dining restaurants and Hall’s CHop House is our favorite.
My son in law took our 14 yo grandson there for his birthday and they were too full for dessert and they sent him home with a slice of. Birthday cake. And than received a hand written note saying they hoped he enjoyed his birthday at Halls.
Outstanding restaurant....

1  Thank Sandra P
Write a ReviewReviews (5 151)

59 - 63 of 5 153 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was so disappointed when I couldn't get a reservation at Halls on my visit to Charleston. So I decided to show up anyway at about 6:00 to try to get a table in the bar area. Upon arrival, the Maitre D' offered us a romantic table in the dining room! It was definitely our lucky day, because the restaurant was completely packed, and the table was perfect! Our servers were incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. The choice of wet aged and dry aged beef was beyond impressive. My fiance had a filet mignon, and I ordered the seared scallops. The scallops were fresh and prepared perfectly. We tried several sides. Their signature corn side dish was incredible, a definite must! If you have never been to Halls, give it a try. You will NOT be disappointed!!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Pricey, but great value because of the service and attention to detail. Filet was perfect med/rare and the corn skillet was enough for 4 even though there was only 2 of us. Seafood tower was excellent as was our wine and pre-dinner drinks at the bar. Love coming here and it gets better every time.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

When you arrive at Halls the owner of the restaurant is at the door to greet you.This was indicative of the service, warmth, and hospitality we would experience throughout our evening. I have never been made to feel so welcome at a restaurant in my life. We were a party of 8 including 2 kids in town to celebrate my in laws 50th wedding anniversary. Chris was our server and he took impeccable care of us. However the amount of staff to take care of you was something I have never seen. When plates are cleared 10 waitstaff arrive like a symphony to whisk everything away. For starters we had a variety of salads which were fresh and flavorful. The beet salad (With spiced cashews, orange supremes, chevre, finished with local honey) the Caesar salad, wedge salad (Iceberg lettuce with smoked bacon, blue cheese and avocado) and the field greens (goat cheese, spiced pecans with sherry honey vinaigrette) were all excellent.
The restaurant also sent over 2 glasses of champagne to toast my in laws which was such a classy touch. The owner said he wanted to get the evening off to a great start. Which of course it did. The kids were well taken care of with macaroni and cheese and chicken fingers with fries. The restaurant also provides crayons and coloring pages to help keep the kids occupied. Our mains were all fantastic: the seared salmon with fingerling potatoes and sautéed spinach, tomahawk Steak, bone in filet, and veal chop. Each prepared as requested and executed flawlessly. I did not have the sides but my family raved about the pepper jack creamed corn (their favorite) , onion rings, mashed potatoes, and sautéed spinach. Dessert was 3 different types of cake: chocolate layer, cheesecake and caramel cake with bananas foster. All were excellent. Particularly impressive was the decaf coffee which was French Press (nice touch). On our way out there was a live band playing downstairs (so cool) and were again thanked by the owner for coming.We would come back to this restaurant again in a heartbeat. This was our third evening in Charleston and was hands down the best meal of the trip.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were met at the door by Billy Hall with a warm welcome. The staff was pleasant and attentive. The gospel singers offered beautiful music. I ordered one of the omelette specials and mimosas. My friend ordered the sweet potato pecan pancakes. Delicious. The atmosphere is upscale, yet friendly. Do make a reservation. It was sad to see disappointed would-be patrons walk away.