“Nightmare.”

The Cafe an American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cafe an American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 295 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Italian, Contemporary
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We recently held a small event at The Café and were treated poorly by the staff. Poorly is an understatement; we were treated like garbage. The grief began when we tried to arrange the tabletops. The staff did not like - and did not welcome - our own ideas for our event. They became very confrontational when they learned the tabletops might be arranged a little differently than they were used to. One server was talking about our group loudly enough for one of us to hear, and when confronted, she became nasty - right in front of the manager of The Café. The manager did not reprimand this server, but rather contributed to the ongoing insults. This same server personally attacked one of our planners - first staring at her chest, insulting her, and finally charging that her attire was inappropriate. In addition, this server became destructive and attempted to damage our property. At the end of the event, we received a small discount. The owner discounted what would have been the gratuity. Of course we were not going to pay gratuity for being talked about, treated poorly the entire night, sexually assaulted, and for someone attempting to damage our personal items. Aside from gratuity, The Café did not deduct any additional costs. We have planned many events and have all been in the service industry at some point. We have never seen behavior like this. We have never seen anybody get away with treating paying customers so terribly. We have never seen an issue handled this badly.

6  Thank hello185

Reviewed 31 January 2010

During the day, it runs as it has for years, with a "deli style". You order at the line, take a number, have a seat and wait for your food to be brought out to you. The former 'Pic-A-Deli' was always known for delicious food at extremely reasonable prices with a very efficient ordering system for the working class. Come in, eat a great meal, and still make it back to work without being late. This has not changed, thank goodness.

At night, however, is when THE CAFE transforms into so much more as the dining area opens with a full wait-staff for a fine dining experience. I would be remiss if I did not mention the atmosphere is elegant but uncomplicated, fancy but not full of itself. The service is extremely friendly and attentive. The food, however, takes center stage (as it should). From simple to complex, every meal that comes out of that kitchen is a delectable work of art. Something you may not expect? The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable as well!

I will be going back, again and again.

I can't say enough good things about THE CAFE. It is a little gem close to every hotel and resort in the area. It's extremely easy to find and worth checking out. You won't be disappointed!

2  Thank SpANG1
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Beware! If you are considering having a private event at this location, be prepared to have a back-up plan because there is a chance of getting bumped for something bigger and better! (I would give them zero stars if Yelp would let me!)

My fiance and I had booked their private room for our 30+ person rehearsal dinner months ago - we put a deposit down, had the menu set and everything. Less then a month before the dinner, I receive a call from Jeff saying that a big reunion was actually booked a year prior, it just somehow got deleted off his calendar and he wants to move us to his good friend's restaurant, Portofino's - which, by the way, has been closed down for months and may still be closed by then. He then proceeds to tell me that I shouldn't be concerned because he's not concerned and it's not a problem.

Unfortunately, I was and still am concerned for a number of reasons - not the least bit being how unprofessionally he has handled this situation and the lack of empathy for the clients he is trying to boot out of his restaurant. There was also never an offer to make up for the inconvenience in any way.

With that being said, I believe our business will be better appreciated elsewhere and yours will be too.

5  Thank mjose182