“weekend stay”
Review of The Commoner

The Commoner
Reserve with OpenTable
The Commoner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 2 288 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At our gastropub, we don’t distinguish between commoners and kings; we just want to feed the good people of Pittsburgh. In the restaurant and at our grab-and-go carvery window, seasonal menus add a modern flair to classic comforts, complemented by a robust selection of local beers and craft spirits. It’s all served in an industrial-inspired setting in downtown Pittsburgh. Come and join us for an uncommonly good time.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

sta nite dinner and drinks were great....Sun brunch was equally great...Bloody Mary bar was awesome...great atmosphere

TheCommonerPGH, Manager at The Commoner, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

We think our Bloody Mary bar is great. Glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I think that the place has a retro industrial look which is very cool unique spot. we ate there multiple times since we were staying the Monaco Hotel connected to it.
The first night was roasted chicken which was absolutely delicious and my daughter had the potato soup & salad which was good. The second day, we had fried cauliflower which was bread and good for the appetizer. However, we all ordered the Ribeye steak which was a disappointment-I ordered my medium rare and came out medium, not a mouth watering high quality steak I think we all agree -it was $38 each-I would order their meat sauce to the side since we didn't like it. We had breakfast there for two days as well, the omelets were good and potatoes, I didn't like the day old grain/oats -maybe I was thinking more of oatmeal though, but the regular things were good. Overall I would rank it 3.5*, I would come back but be selective.

TheCommonerPGH, Manager at The Commoner, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

I'm sorry we did not all of the points of the food this time, but we are glad you will be back

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel Monaco and decided to try their restaurant - what a great find! I had the Yellowfin tuna which was superb, complimented by very nice glass of wine. Menu has nice offerings. Server and hostess were all quite friendly and upbeat

We are so happy you enjoyed your meal with us.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

It looks great this industrial building from the 1920's turned into a restaurant. Open kitchen, quick service and interesting list of wines and beers. The food was not more than average. Very bland starters (cauliflower, flatbread). Main dishes (burger, corned beef with red cabbage and brussel sprouts) were rather tasteless. We decided not to have dessert - the conversation was pleasant, the food not memorable.

TheCommonerPGH, Manager at The Commoner, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

I'm sorry that our food did not meet you expectations. I would like to speak to you in more detail so please reach out to me at info@thecommonerpgh.com

Reviewed 20 March 2018

Stopped in on Saturday for lunch with my girlfriend around 2pm. It was my first time visiting and she had recommended it based on a couple things - the interior is beautiful and the menu has interesting combinations, which seem to be enticing upon glancing through.

We immediately ordered coffee and when that was brought, we requested the sweet potato bisque to start. The best part of our meal was this dish - it was really the only redeeming quality of our experience at The Commoner. Honestly, we did not see much of our waitress during the meal. Since we have both worked as servers, we chalked this up to having something to do with the slow time between lunch and dinner. But, we specifically said we were almost ready to order the meal as we placed the soup order - and only needed a minute. We did not see her again until about 10 minutes later when our soup was finished. Eager to order our food, we requested a medium rare steak and the cauliflower -shouldn't take long right?

Wrong again - we waited almost 25 minutes for that food to come out. In last 5 minutes of that time frame, we watched our $28 steak die under heat lamps (restaurant kitchen is open concept/in plain view) - while it waited for the crispy (real talk -- fried) cauliflower. Confused about the kitchen and waitstaff logic at this point. Still - after the undesired wait - we ate the luke warm and overcooked steak. The menu listed pomme frites + foie gras butter + petite salad. We were not expecting frozen out of a bag cheap french fries with 2 sprigs of spider lettuce thrown on top. I would honestly have preferred Wendy's fries to these cheap frozen "frites". The cauliflower was pretty good but, the experience had been soured by the wait time and the terrible excuse for $28 lunch steak that was presented to us.

The one mistake I made in the experience was not saying something when the waitress asked how the meal was. I simply replied "good" and asked for the check- I am always hesitant to complain when being served. I do not like to leave bad reviews because it can seem unfair based on ONE experience- However, at this point my girlfriend and I are waiting again- for the check. Discussing how let down we were with the whole thing- Then it all came together when she admitted that she was afraid this might happen---Confessing her TWO prior experiences here had terrible service encounters. She was a waitress at the time and assumed it was just poor luck.

Bottom line: Three strikes and you're out. This establishment is missing a lot of crucial parts to charge the $$$ for the experience they are pretending to create.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Please reach out to us so that we could discuss in more details at info@thecommonerpgh.com