“Must Try”
Review of Ditka's

Ditka's
Reserve with OpenTable
Ditka's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 2 288 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Found this restaurant through TripAdvisor. Impressed with great food, professional service. Nice ambiance. Steak quality was really nice. A must try.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On my visit to Ditka's I had "Da pork chop" and at nearly $35 it was hardly worth "Da price". The mashed potatoes that accompany the chop had no flavor at all and were only edible after a heavy dose of salt and pepper. I would have preferred to substitute the jalapeno hash brown but I was told that was not allowed, which I don't understand since I was willing to pay the difference. The only good part of the meal was the peanut butter cheesecake. Although it was good, it was supposedly homemade but it did not look or taste like it. On a positive note, the bartender Bob was friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable.
In short, I've had much better pork chops for much less and with all the other great dining options in the area, I would not return to Ditka's.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Four guys. Two of the steaks over cooked and returned. Service was slow and extremely inattentive. Never even asked ; “how was the meal?”

Won’t be returning

Reviewed 6 June 2018

The only time I ever saw Mike Ditka play in person was the Sunday after the Kennedy assassination. He caught a pass and authored a highlight-reel run...smashed through about six different tacklers. I'm sure you can find that video somewhere.

Ditka's restaurant is like that...no frills, no frou-frou space, just come in, sit down, and eat. We were there with another couple, about 5:30 on a Tuesday, and the restaurant was fairly empty. By the time we left at 7:30 the place was packed. The space is nothing to write home about and the prices are anything but cheap, but apparently people really like it.

We were celebrating, so the other couple decided to treat us to a bottle of wine. The wine was pretty lousy. 36 dollars. But they were treating so we oohed and aahed. I decided to buy a better bottle for round two so I grabbed the wine list. I am not a go-to wine guy but I do know my way around a wine list. The prices for the Cab. Sauvs. were very high. Big selection, but high priced, for sure. I selected a 2014 Flora Springs which was 95 dollars. At that price it was disappointing.

We started with some bruschetta for the table. You can tell Mike is not Italian. But we are. The garlicky, tomatoey topping was fine, the spongy, semi-toasted strips of bread were not. A strange bruschetta.

You go to a place like that, or at least we do, for steak. One renegade at the table ordered chicken...a nice big serving, and she liked it. The rest ordered steak. The wife enjoyed hers, the other guy was satisfied, and I had the 16 oz. strip. The steak was a perfect medium rare. Perfect. They claim to use Angus beef but do not claim it to be "prime." It did not taste like a prime steak but was quite good. I had a "giant baked potato" for a side. I asked for it to come loaded. It came loaded, and cold. They took it away and brought a hot one fairly quickly. And oddly, at those prices, they added a dollar to put some crumbly bacon on it.

We opted for the "special" dessert of the day...a fancy cheesecake. It would not make anyone from Noo Yawk sit up and take notice; ordinary.

The service was fine. Katharine was very good. When I got home I put the credit card receipt away and noticed that in all the fun at the table I had put the wrong tip down. I wanted to go 20-25% but instead only did 10%. So...I had to call the restaurant and explain to the manager that I screwed up the tip. They hadn't entered it yet so I added an appropriate amount to the bill. I'm discriminating, but I ain't cheap.

Below, on the tripadvisor rating I placed the food and value at three stars. Ditka's would actually be a four-star place for us, but I had to dock them a star for the wine situation. If wine is not a critical part of your dining, then it's a four star for you.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

I ate there with a group of friends a few weeks ago for a birthday celebration for two of the folks in the group. Being from Chicago and eating at Ditka's there for years, we have always been big fans. Since moving to Pittsburgh, we have eaten there many times and spent a lot of money monthly at this establishment. We brought in a group of special bottles of wine and I called ahead to see about a corkage fee. Instead of an answer, I was told to go online. I thought it was odd not to get an answer, but kindly went online to see the policy. I did, which is attached to this review. It basically says that you can't bring bottles they carry (which we did not) and that the first two are free and then $20 after for each bottle. We had 4 bottles amongst the 6 of us and the check came out and was $100 for corkage. I went online and showed the server what I had found and he went back to check with the GM. I should mention here the server was very nice and in the end had to apologize for the GM's behavior. The GM came out of the kitchen after some time and he was loudly talking about our table to the server which we explained to him was very unprofessional and that we head the whole conversation. I then showed him the online information and explained my story and instead of just making a decision and accepting the proof I showed him online he had to call someone in Chicago to check if he could adjust the bill. This was the General Manager of the restaurant!!!! He disappeared into the kitchen and after 20 minutes of not returning and making us wait after our dinner was finished, I went looking for him. I went to the edge of the kitchen door and asked someone to get him. When he came out, he was visibly upset but still on the phone. I asked him what was taking so long and told him it was ridiculous that he was not just handling this. He then excused himself from the call for a second while he threatened to call the police on me! For what??? For telling him it was ridiculous that he was a terrible professional and that a GM should be able to make a decision? I told him to forget the whole thing, we paid the bill and I explained I would never be back. In fact, none of the 6 people there that night would ever go back to that place. If this was the last spot to eat in Pittsburgh, I'd move before eating there. Your GM is cancer...I'd be happy to discuss this with anyone at your corporate headquarters if there is any interest to discuss more in detail.

1  Thank BDerek24

Been to Ditka's? Share your experiences!