“Afternoon Treat”

Cafe Kiama & Scoops Ice Creamery
Ranked #6 of 24 Quick Bites in Kiama
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Description: Family run business, employing locals - selling ice cream, gelato, sorbet, HYPER HYPER COFFEE , Bondi Chai, milkshakes, thickshakes, supershakes, real fruit smoothies, iced coffee, iced chocolate, hot dogs, hot waffles, pancakes, banana bread & raisin toast. Gluten-free, vegan and dairy free options available. Plenty of outdoor seating and an upbeat vibe. Certified COVID-SAFE
Reviewed 9 June 2021

We went here for coffee and ice creams, the coffee’s where good and they have a good variety of ice cream flavours to choose from.

Date of visit: June 2021
2  Thank Aussie2406
Mel, Owner at Cafe Kiama & Scoops Ice Creamery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2021

Thank you - we appreciate you taking the time to write this review ☕️

Write a reviewReviews (36)

Reviewed 11 February 2021

great place, yummy ice-cream. Always seemed to be a line of people waiting to buy a treat. Fairly reasonable prices for kids ice-creams, which is great as I have 3! Trying to do the right thing re: Covid, however, some tourists were making it difficult for the owner and not socially distancing when resquested.

Date of visit: January 2021
Mel, Owner at Cafe Kiama & Scoops Ice Creamery, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2021

Wow - thanks so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review, we really appreciate it! It has been difficult during Covid but thankfully most customers have been wonderful about it. Take care and see you next time!

Reviewed 8 February 2021

After visiting the blowhole we went looking for ice-cream. The first place we came to was Scoops Ice Cream. There was a clear line at the entrance for customers to stand with one place marked. 2 lady customers were standing here so the 6 of us stood ~2m behind them toward the road curb as no other places seemed to be marked. I noticed a hand sanitizer at the entrance so I politely passed the 2 lady customers to access it. A tiny 0.1ml of sanitizer came out. I tried again but the same amount was dispensed barely enough to cover one finger. I figured it was broken. The ladies seemed put out that I passed them to access the dispenser. As I returned to near the curb the manger came out and asked us to stand on the line markings which we had not seen as they passed in front of the neighboring shop. We happily did so as the ladies piped up and said something about social distancing having a dig at me passing by them. The manager then engaged in some sanctimonious self-righteous talk about mask wearing. Given his broken hand sanitizer I thought this highly hypocritical so I mentioned it was not working. He assured me it was. So I tried again (passing by the ladies who din't seem to mind now) and again got 0.1ml. I said it wasn’t. He tried and got the same amount and arrogantly assured me it was. I work in health care. We are required to regularly do tutorials on hand sanitizing. I can confidently assure you this hand sanitizer was not in the amount required to sanitize any hands. It appeared for cost saving he was skimping on volume not allowing people to properly sanitize their hands. I wasn’t going to argue with him as his arrogance was astounding. As he continued in the self righteous judgement talk with his two ladies our party of 6 quietly left the queue and found another ice-cream place. During these difficult covid times we are all in this together so I am disgusted by people who use it to piously feel self righteous and disgrace others by their perceived superior behaviour. While a shop cannot help the behaviour of the 2 lady customers the sanctimonious attitude by this owner/manager was completely uncalled for and unnecessary particular given it appears he has no clue how to even provide essential hand sanitizing. BTW Kiama Ice-creamery was just a few doors up. Delicious ice-cream, great value servings, very friendly Covid safe staff with ample hand sanitizing dispenses all along the counter! See we can be kind and Covid safe at the same time.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank Suzanne S
Mel, Owner at Cafe Kiama & Scoops Ice Creamery, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2021

It's very sad that you were not only rude to our HEARING IMPAIRED Covid Marshall in person but that you felt the need to write this review with unfounded claims. Our Covid Marshall was protecting our customers - you did not follow his directions and offended other customers with your actions and in ignoring them. Our freestanding commercial hand-santising unit is serviced and filled by its supplier, Sanokil. It's laughable that your inability to sanitise your hands whilst attempting to jump the queue and the cordon whilst leaning across other customers who were patiently waiting in line is has anything to do with us. If you had have waited patiently for a few minutes you would have found at least 5 other bottles of hand sanitiser in store that you could have used if you were unable to sanitise at the commercial unit (due to user error). Please DO NOT return to our store - we take the safety of our customers, community, staff and families seriously and you are NOT WELCOME.

Reviewed 21 December 2020

Just a local strolling down the street. Believe i speak for the large majority of kiama when I say thank you so much for paying the young boy to stand out the front to keep people from milling around or entering. You weren't as busy as the other places but you 100% did the right thing in the light of the recent news in Sydney, protecting everyone > Christmas trade greed. Thank you once again. And for the tourists wondering. Yes their icecream is decent, coffees local. Good honest place.

Date of visit: December 2020
Mel, Owner at Cafe Kiama & Scoops Ice Creamery, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2021

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, whilst we have lost customers by asking them to follow our COVID Safety plan, we are pleased our efforts are generally appreciated and we have played our part in keeping Kiama, our staff and loved ones, COVID Safe. You should try our new gelato range some time - it is award winning and all natural - made the Italian way.

Reviewed 11 November 2020

Great spot, friendly staff, kids loved the variety of the ice creams, so did the adults, coffee was also right up there. We will be back.

Date of visit: October 2020