Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews kids club hotel restaurant balcony room breakfast was included short break pools spa court tennis char bella kitchenette
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 August 2018

We needed accommodation for one night in Gerringong. We chose the Mecure as there was a discount offer on and it was so close to central Gerringong. Staff were pleasant on check in and out. There were many things I liked about the room-it was spacious, had a balcony and the bathroom was modern. To top it all off there was a kitchenette in our room-complete with fridge/freezer , sink, microwave , kettle and a small selection of tea and coffee. I especially liked the small milk in the fridge! there was also a small amount of cutlery and crockery. Some things I did not like were some minor maintenance issues-some metal stripping had come loose where the carpet met tile and could have been a trip hazard. There was also a large rust / corrosion mark around the bath overflow. We were in a room that had capability for inter-connection with next door room and sound proofing was a bit poor. Overall we had a good stay-enjoyed views of pasture and distant beach. There were 2 pools-but we didn't use these as our stay was mid winter. I was happy to pay what we did for the night $149.00 but I would not have paid more to stay here. I would stay again.

Room tip: I likes the pasture views
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sweeta P, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your kind feedback and for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased to hear the positive point on our accommodations and the negatives will soon go away as we have started our refurbishment and our rooms will be upgraded very soon.

It is our hope to see you soon again and enjoy stay in our refreshed resort!
Thanking You.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Booked a stay in the Mercure to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and have regretted it ever since. When we checked in we were informed that the restaurant was unavailable due to two weddings taking place that evening. We were told that an email had gone out to guests staying on the Saturday letting them know the restaurant wouldn't be available - we never received it and no proof was offered that this had ever been done. Also told we should have checked the Facebook page (which I did when I got back to the room but surprise surprise there was no post on there either). And anyway, who would check the Facebook site ahead of a stay to make sure the facilities were available.... Got to the room and there was a room service menu in there so decided on in-room dining and then after go to the bar for a few drinks. Went back to reception to check this was available and told that in-room dining and the bar was unavailable due to the wedding but we could order drinks and they would be brought to us and that we could use any part of the hotel grounds that weren't being used for the weddings (which was a joke as it was a very cold day and extremely windy). I got a bit upset and we were offered a bottle of wine as compensation. We ended up having lunch out rather than go out in the evening. When we got back from lunch we decided to use our Members complimentary drink vouchers (which didn't show any restrictions on these drinks) and ordered spirits. Apparently that is not allowed but as a 'favour' we were allowed them - would have been good to know what the limitations were in the first place. Paid $319 for the room basically as there were no other facilities available. On check-out the lady was rude, had no patience and was miserable with my husband. The invoice was incorrectly processed as a credit card instead of a debit card and we were charged a fee for this. Have subsequently complained to the hotel and the incorrect charge was graciously refunded - big deal! Other than that just a ton of excuses but no attempt to 'win back' our custom. Customer service - nil. I would definitely not recommend this hotel. What was meant to be a special occasion turned into a disaster - not how I want to remember my first wedding anniversary.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heidihi46
Sweeta P, Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Dear Heidihi46,

At the Mercure Gerringong, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We did have our restaurant closed due to a private function on at the property. I apologies that you were not informed at the time of making your hotel reservation that our restaurant was closed for this private function. We do highly recommend booking for our restaurant as it can sometimes be closed for this reason, or alternatively it can book out also due to high demand. I know that this was disappointing for you however our staff went above and beyond to try and make this up to you during your stay with us. The Accor members drink vouchers do clearly state they are to be used for house wine, beer or soft drink only. The room rates are based on high demand, with Saturdays being peak periods. We did still have all our other facilities available to you including our 2 swimming pools, tennis court and day spa.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

We had a night stay at this hotel before so we were already familiar with it. The location is very good, being close to Berry, Kiama and the beaches.

The room we got had been refurbished and was very comfortable. There was a little kitchenette near the front door and the room was spacious enough for our needs. The pressure from the shower was good. The hotel was overall well maintained. However, a few times when we arrived back to the hotel in the afternoon around 3-4pm our rooms had not been made. It was quickly rectified by room service staff, but we had to wait outside until the rooms were cleaned. Our room was located close to the tennis courts at the other end and was not able to receive the free wifi internet access.

The Bella Char Restaurant & Wine Bar had good food and a nice dining atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and attentive to our needs.

We had a wonderful holiday and stay at this hotel resort.

Room tip: Higher floors meant you had to carry your luggage up the stairs.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Garryf_Sydney
Sweeta P, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Dear Garry F,

Thank you for the constructive feedback on our Resort and for your kind words. We are looking into the Wifi issue and soon this will be rectified as well. Apologies for all the inconvenience caused and we look forward to serve you our best services in future.

Thanking You.

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

My partner booked the Mercure as a surprise for my 30th birthday for 4 nights. When we arrived we discovered that he had booked for the month prior by accident.
While it was our error, I find it extremely disappointing that the Mercure did not attempt to contact us when we did not arrive. Had they called - we would have happily paid the first night, cancelled the rest and re-book for the correct dates.
Management had no interest in helping us because they had already recieved the money via online booking. My partner and I called the General Manager Sarah every second day for a month but the staff always said she was out/unavailable/would call us back.
We ended up staying at the Sebrl Kiama who were appauled by our treatment as it was one of their associated hotels.
Would not reccommend this place to anyone.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank claroonies
Sweeta P, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear Claroonies,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Gerringong Resort. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

As you had made your booking through a third party website, we were not provided with your contact details to advise of the no show booking. Our Operations Manager Sarah, did make several attempts to contact you but was unsuccessful in returning your calls, regardless as the issue was actually between you and the third party provider, and not with us as your payment was made to the third party and not direct to the hotel so we could not issue you a refund. We did however go out of our way to work with the third party booking provider to come up with a solution to your being charged for not staying 4 nights.

To avoid issues like this, we do recommend booking direct, or through an affiliated third party provider. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Management

Reviewed 29 July 2018

Stayed at the Mercure for a weekend getaway. Unfortunately our stay was a big disappointment. Restaurant looked nice and we were encouraged to book in early as it ‘books out quickly’. Booked in for 7pm which was the earliest we could do. Were seated by the waitress (in a near empty restaurant) who immediately proceeded to tell us all of the menu options *not* available. Prawns not available, chicken not available, gem fish and salmon not available. Hmm that rules out most of the menu. She stands there waiting for us to make our decision on the spot. Please give us a minute to choose. She leaves but not before telling us we need to make our decision quickly as the kitchen closes at 8pm. Seriously? The prices suggest this is a fine dining restaurant but the service suggests otherwise. After a minute or two another waiter comes to our table and asks us for our order. I’ll have the risotto thanks. Sorry we don’t have risotto. Okay I’m sorry but that’s it. We politely decline dinner and go down the road to a cafe where we had an amazing dinner, ironically having risotto and salmon - the two dishes we were hoping for.

As for the room. Beds were uncomfortable and the ‘king’ bed was two beds pushed together and slowly separating as the mattresses were arranged incorrectly so the zippers designed to keep them together were on the outside! Smoke alarm was alarmingly missing, looking like it had been ripped off the ceiling. Bathroom door looked like it had never been cleaned in its life. No lamps, light switch or power sockets near the bed and the alarm clock was across the room on a table with the incorrect time.

This hotel is definitely not 4 star and needs some serious attention by the Accor group. Only giving it 2 stars because the location was nice.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank BigAlTravella
Sweeta P, Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Dear BigAlTravella,,

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I am so sorry that our staff made you feel rushed, we most certainly want our guests to feel calm and relaxed throughout our property and really soak up the resort feel. Please also accept my apologies for the limited menu we had on offer that night. Unfortunately we had had an extremely busy night the night prior, and were unable to get more stock in on short notice. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. I am sorry you declined to dine with us, but am glad to hear you ended up with an enjoyable meal at a local establishment.