Lowest prices for your stay
US$167
View deal
Free cancellation until 21/10/09
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews kids club hotel restaurant balcony room breakfast was included short break pools spa court tennis char bella kitchenette
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 July 2018

Stayed at the Mercure for a weekend getaway. Unfortunately our stay was a big disappointment. Restaurant looked nice and we were encouraged to book in early as it ‘books out quickly’. Booked in for 7pm which was the earliest we could do. Were seated by the waitress (in a near empty restaurant) who immediately proceeded to tell us all of the menu options *not* available. Prawns not available, chicken not available, gem fish and salmon not available. Hmm that rules out most of the menu. She stands there waiting for us to make our decision on the spot. Please give us a minute to choose. She leaves but not before telling us we need to make our decision quickly as the kitchen closes at 8pm. Seriously? The prices suggest this is a fine dining restaurant but the service suggests otherwise. After a minute or two another waiter comes to our table and asks us for our order. I’ll have the risotto thanks. Sorry we don’t have risotto. Okay I’m sorry but that’s it. We politely decline dinner and go down the road to a cafe where we had an amazing dinner, ironically having risotto and salmon - the two dishes we were hoping for.

As for the room. Beds were uncomfortable and the ‘king’ bed was two beds pushed together and slowly separating as the mattresses were arranged incorrectly so the zippers designed to keep them together were on the outside! Smoke alarm was alarmingly missing, looking like it had been ripped off the ceiling. Bathroom door looked like it had never been cleaned in its life. No lamps, light switch or power sockets near the bed and the alarm clock was across the room on a table with the incorrect time.

This hotel is definitely not 4 star and needs some serious attention by the Accor group. Only giving it 2 stars because the location was nice.

3  Thank BigAlTravella
Sweeta P, Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Dear BigAlTravella,,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Gerringong Resort. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I am so sorry that our staff made you feel rushed, we most certainly want our guests to feel calm and relaxed throughout our property and really soak up the resort feel. Please also accept my apologies for the limited menu we had on offer that night. Unfortunately we had had an extremely busy night the night prior, and were unable to get more stock in on short notice. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. I am sorry you declined to dine with us, but am glad to hear you ended up with an enjoyable meal at a local establishment.

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

We booked our stay through bookings.com. Unfortunately something went wrong in the system and we were charged twice for the one room. We spoke to bookings.com who agreed not to change the hotel commission so they could refund the money. We still have not received a refund and by the sounds of it won’t. To top it off the room was dirty and falling apart also we couldn’t check in until 4pm due to “cleaning”. Really poor form don’t recommend.

Date of stay: April 2018
2  Thank Anthony B
Sweeta P, Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Dear Superdad250,

Thank you for taking the time to let us about your experience at the Mercure Gerringong Resort. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to again express my sincerest apologies.

Without knowing your booking details, if we had received two reservations from booking.com on a restricted, non cancellable rate then we will hold two reservations in good faith. We do try to be flexible when we can however if we are not provided enough time to resell the room then unfortunately we cannot offer free cancellation.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

the resort is lovely however the room was a little less loved and floor sticky upon entering. I asked for it to be cleaning and this happened at the regular time the next day sadly! I went to the bar to get the complimentary drinks and there no one present to serve me. Enquiring at the reception about this a phone call was placed to the bar....I heard the phone ringing in the bar still nobody there! It's a little sad as this resort looks wonderful and the grounds plus tennis court and pools are in great condition. Probably will not stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Les C
Sweeta P, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Dea Les C,

Thank you for providing us with constructive feedback and for giving us the opportunity to review our service standards and improve. I am so sorry we let you down and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Thanking You.

Reviewed 13 July 2018

Originally we had booked for a standard king room but when we saw it, it was at the side of the hotel with a window overlooking the fence and trees. A bit gloomy. We asked for an upgrade which was a bit of a juggle, the hotel just had a huge wedding which lasted two days and the hotel had been fully booked. We managed to get a room with a courtyard overlooking the pool and tennis court and much brighter. The top floors with the balconies were fully booked but this is definitely the best side of the hotel to book.

The room was comfortable, a good night sleep and adequately furnished. There was a pleasant courtyard to sit. Furnishings and fittings were a bit run down but was told that the hotel is being re furbished, a room at a time. The shower was good and thankgoodness a shelf to put your shampoos etc. not many places have this which I find enoying. The tv was good, lots of channels but had a problem with the wifi in the room. The only place it worked well was in the restaurant.

We dined in the first night there. Good food, good service. We had breakfast included but unless you are into the cereals etc, the hot food was so, so. Better value at the cafes up the road.

This place is probably great in the summer. The two swimming pools plus a spa was spotless and also a well kept tennis court. In looks like in the summer, you can eat outdoors which would be really nice. There is a Day Spa on the premises as well.

The rooms definitely need to be up graded, however, for a couple of days, it was a pleasant stay.

Room tip: Get rooms facing the pool and tennis court.

Dear Sarah,

We very much appreciate your constructive feedback and would like to thank you for your kind words on our hotel. Yes, we are soon having a cosmetic upgrade of our rooms and hopefully, upon your next visit, you will experience a new look of our rooms.

Please be advised we are also taking steps to rectify our Wifi issues as sometimes due to bad weather it plays up.
We hope to see you soon again in near future.

Thanking You.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Very disappointed. Shower/tub dirty on arrival full of black pubic hairs! Shower had no water pressure and hardly any hot water. Room had shabby carpet and chipped furnishings. TV reception poor. Room cold, would have been nice to arrive to the air conditioning being on if possible. Restaurant was shocking, I’ve made a separate review on this. Manager Maria apologised and offered to send me my scarf which I forgot at the restaurant, and whilst we are grateful for this, it doesn’t make up for the disappointment of our stay. We were made to pay everything upfront and now I understand why! Expect many have refused to pay. Sorry for the bad review but it’s the truth.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Q8231JXrebeccac

Dear Rebecca C,

Please be assured that you were not made to pay upfront, you were asked to provide a credit card for pre authorisation on check in which is a standard practise across Australian Hotels. Your final bill was not settled until checkout. You are only required to prepay, if you have booked a prepaid accommodation rate. I know that you experienced some issues at the Restaurant during your stay, however you were also given complimentary wine and dessert as a goodwill gesture, as well as complimentary postage for your lost property items of a scarf and a top.