“Peaceful, pleasant , relaxing”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Watery Fowls

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The stream running nearby
The local pub just a couple of minutes walk away
Golitha Falls - A five minute drive away
The market town of Liskeard, 2 miles away
The nearby village of Minions
Bodmin Moor, great for exploring
Rosecraddoc Woods, at the end of the drive!
Rame Head, on the south coast of Cornwall. Beautiful and less crowded than the north coast
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Inspire51...
“Mrs”
Reviewed 21 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015

Shabby without the chic. Tired, worn, and in places downright grim. Damaged/broken items, mould and mildew rife in certain areas (bathroom grouting and shower curtain were bad, but the oven glove in the kitchen has white fur on it), a lamp with no bulb, litter behind furniture in one of the bedrooms from a previous occupant, cobwebs... I could go on, but honestly it's nothing a good cleaner and decent caretaker couldn't take care of in a few hours. Truly a disappointment, even for the low-end budget market it is obviously aimed at. Such a shame as the footprint of the property is generous, it's in a fantastic spot and the agent was prompt and courteous in all interaction. If you do have the misfortune to visit our essential top tips are to pack a toilet roll (we were left less than a quarter roll), hand soap for the bathroom (you will want to wash your hands frequently), and a dish cloth (the ones left were frankly disgusting). A mould and mildew spray might also be beneficial. Oh, and if arriving in winter, be sure to request the night storage heaters and hot water are switched on 24 hours prior to your arrival (unless you want to spend your first evening on the sofas wrapped in duvets as we did). Intended to use as a base and 'down time' for our two children with special needs between visits to local family, we found we'd try and stay out as long as possible, returning as late as we could (ie. for their bedtimes). We left after 3 of the 7 nights booked. All in all, a spectacularly missed opportunity in a fantastic part of the beautiful Cornish countryside.

10 Jan 2016
Of course, we are very disappointed to receive such a bad review, particularly having been in contact with you before your arrival to alert you to some unforeseen difficulties which arose immediately prior to your visit and then, having communicated with you soon after your arrival, following which I felt we had done what we could to help. Some of the issues you've highlighted in your review were not mentioned to us at the time and it's disappointing that you chose to leave before bringing them to our attention and then telling everyone else about them here. I am pleased that you found me to be 'prompt and courteous in all interaction' and I would continued to have been so, as well as doing my best to put right what was wrong, had I been given the chance.
Following your visit I asked a friend to look over the bungalow as it was not possible for me to do so at the time and she was able to verify that some of your comments were valid. I therefore offer my sincere apologies that what we were offering fell below our normal standards on this occasion. You are quite correct in pointing out that these were simple things, easily put right. As I explained to you, there was some major tree surgery work on the large tree next to the bungalow which was originally planned for mid-November. Access to the bungalow was not possible during this work which was then delayed because of the weather. In the event, our cleaner only gained access to the property on the morning of your arrival, while clearance of logs was still going on. That said, I am not offering that as an excuse for things such as litter behind furniture or the state of the oven gloves and shower cutain and I accept that these were not perfect this time.
With regard to the heating, the night storage heater in the lounge was switched on, but those in the bedrooms were left off, simply because we were experiencing the warmest December on record and the night you arrived was in fact the warmest night of the month. The property has thick loft insulation as well as cavity wall insulation. There are portable electric radiators available for 'top-up' heating as required and these easily bring the lounge up to a warm temperature within a very short time in our experience. The immersion heater also heats a tank of water within an hour as well.
Spare light bulbs are kept in one of the kitchen drawers, so while I agree that a lamp should not be left without a bulb and I apologise that this was overlooked, again it was easily put right, except that you didn't mention it when you initially contacted me. The first I knew of it was when reading your review.
I am disappointed that you didn't mention in your review that having reported some chipped mugs (the damaged/broken items you refer to I assume) I had them replaced within 24 hours. It was interesting that your first contact after arrival by email told me that there were only two tea mugs but that your second email, just seven minutes later, explained that you had subsequently found the other mugs having looked in another cupboard. I am also disappointed that you didn't mention in your review, the special arrangement that I made for your WiFi access to ensure that all was well for your boys.
With regard to hand soap and dish cloths, it is not unusual for visitors to self-catering accommodation to provide their own. Indeed, we used to leave soap for visitors and it was not used by the vast majority.
All in all, I have to accept that certain things were not right here and once again, I apologise for that. But, I also feel that I did all I could, particularly given the difficult circumstances at the time, to put things right as soon as possible. I do get the impression that once you had got off to a bad start nothing was going to fully satisfy you and I certainly don't feel that we were given the opportunity to help you with things that you've mentioned here, but not to us at the time.
I hope that others reading this review will be able to balance your comments with the other, good reviews that we've had for this bungalow and for the service we normally provide. What was wrong here is easily rectified and will be before the start of the new season.
Pamela W
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“Peaceful, pleasant , relaxing”
Reviewed 6 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Fantastic location. Relaxing and quiet area. The bungalow was comfortable and spacious.
Value for money with easy access to lots of places in Cornwall thoroughly enjoyed our time in watery fowls and would like to return next year

How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
Travelling group: Extended Family
Claire P
Liskeard, United Kingdom
“Lovely, peaceful place to stay, and very close to Liskeard.”
Reviewed 3 January 2015 for a stay in December 2014

I booked this bungalow for my family (parents, sister, sister's boyfriend & nephew) to stay in over Christmas. The location is very peaceful and pretty. The stream is shallow but was running very quickly, so it was handy we could lock all the windows (my 3-year old nephew likes to explore!). The electric meter runs on £1 coins so it's useful to have plenty with you, especially if you stay in winter and need to use all the heaters. There are storage heaters in the bedrooms and lounge, plus 2 extra convector heaters. The bungalow was nice and warm, despite the cold weather. It was a really handy location for me, as I live in Liskeard so could easily drive to and from the bungalow every day. We also enjoyed a lovely dinner at the Crows Nest pub. Having the key in a safe outside is really handy as you can arrive late on your first day and leave early on your last, without needing to disturb anyone. I'd definitely recommend staying here as it's great value for money, and the owner was extremely organised and very helpful.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
15 Jan 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review Watery Fowls and I am delighted to hear that it suited your family very well. As a quick update, we are making further improvements to the property this year. First of all, we've had cavity wall and higher grade loft insulation fitted, so unless the weather turns really cold there should be less of a need to use the extra heaters from now on. Secondly, we will shorty be having the £1 electricity meter removed, so no need for the supply of pound coins either! Hope we can accommodate your family again in the future, particularly as they left the bungalow in such a clean and tidy way. Thank you.
Reviewed 11 December 2014 for a stay in November 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
12 Dec 2014
Many thanks for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the surroundings and wildlife and I am particularly pleased that we've achieved our goal of providing value for money. I know that you travelled a long way to Cornwall but hope that you will do so again in the future.
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Shower could be more modern/efficient
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Families with young children People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing