“Lovely afternoon tea”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I had invited my mother as a gift. She was delighted. When i arrived the Lady on reception was most helpful with my mother's impending arrival on a mobility scooter. There are lots of steps because its a character building, but there was easy access on the level too. The tea was very filling and most delicious, and a cheese free selection was provided as requested.
We were allowed to take our time and more hot water was provided graciously. We were there a full 2.5 hours by the time we had been around the gardens. Great value for money compared to some other venues.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Having read the recent reviews I was a little worried that I had made the right choice for hubby’s birthday meal.

Having eaten a number of times at Whatley Manor at what was before and what now is Grays Brasserie we have never been disappointed, however, this was our first time at the dining room.

On arrival we were early so we were invited to take drinks in the garden. Beautiful gardens made for a wonderful early evening setting.
As a non drinker myself I chose from the mocktail menu and enjoyed the tea time drink while I buy went for the Cirencester Gin with Tonic.

On going through to restaurant we were seated by the window overlooking the vegetable garden which we spent a huge amount of time admiring.

As the team presented us with each of the 12 course tasting menu, each course was fully explained with great expertise and fun. Hubby participated in the wine flight so also enjoyed the accompanying wine options which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Overall the food was fabulous. Our favourites included the Parmesan crackers and oyster starter, the chorizo risotto, lobster custard and all of the desserts. Hubby was also a huge fan of the sourdough bread course. We also opted for the cheese plate which we shared, which was amazing. We will absolutely be looking to recreate that dish at home! My favourite dessert was the one with the tapioca custard I could have eaten several of those!

All in all, everything was superb. The team were hugely knowledgable and very attentive. Thank you to everyone who took care of us, you made our evening most enjoyable and it was lovely to meet the lady who made my favourite dessert for the night when she delivered the sweet treat options.

We had a great night and most importantly my husband loved it.

2  Thank sargent0
Reviewed 25 May 2018

The food is absolutely outstanding, we visited the dining room for the 12 course taster menu and honestly this was one of the best meal I have ever had. Such a unique and wonderful experience, all food is so beautifully and loving prepared, each with its own style and presentation to give you a new experience with each course. The catering staff extremely attentive and always on hand should you need anything extra. The sommelier was fantastic, extremely passionate about his job and the wines he recommends, there really is something for everyone. Absolutely wonderful and will be returning.

1  Thank 932kraigd
Whatley_Manor, General Manager at The Dining Room at Whatley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

We were so pleased to receive your review and thank you for all your appreciation of the loving care that goes into Chef's Menu. Also thank you for mentioning our Sommelier, Daniel. Hi passion for his subject shines through every day. Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed 19 May 2018

Been here many times. Expensive, but invariable very good. This time was for Afternoon Tea, themed for the Royal Wedding. Probably a mistake as the Manor tried to set this as a street party, but of course given the clientele and the fact that no-one knew each other, it was just afternoon tea at a long table. Full marks though to the Hotel for effort. Sadly however, though the food was up to the usual high standard, it was let down by a number off things: 1. The tea was mixed up as the lady who delivered Earl Grey and Breakfast Tea got the pots mixed up and served them to the wrong persons. 2. A few of the delicious sandwiches were a little dry on the outside (standing for a while?). Otherwise OK.

Whatley_Manor, General Manager at The Dining Room at Whatley Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback and it is good to be in touch directly. We do apologise that the service was not as on the mark as it should be. We will be sure to make goof use of your feedback, Yours sincerely Sue W

Reviewed 14 May 2018

Remember the name Niall Keating as you will be hearing about this young man for many years.
Quite exceptional creativity and fabulous delicious food
I wish we lived closer