“Not a great experience ”
Review of El Pescador

El Pescador
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

Had dinner at El Pescador on a Friday night, we were the only ones in the restaurant (which should have been the first warning sign). Ordered shrimp cocktail for appetiser and it was horrible. Unbelievably, given the restaurant was next to the ocean, the shrimp were frozen, thawed and served in a foul watery cocktail sauce.
I ordered the lobster thermidor for the main (initially going to get the grilled lobster, but the waiter talked me into the thermidor) which was a regrettable decision. I couldn't tell if the lobster was fresh or not as the creamy sauce poured over it tasted like off eggs drowned in brandy.
I only took two bites of each dish and left it until the waiter took it away, he asked if it wasn't good and I did say the food wasn't great. Then the owner arrived with a piece of raw lobster explaining their food is fresh. I explained to her, as per above, and she admitted that the prawns were not fresh but the lobster was. The owner came back with ceviche for me to try (as proof that their seafood is fresh) but again I found the thawed out frozen prawns in amongst the fish pieces.
Ultimately I guess I got unlucky with my dinner choices but it's just a real shame they tried to serve old, frozen prawns not once but twice to me.
I'm sure their seafood is fresh most of the time but I would recommend asking first before ordering any seafood and just stay away from their lobster thermidor- it simply ruins the lobster.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

We ordered the seafood platter for the 2 of us.Enough for 3 and delicious...about $50 with 2 glasses of wine

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

Our family of four ordered four different dishes. Whole fried fish, filet of fish with vegetables, octopus, and grilled lobster. We also ordered calamari as an appetizer. Everything was delicious! And the portions were huge! The meals all came served with salad and rice too. We ordered way too much food but we had eaten at other restaurants nearby (Iguana) and paid double for a super small portion that wasn't very good. For example, the octopus was the whole octopus! It you want a nice dinner of local seafood then this is your place. Service was excellent and good came out so fast! Our waiter brought everything we wanted and more. The sauce that came with the fish filet with vegetables was over the top good. It had chile, vinegar, carrot, garlic, and I'm not sure what else but I wanted to buy a jar of it.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 3 February 2017

A bit pricey but the food is excellent! Lots of seafood options to please everyone. Coldest beers in SJDL!

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

Came to town for lunch off a cruise ship. The food is good and the portions very generous. I got the Pulpo (octopus) in red sauce and my husband had the skirt steak with Chimichura sauce. It comes with a small green salad, rice, and fries, All for around $10.00. Neither one of us could finish it. I saw a whole grilled fish at the next table and it looked excellent too. Local beer Tona is 1.50. It is a bit of a longer walk from pier, but worth it and a pleasant walk.

Date of visit: December 2016