Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 May 2018

Spent the evening at the restaurant with a small group of friends recently & we liked the vibe. The view sets up a beautiful setting for dinner/drinks. The menu is pricey however you're paying for the nice quality of the food and cocktails. We had an assortment of the meal options and were pleased with all! The wait is neither a quick turnaround or too long - it's the type of spot you go to relax, have a drink & your plates will come out in due course.
What we weren't pleased with however was how the bill was handled. When we received the bill and gave our cards, Nicole (who attended to us), went "sheepishly": this is bit awkward to say but heads up the tip is not included. We asked the suggested tip and she said "well that's up to you but typically 15% - 20%" (now...let the suggestion that 20% is typical sink in, folks). First red flag. Well, should be, ha!
We discussed amongst ourselves and decided we'd give what we thought was a generous & reasonable 15%. Two of us each indicated - please add 15% please! (not 1, but 2ppl)
Well. She comes back with a pen, a bill with a charge of + 20%, and a lovely smile.
We signed. Quite aware of the discrepant action but unwilling to make an issue of it. You know how weird this scenario can get ESP when you're in a group...(ummm... is that my bold New Yorker persona rapidly creeping away at that very crucial moment!)
Which is what people who do this are banking on. Or, that you are too drunk to notice. It's dishonest & a real shame.
So. A very disappointing way to end what was otherwise a lovely evening filled with laughs and that 'joie de vivir!' that Nicaragua inspires. I don't recommend that you not check this spot out, but just be mindful when it's time to take out your wallet. Also, I did not experience any of this sneaky business at the other eating establishments I frequented in Nicaragua, so not to worry about this type of problem in general, the Nicas are great!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank sim0negay
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Set on the promontory to the south of the main surf beach in the San Juan Del Sur area, Playa Maderas, this converted luxury family home is a superb place to stay and even show up just to eat and pick up a yoga session. It's adults only with two pools and incredible views over the Pacific, ideal for romantic couples or those wishing to escape the yahoos of San Juan Del Sur 13km to the south or the crowds on the surf break below. The staff is an eclectic mix of Nicaraguans and Americans from North and South (Canada to Argentina), and suitably sophisticated for the location. Great drinks, great food and only six rooms so make sure you book well in advance but not when I want to come back with my girlfriend!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank guerrerot
Reviewed 21 March 2018

I made a reservation at this hotel for 2 nights, and less than 24 hours later, my flight from NYC to Nicaragua was cancelled due to the winter storm blizzard that is currently pounding the city. Thus I had no way of reaching the hotel since I am stranded in NYC. The hotel did not show any understanding of the situation and has decided to charge me half of my stay for something entirely out of our control (something that neither of the other hotels I'd booked for my stay did). I had planned to try to stay here when I was able to rebook the flights for a later date, but now I will certainly not be doing so. There are plenty of better businesses out there.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank VanessaTheNomad
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Arte-Sano is a beautiful hotel in an incredible location. The staff was very hospitable and kind - they even let us check in early since we arrived much earlier than our check-in time. The space is beautiful: large and clean rooms, two infinity-like pools, large common spaces. The food and drinks are delicious but a bit expensive (breakfast is not included in the price). Overall, we had an amazing time. One thing to note is that the drive there is over an unpaved road (which I'm assuming will eventually be paved). The walk down to the beach is closer to a hike, since most of it is over a rocky path. A hotel is opening up next door, however, and they will most likely improve the path down. All of this being said, we would absolutely stay there again!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2018

We really enjoyed our stay here - it's romantic and feels exclusive.....but sometimes too exclusive. We almost got a vibe that we were not cool enough to be there, which was entertaining to us. The food was pricey, but every dish we had was delicious. We wish they would have included breakfast and coffee in the price of the room (and wish they had coffee available earlier than 7:30am). The views were amazing but it's a dusty, steep walk to get back up to Arte-Sano after walking down the hill to the beach. We love all of the little decor details and the art work everywhere. Note that no kiddos allowed here under 18!

Room tip: We had room 2 and loved it as there was a cool mural in the room, but the balcony / outside space was not very private.
Date of stay: February 2018