“Quick lunch stop”

Grotto Pizza
Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Edwardsville
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I stopped here after prom dress shopping. We ordered Bruschetta, wings and pizza. The bruschetta was good the bread was fresh and crispy and drizzled with olive oil. The tomato topping was served separately and was way too oniony. The wings were in their sweet chili sauce. The sauce was delicious, but the wings were not cooked enough. The skin was fatty and the chicken was rubbery. The pizza redeemed the whole meal. Seriously the BEST pizza I’ve had in a long time. The dough was super thin and both crispy and chewy. The sauce was perfectly seasoned and not too sweet and the cheese was cooked well done and golden. I wish I lived closer just for the pizza.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Went here because my friend said she had long ago enjoyed their pizza. First: how refreshing, the Waitress introduced herself & knew how to start the meal. Next she suggested a new appetizer: eggplant (fries?): WOW, that's a winner... very lightly breaded, & not overdone, brought out the nice eggplant flavor. We gave the waitress that feedback. 2ndly we ordered a stuffed pizza. We never had such with the cheese on the outside of the crust. I think it spoiled that experience. Was this a mistake? If that's the regular manner it's made, I'll pass; it doesn't work for me. 3rd: We also ordered Linguini a la Aglio with Broccoli & Chicken: for an Italian eatery, this should be a shining example of good Italian flavors. It was NOT. The dish suffered from being the most plain/ bland/ un-tasteful dish we ever experienced. Italian, & we could not find any garlic in this dish. I think a non-Italian eatery could have done better. It lacked...everything. No pepper as menu said; no oregano; no Italian spices. 4th: on advising the waitress that it was such a nothing dish; VERY DISSATISFIED, she did nothing; nor did the cashier, when she asked, "How was everything?" Why ask, if you have no care nor authority to do anything about it? No care to invite the Manager over; no offer of a coupon on our next visit; no, "sorry"... nothing. Oh well, perhaps enough diners don't know how Italian food should taste, so they don't care. 5th: the pleasant surprise was the Gelato!! Haven't seen Gelato in a long time. Very flavorful; very well presented. I do think the temperature is slightly too cold, as the girls had a hard time scooping it out. Plaudits to the Staff, who willingly allowed multiple samples before we purchased. Our feelings were that we could stop back, JUST for the Eggplant appetizer; but, enlarge it & have it over Spaghetti, & ask them to add real garlic. Then, we'll top it off w/ Gelato. This way, we'd have no negatives.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 14 June 2017

21.00 for a large plain and a beer isn't going to get me back avg food high price I don't see what the big draw is there

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 24 April 2017

Always a treat. Grotto Pizza has the best pizza by far. Served by a friendly and happy waitress. Restaurant is very clean and comfortable. Very reasonably priced. I would highly recommend this pizza place.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

After 15 minutes, no one even took our drink order when only the bar and maybe 3 other tables had patrons. When we got up to leave, four waitresses were leaning on the counter talking to each other. I've been in the service industry. There is literally no excuse for that. We definitely didn't stay to eat.

Date of visit: November 2016