“Easter Dinner 2018”

The Barn Restaurant
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Great Entrees... Salmon and ham dinners were our selections. Veggies need to be hotter. Server Jen was awesome as usual! Need to have Cinnamon Raisin Sticky Buns available in the bakery shop.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We celebrated our anniversary with a lovely dinner at the Barn. The server, Jen, was friendly and knows about the menu items. The service in bringing food out was very slow; I’m not sure if that was the server or the kitchen.
The food was outstanding- we got the chicken (#1 entree) and the short ribs. Both were done well with great flavor and plenty portion size. Entrees are imaginative and cover a broad range of choices, sure to please any palate.
The location is beautiful and the new owners did a nice job of renovating to make the atmosphere more “current”.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The Barn is the flagship restaurant of the lovely and scenic Allenberry Resort and focuses on a seasonal menu of farm-to-table ingredients. Let me begin by saying that when a restaurant is located on a resort, expectations are understandably high. Unfortunately, my dinner with two close friends on 2/23/2018 did not live up to expectations. We started off with some adventurous appetizers to share – the Venison Sliders and the Parmesan Truffle Fries. The sliders were good and provided an interesting contrast in flavors when combined with the side of chayote squash slaw. The fries however missed the mark – there was no real noticeable truffle flavor which may have been hidden by overcooking, the parmesan, or the lemon peppercorn aioli. Entrees were similarly inconsistent in experience. While the Chicken Saltimbocca was so good my friend boxed the leftovers to enjoy at home, the Pan Seared Scallops and Petit Filet were disappointing. The scallops were seemingly cooked properly but topped with a burnt kale leaf and swimming in a wet mash of mushroom and artichoke risotto that robbed their delicate flavor. The filet was similar in that it was cooked as requested, perhaps with a sous vide, but lacked the slight outer crisp texture expected of a grilled filet. The way it was sandwiched between creamy lobster medallions and parmesan mashed potatoes again resulted in a rather bland flavor and mushy texture. On the other hand, our cocktails were amazing: An Upper Manhattan Martini with Luxardo cherries that smoothed the flavor to perfection and two Espresso Martini’s that had the perfect balance of crispness and espresso flavor enhanced with two expresso beans as a garnish. Dessert was a lovely layered lemon tart. Service here was good. Overall at $30 - $40 per dinner entrée, The Barn will need to improve for longevity. I’m being knowingly tough on their team because first they are located on a resort selling enchantment and a unique experience, and second, as a Central PA local I truly want them to succeed – The Barn could become a landmark gem if they work hard to consistently meet expectations.

1  Thank William A
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Allenberry was THE place to go when I was a student at nearby Dickinson College half a century ago. It went seriously downhill in recent years but has been restored, revived and given new life. The Barn Restaurant is a big part of that.

I was there for a dinner earlier this week and was delighted. The rosemary rolls were hot and delicious. The rest of the meal was just as good. I had the short rib, which was extremely well prepared and complemented by the potatoes and other accompaniments. My wife had the scallops, which were equally good, together with an excellent risotto and fried kale. Other at the table were just as pleased with the tuna as well as the salads and other appetizers.

Can't wait for my next trip to Central PA so I can go back.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

Had visited before under old management, food was definitely not worth a trip. Completely different now. Our server Jen was funny and personable. Kitchen was slow getting our food out, but hot and fresh when it arrived. They had a large group preparing to eat, maybe that's why it took so long. We had:

Parmesan truffle fries - a must have!
Beef and Bison Meatloaf - a tad dry, I think it's the Bison. But the gravy rescued it.
Fried Chicken Saltimbocca - it looked great; not sure how it tasted, as my wife wouldn't let me have any!
Pan-seared Yellowfin tuna - reported as excellent.
Wine: A great Australian red blend; Strapper from Yalumba - Monday is half price nite; we got this for $25!