Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Review Highlights
Remarkable site

While this attraction was not exactly what we expected, we were glad we made the time to stop and... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Trav_LN_now
Crystal Lake, Illinois
A Step Back in Maritime History

I agree with other reviewers. Sure, technically it is just a hunk of metal in the sand. But, it's... read more

Reviewed 15 November 2020
Mary A

All reviews low tide fort stevens state park beautiful beach sand dollars oregon coast parking lot sand dunes remnants masts hunk masted ocean camera shore
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 November 2017

Old shipwreck with aging steel hull skeleton to view. You can get up to the structure at low tide but during high tide expect water... lots of water.

You can do a websearch on the Peter Iredale.

The wreck is located in Fort Stevens State Park. They wish you to pay for park access.

Parking is pretty close to the wreck and you will still need a short walk on the sand to get there.

It was fun to see but since high tide I didn't want to get myself or my camera wet.

The beach is there for picnics or just a nice stroll. If you are in the area it may be worth your while.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank travel_d2026
Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

The wreck of the Peter Iredale was interesting because very rarely can you walk up to a ship wreck. This one is over 100 years old so much of the ship has rotted away, but you can still see the forward part of the hull still sitting on and in the sand of the beach. Definitely worth a look for 10-15 minutes. That's plenty.

1  Thank JamesA546
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed seeing the wreck of the Peter Iredale. Nice area. We were there just as the tide begin to come in. What I was disappointed in, was the fact that young children were allowed to climb all of the remnants. I would think that would be dangerous.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

We stopped at Fort Stevens Park as our final destination on a drive up the coast. I had read about the shipwreck there and wanted to see it, among other things, before leaving Oregon.

The parking lot was full when we arrived, but after circling twice, a spot opened and we were able to park. The walk from the parking lot to the beach is short, and to the shipwreck itself not much farther.

There were plenty of beachgoers around, flying kites, walking the beach, or reclining on the sand. A handful were climbing around on the remains of the ship's bow. We waited patiently for them to leave, and then snapped a few photos of the wreck sans people.

The bow is about all that remains above the sand. Some rings where the masts were once stepped are visible a few yards abaft the remains of the bow, and a couple of beams which were probably framing members mark the probably location of the ship's stern. Little else remains.

Time and tides will eventually consume all that remains of her. Until then, it is worth one's time to pay a visit to the rusting remains there on the sand.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

We enjoyed very much walking on the beach and being able to walk to the wreck of the ship .We took amazing pictures from all sides of the remains of the sheep.My husband would love to get a book of the history of this voyage when the ship washed up on the beach.