“Wow Im not sure what to do with this place. Hmmmm”

El Guajillo Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 182 Restaurants in Tigard
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 28 June 2018

They have just remodeled the interior. VERY nice woodwork and logos on the tables. Impressive. Big menu and it looks good but its too expensive, I think. Not for my wallet in general but for a non-resort area type Mexican restaurant or with local great competition.

Here are my problems. I ordered ahead. The person didn't understand English or just didn't understand. I wanted a special drink concocted for my daughter as a surprise and she assured me it would be done. She took my name. When we arrived there was never even a woman around and I ordered two margaritas. I couldn't tell the waiter in front of my guest what I wanted, it would have ruined the surprise. So I got up pretended to be looking at all their other rooms and went to the bar. Their bar may be nice in the future but is now being used as storage--I assume they are still in remodel mode. The waiter was back in a bunch of stuff with a blender. He didn't communicate well with English either. I tried to ex[lain what I wanted and that the woman on the phone had said would be no problem. He said it couldn't be done. I wandered back to the table. The drinks were very big---no problem there! But, I couldn't even taste the tequila. Never even felt a buzz and they were supposed to have two shots. We ordered just simple rice, beans and a tamale with pork. It was small and too expensive. So I wasn't happy at all but maybe its unfair and I should get a full meal before rating. So I give ONE star for communication. Don't know how to rate the drinks---they were very big but that's mostly ICE anyway and I felt slighted on the alcohol (probably for profit) Jury is out on the food. Not sure I will go back to try but can get GREAT Mexican food all over Portland for less money.

1  Thank marv v

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

I should have known this was going to be bad. The place was empty I asked for queso and they didn’t have it. Food tasted as if it all was from canned. Service was slow. This was a big disappointment.

1  Thank brownard
Reviewed 1 November 2017

The food was great. Between the Molcajete and the chicken/bacon with avocado dish, we were really enjoying the food there. The margarita with the beer upside down is a nice touch while expensive. The location and the inside seating options were interesting. They haven't done a great job utilizing the space well and we were 5 seating at a table of 8. Hard to complain. We had room. But it seems weird that they can't get a better layout all throughout to get more people in. Maybe they don't get that packed. Anyway, we recommend this restaurant for the quality of their food. We will return.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Went there with two friends who have been here before. This was our first time at El Guajillo. My wife and I both had the chicken fajitas and enjoyed them immensely. The food and drinks are great and the service is outstanding. We definitely will be going back in the future. Many more selections on the menu that I would love to try.

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

From reception to dessert - authentic and really good. We had a special request and our host was glad to accomodate it.
Besides the good food we were not rushed out - sitting a little while after dinner made this a very pleasant experience.