4 people are viewing this hotel
US$180
PricelineUS$219
TravelocityUS$215
CheapTicketsUS$215
All reviews breakfast bag rooftop bar shoebox room cozy room cool hip walkable location pine street fun stay homeless people body wash beautiful boutique hotel mid century ice storm blue star lobby restaurant rooms are small awesome hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 September 2021

I recently stayed at the Hoxton for 4 nights. Although it was during Covid, the staff and service couldn't have been better. Brooke especially went out of her way to always be friendly and helpful. She helped me change rooms mid-stay, and really made my stay as great as possible.

Date of stay: August 2021
Delphina Kopacki-Pothier, Guest Services / Front Office at The Hoxton Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2021

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome feedback! I'm happy you got to spend a few days with us and that our team was able to make your stay great. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Brooke - she'll be thrilled to hear that she made such an impression! I hope we can welcome you back soon. Cheers!

Reviewed 9 September 2021

Such a scary area. We have traveled plenty & never seen any 3rd world country this bad! Homeless urinating all over a doorway across from the hotel, yelling at us, asking for alcohol. The street was loud all night, got no sleep.

Parking in an open parking lot surrounded by sidewalks lined in tents of homeless was scary.

The staff was lukewarm and more concerned with having us fill out the Covid form. We so wanted to ask if we were exposed to Covid could we get our money back and leave?

The room didn’t seem overly clean. I could see water rings on the counter that if properly cleaned would wipe up easily. It’s the first hotel where we pulled the blankets and sheets all the way down to make sure the sheets were actually clean.

It’s really a shame because the property has potential. If I owned the place, I would sell and move elsewhere (anywhere would be better). There can never be pride and success in being in the hospitality industry at this location even if housekeeping and staffing improved.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello, Dave and Bonnie.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for sharing this feedback. It is disappointing to hear that your stay was so unenjoyable and that you encountered so many issues during your stay. As such, I would like to address some of the concerns you mentioned.

It is true that the Portland area in general has seen a significant growth of its houseless population. The pandemic has weighed heavily on those who were already living in poverty or close to it, and it is reflected in the number of folks who are unfortunately now relegated to living on the streets. In general, we do not find reason to worry about most of these people, as the majority tend to keep to themselves. Our hearts go out to those that are in need of mental health care, and to do our part we do partner with two local non-profits with the goal of aiding in making life better for the houseless and in cleaning up the surrounding area. I apologize if you felt unsafe at any time.

I'm sorry to hear that our team did not feel friendly and welcoming - this is not our standard of service, and I will be sure to touch base regarding your feedback. Though the Covid waiver is very important for contact-tracing and for the general health and safety concerns of our guests and staff alike, it should not be the focus of your check-in experience.

As for the room, it is disheartening to see that it was not as clean as it should have been. I have already logged your concerns with our housekeeping team and they will not be taken lightly. Cleanliness is extremely important to us and I am sorry that this was not reflected in the condition of your room.

Overall, it is discouraging that you had such a poor experience. This is not what we strive to offer, and it's clear we missed the mark this time. The area will only continue to grow and improve with time, so we will continue to do our part to make the neighborhood a lively, enjoyable place to be. I hope that in the future you will be able to visit us or another Hoxton property and enjoy your time with us. If you do choose to visit again, please don't hesitate to reach out to the front desk directly so that we can take care of you on a more personal level. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback. It is through these types of conversations that we are able to implement changes that improve the guest experience.

Best,
Delphina KP
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 9 September 2021

I really loved my time at the Hoxton in Portland. The hotel itself is amazing. Loved the aesthetic and amenities. The front desk staff gave great recommendations on what to do in the city. The only drawback was the location. It’s in downtown Portland which is very convenient but the homelessness is pretty pervasive in the surrounding area.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback! I am so glad to see that you had a great stay and enjoyed the property. We love to give recommendations, so it's always nice to hear that they were a home-run. As for the area, Portland has unfortunately seen a great uptick in houselessness since the beginning of the pandemic, and as such it has grown significantly across the city. We partner with two local non-profits to aid in assisting our houseless neighbors and cleaning up the surrounding area. I hope that we can welcome you back again sometime soon! Cheers.

Reviewed 8 September 2021

Before I get too critical about anything, I do want to shout out the exceptionally friendly and professional staff at the Hoxton. Coffee shop, front desk, restaurant upstairs - all consistently awesome!

Now, the Hotel itself... some more things to like, include really tasteful decor, comfy pillows, nice views from the room, an incredible shower head, a sweet rooftop restaurant.

What's not so great is a slightly longer list. Starting with the location. While downtown Portland is nothing like Fox News would have you believe, the location of the Hoxton on the edge of Chinatown is sketchy. Most shops are closed, except for a few other hip coffee bars and hotels. Most people on the streets are sleeping on the streets or in parked cars. A lot of them need help. Some of them are violent and threatening. Not a location for single travelers or faint hearted. That said, only 10-15 mins to get to some lovely parts of the city on foot.

In the room, everything looked great on first glance, but nothing worked great. A classic example of form over function. No power at the desk. The room is small, even the King room, with very little room for a couple to "hang" other than on the bed. Nowhere to hang a towel so it can dry. No iron or ironing board. A shower curtain with some black stains on it. No milk or cream with the coffee. The chromecast attached to the TV did not work (no connection). Nowhere to plug in the kettle. Nowhere to hang a long-ish dress. No bag stand. Even the radio in the room required an AUX cord, not supplied, no bluetooth. And another pet peeve: the bed sheet was smaller than the duvet meaning avoiding contact with it was impossible.

Finally, the room was loud. It's located on the boy-racer street circuit. Screams from down below and the occasional very loud bang were consistent across the duration of our stay. Even louder than this was the corridor noise. I love a solid door, but not when one is thudding closed every few mins, early in the morning. This is a major issue that should be looked at.

So this is a case of look but don't touch. A great effort with good intentions but a fairly significant C on the guest experience side. Plenty of other options in the city to explore next time!

1  Thank tropicalkiwi
Elli Blakeman, Guest Services / Front Office at The Hoxton Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2021

Hi there,
I'd like to start by thanking you for this thorough feedback. It is always so great to hear from guests and you've given us the opportunity to learn and grow. I am sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than perfect and would like to take a moment to address some of your concerns.
I appreciate your observations about our neighborhood. While it's not as downtrodden as the media would often like to portray, I can understand that you may have felt somewhat uncomfortable. While our houseless neighbors are often camped on the street or in cars nearby, they are by and large non threatening and like you said, we're a stone's throw from the Pearl District where you can find many wonderful restaurants, breweries and fun shopping!
I am very sorry to hear that your room's amenities were not in proper working condition. I will be sure to have our maintenance team be extra vigilant when inspecting each room's functionality.
I would like to mention, however, that we do provide irons, ironing boards, milk or cream, luggage racks and clothing racks upon request. Because our rooms are more efficiently sized, we opt to have these items in storage rather than filling up space in your room, but we are always happy to provide them when needed.
I will absolutely have our maintenance team take a look at how harshly the doors in our corridors are closing. I am so sorry to hear the noise disturbed your sleep.
Finally, I am overjoyed to hear your kind words about our team. We strive to offer exceptional service and it's such a delight to hear of consistency across the board in this regard.
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing this great, honest feedback. We will be making improvements in light of your experience and hope to welcome you back in the future.
Best,
Elli Blakeman
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 5 September 2021

This was my first time in Portland and I am SO glad I stayed here. I stayed in the shoebox room which was perfect for me! The price was reasonable. It was very clean and cozy. I wanted to explore the city as much as I could and this hotel was definitely the perfect location to do that. Please note that the hotel is located in downtown Portland & you should exercise caution and proper judgement, especially at night. This advice stands for all major cities. With that being said, you can get to wherever you want to go from this hotel. Washington Park, the Chinese garden, Pearle District...they're all a short walk, bus or Uber ride away. Nothing is too far out of the way.

Aside from how beautiful the hotel's aesthetics are, the customer service was also exceptional. The front desk staff are committed to helping you with whatever you need. There's a beautiful lobby that served as a communal space where you could eat, work, etc. Special shout out to Sarah, Josey and Brooke for being absolutely amazing and for helping me with whatever I needed at the hotel and in regards to navigating Portland. Everyone I encountered at the front desk was amazing. The Hoxton also has an exceptional security team who are willing to answer your questions and assist you, as needed! While I didn't try the rooftop restaurant, Tope, I did get coffee at Lovely Rita. I loved it.

Overall, I had an amazing experience and I plan to stay here again when I'm back in Portland. Do your research and talk to staff about what room might best fit your need and what kind of experience you want in Portland!

Date of stay: September 2021
Elli Blakeman, Guest Services / Front Office at The Hoxton Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2021

Hey Sarah,
Thanks so much for hanging out with us and taking a moment to share this incredible feedback.
It brings me joy to hear that you had such an awesome time exploring the city, enjoying the coffee from Lovely Rita and interacting with our team. We truly are committed to our guests and ensuring they have the very best possible experience.
I'm excited to pass along this review to the rest of the team! Thank you for your kind words.
We hope to see you again soon,
Elli Blakeman