“Food and Service Always Outstanding”
Review of Kum Yon's

Kum Yon's
Ranked #31 of 79 Restaurants in Coos Bay
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2017

My favorite Chinese restaurant when I visit Coos Bay. Lovely garden view, great food wonderful service.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

It is very charming inside and the service is great but, the food is just ok. I had Chicken Chow Mein which consisted mostly of chopped cabbage. The fried rice wasn't anything special. I would not go there again as I know that there are other Chinese restaurants that have food more to my liking.

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

This place is awesome. I travel all over the state and this is one of the best Chinese restaurants I have tried. Got Mongolian beef, rice and crab puffs. It rocked!

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

It's been awhile since I've dined here and in years past the restaurant was closed a day or two a week. Now they're open all week and the reviews from others on a FB group I belong to have been very good, so I decided to dine for lunch on my own yesterday. I selected the Bento Box which includes soup or salad (I had sweet and sour soup) several pieces of tempura vegetables (mushroom, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato, zucchini), tempura shrimp, California roll, teriyaki chicken and two dumplings. It was more food than I could eat in one sitting and really good. And the restaurant is still very lovely inside and out. Today I went back to get takeout for my family and I had the pleasure of meeting the owner. Our entire meal was delicious. Bulgoki, fried rice, tempura shrimp for my husband, and my son and I shared broccoli chicken, steamed rice and Mar far chicken. The sesame balls are an interesting Chinese pastry new to their menu...I think I could get hooked on them. We'll be back, for sure.

1  Thank trvlluvnmom
Reviewed 20 February 2017

After 44 years of the practice of International Law, during which I made many trips to Greater Asia and specifically to Hong Kong, to Taiwan, and to the People's Republic of China ... as well as being familiar with many excellent and varied Chinese restaurants in the cities of New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco ... I had strong hopes for the situation here on
the South West Oregon Coast. And, living now in Coos Bay,
for Kum Yon's restaurant in particular.

I reviewed the restaurant after two visits in October of 2016, and noted at that time that while the décor was attractive to the point of near elegance, given the outdoor garden on its South side and the small waterfall and koi pond tucked within it, the food was very ... very ... disappointing. Mediocre at best.

But, hope springs eternal ... and anyone or anything can have a bad day ... and so I recently went back, this time to order for take away a full and complete meal.

In addition to a large container of hot and sour soup, I specifically ordered exactly the elegant-appearing combination platter which is shown in the large color picture on the main
"Tripadvisor" page for this restaurant.

A complete disaster, by any ... any ... standards, whether American Chinese, Generic Ethnic Chinese, or accurately
Regional Chinese.

The hot and sour soup tasted strongly of vinegar. Everything else was either repellingly mushy in texture, gummy, soggy, overcooked and tough, or simply an insult. Scraped clean, and thoroughly bitten into and chewed, the small pieces of red-cooked barbecued pork could just be gotten down, and even then had little or no flavor.

I did not even open the fortune cookie ... as the verdict was in,
even as the dinner hit the garbage pail.

One reviewer related her bringing a visiting Mainland Chinese to the restaurant, who was supposedly overjoyed and delighted
"to have at last found something he could eat in America."

Well, that may be. However, as even an old Roman epicurean once remarked during the reign of the Emperor Trajan : "Hunger makes the best sauce."

It would have had to.

In the meanwhile : "Bu Hao !!" - ("No Good !!")

I'll try again in another year or two.

For now, "No More to Kum Yon's !!"

Bulldog 1