“An OK Lunch Place on the Dock’”
Review of The Sea Basket

The Sea Basket
Ranked #10 of 12 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We’ve eaten lunch here every time we’ve visited Charleston, over the past 25 years. This restaurant has not changed much, if at all. A tired facility. Seems to be a popular place with locals. Service was fine but a long wait for the food, even though the place was less than half full. The food (Clam Chowder and Fish and Chips) met our expectations and the portions were quite adequate. The ambience (or lack of it) leaves a lot to be desired so we decided to take our meal out and we enjoyed the food at a picnic table on the edge of the marina dock.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

I was not happy with my visit. The owner seems to cut corners at all costs. I was overcharged for my purchase. My friend got a very bad stomach ache after eating here. The service was terrible. A woman named Felicia seemed nice but all the others had very poor customer service. They nickel and dime everything they even charge people a dollar to use the bathroom if you are not a customer. When I was overcharged by the cashier she acted like it was my fault and couldn't believe I was complaining over a dollar but really if they overcharged everyone it adds up. I was with my two kids my friend with her two kids and my boyfriend and his daughter, we were all disappointed and wished we had spent our money elsewhere. The seat we were sitting on was not stable it seems to come out of wall. Rude dirty and ran by a tight wad in it for the mighty dollar instead of the greater good. I praise good customer service and I try to give the benefit of the doubt but this place was just not ok. Oh we also had a dirty cup with hard food stuck in the inside. Yuck I love Charleston and the harbor but this restaurant owner needs to treat her employees better and improve the restaurant quality and quantity.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Everybody else says the same thing ... and I'll throw one more vote onto the "yes"
pile.

Almost a beaten down waterfront shack ... with a cast of customers and "regulars" to match. But good food, a friendly staff, a full bar with a good selection of beers, and
some tempting desserts in the refrigerated showcase.

The motto is "The Safest Bar in the Harbor !!" And I can believe it. Obviously
great for a waterfront/marina breakfast, and a long standing favorite of
the folks who live and work in the area.

A small kitchen sign advises that they source their oysters from "Chuck's" up the road,
which fact tells you a lot, as "Chuck's" is the topmost for seafood quality.

Reaching again for an appropriate image, the impression reminds you, say, of a
domino parlor and bar in Hinton, Oklahoma. As comfortable as a well-worn old
shoe.

That said, I am from New Orleans ... and I missed getting the "Oyster Po'Boy" sandwich the first time. However, I did have the fine fried oysters, french fries,
clam chowder, and a cold draft beer. Which hit the spot. But I'll be back.

Bulldog 1
Coos Bay

1  Thank BULLDOG742014
Reviewed 1 July 2017

Fish and chips are great. Friendly folks. Right by the docks. Not much to look on the outside but it's the food that counts.

1  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 26 June 2017

A place the locals hang out for breakfast, lunch and supper. Simple fare, mostly seafood baskets and sandwiches. Nothing fancy but the food is very good and quite reasonably priced. Their clam chowder is excellent and they offer the best oyster po-boy in the west..

1  Thank Jon B