“Decent meal, but not as good as you might expect by location.”
Review of Portside

Portside
Reserve with OpenTable
Portside is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 12 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We stopped for an early dinner/late lunch. I saw the fleet of commercial fishing boats behind the restaurant and said "this place HAS to have good fish."

We walked in and the atmosphere is kind of plain, kind of touristy. Not terrible, but I wasn't scared. There were only a couple tables dining and the boss was sitting at one of them. Our waiter did a good job selling us and was friendly too.

We ordered the Crab Bisque to share as an appetizer (I think it's meant as a meal). It was quite large and loaded with Dungeness crab. All three of us loved it! My daughter wished she had ordered one just for her.

I was talked into the special "Halibut Cheeks". Now, I'm a professional fisherman who eats a lot of fish. I know the cheeks are usually the tendersit, tastiest part, so I sprung for the extra $ to get it. The wife ordered the regular Pacific Cod, and my child ordered a halibut fillet.

I'll start with my child's since it was actually the best. Cooked properly, with a mild sauce, it was tasty and a decent portion. My wife's cod was in a very tasty sauce, but otherwise tasteless fish. My halibut cheeks were a major disappointment. It was a very small portion of meat served sauteed in a mild sauce. The fish was way overcooked and tough, not to mention tasteless. The most expensive dish was the worst.

The service was good, although with very few tables it had better be.

Would I go back? If I was in the area I would give them another try, but my expectations would be a lot lower.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

We wanted some good fish for lunch and this looked like the place to get it. I ordered the steamed clams and deep fried crab. The steamed clams were full of sand and weren't very tasty at all. The deep fried crab was disgusting. I wound up pulling off the soggy, nasty batter and underneath it was what tasted like frozen crab. No taste at all except for a nasty taste. At least my glass of wine was good. My husband had the fish and chips and he had no complaints about it. There were some seedy-looking people lurking around the front entrance and that made me uncomfortable. We won't go back even if we're ever in that area again. The one plus was that they have a nice view of the bay. Other than that, I'd go somewhere else.

Thank K. B
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Portside has been in business for well over thirty years and has had its ups and downs. We have returned, after a several year hiatus, to find a rejuvenated menu and a substantial pickup in food preparation (the quality of raw material has always been very good). The ambiance is delightful with most tables having a great view of the water. Portside has a lounge with a well-stocked bar, also with great water views. Seafood is the order of the day and is always fresh off the boat. The menu frequently has specials that just aren't available elsewhere (Portside has its own fishing boats). Dishes are well prepared, generous and not too pricey (most entrees in the ~$20 range). For those unfortunate souls who do not like seafood, there are plenty of choices, too.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I took my family here and was surprised. The inside is very nice and has great views. We all had fish and chip and they were very good, light breading and not oily. Can't wait to go back and explore their menu.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Very well established restaurant with the same owner. Offers fresh, locally caught seafood every day, nightly dinner specials and full service bar/lounge. Open for lunch and dinner, daily. Great happy hour specials. A bit on the pricey side, but a favorite for special occasions.